Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    But we're not talking about other teams....we've solely been discussing Toulon and the signings they've made?! We've been even listing the specific players. :rolleyes:

I'm out.

You're trying to make the argument that this doesn't make sense for Toulon because they won't be able to play a lot of these players in Europe due to the Kolpak rule.

What I'm trying to say is that most French teams don't care about Europe and most French teams also sign loads of foreigners. So even if it doesn't make sense from an Irish perspective, Toulon aren't doing anything out of the ordinary for French rugby other than the sheer amount of money they're spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

troyzer wrote: »
    You're trying to make the argument that this doesn't make sense for Toulon because they won't be able to play a lot of these players in Europe due to the Kolpak rule..

No I'm not and never said anything remotely like that.

No I'm not and never said anything remotely like that.

Alright well you did point out that they wouldn't be able to get them all on the pitch at the same time.

Which is true in Europe anyway but I'm not sure they particularly care. I mean, obviously they don't or they wouldn't have put themselves in that situation. It's clear that the French in general don't really care that much about Europe, or else they wouldn't be splashing out on squads they can't field in Europe at full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Fekitoa is going to Wasps isn't he? Whitelock isn't leaving NZ. He's taking over the captaincy after Read leaves. At least that's what I read somewhere. Savea would be in the same situation as Nacewa and Tomane. He would be eligible for a Samoan passport even though he was born in NZ so he won't be affected by Kolpak restrictions.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Fekitoa is going to Wasps isn't he? Whitelock isn't leaving NZ. He's taking over the captaincy after Read leaves. At least that's what I read somewhere. Savea would be in the same situation as Nacewa and Tomane. He would be eligible for a Samoan passport even though he was born in NZ so he won't be affected by Kolpak restrictions.

It's depressing that Whitelock has only just turned 30. Himself and Retallick potentially have another two RWCs as the top pairing in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Whitelock isn't leaving NZ. He's taking over the captaincy after Read leaves. At least that's what I read somewhere.

I don't know, 2 days ago there was a million articles across French media and a few in NZ saying that Whitelock to Toulon was nearly a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's the crux of the problem with French rugby. Tons of great foreign imports and limited prospects for actual French men to compete and improve.
    I firmly believe that all of these signings hamper development in France.
    Toulon do care about Europe. They won 3 in a row iirc.
    Yet, they barely beat a Leinster side in the semis a few years back. That Leinster team was not a great side and still a wayward pass cost us.
    I guess the bigger the stars, the more cashflow for the owners as attendance must be very good.
    Even, would have fit an Ulster Jersey just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I don't know, 2 days ago there was a million articles across French media and a few in NZ saying that Whitelock to Toulon was nearly a done deal.

Did it specify which Whitelock? There are four of them. But I think only 2 are still playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Did it specify which Whitelock? There are four of them. But I think only 2 are still playing.

Sam. The good one.

Apparently Jackson is now bound for London Irish and not Lyon. Makes sense given Kiss is there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Apparently Jackson is now bound for London Irish and not Lyon. Makes sense given Kiss is there.

Makes no sense, can't see it happening what with the recent media interest again... going to LI would make him a target

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Makes no sense, can't see it happening what with the recent media interest again... going to LI would make him a target

I don't think the English give a fiddlers any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

I think the pressure on London Irish to stay up will outweigh any media pressure. International standard 10's at a low price and with open availability are like hen's teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think the pressure on London Irish to stay up will outweigh any media pressure. International standard 10's at a low price and with open availability are like hen's teeth.

Not sure how well he has been going. Apparently he was booed off the pitch by Perpignan fans at the Connacht match yesterday when he was subbed.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not sure how well he has been going. Apparently he was booed off the pitch by Perpignan fans at the Connacht match yesterday when he was subbed.

Even if he's not in form he's a far better 10 than most newly promoted clubs could hope to sign.

Interesting that the two most recent promoted English teams will have Irish 10's. Exeter did too. Fly-half is a huge position of weakness in England. So much dross.

Just reading the Mike Ross book now.

Excellent read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

troyzer wrote: »
    Just reading the Mike Ross book now.

Excellent read so far.

He had some nice interviews across the autumn. Really enjoyed listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Irish Rugby legend Leonardo Sarto has signed for Leicester Tigers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Leicester seem to really like their Italians, was it not them that raided Benetton a few years back?

• Advertisement

Yet another exciting back that can enjoy being paid stupid money to score exactly 0 tries as his pack crumbles faster than Michael Cohen under questioning!

Leicester are ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yet another exciting back that can enjoy being paid stupid money to score exactly 0 tries as his pack crumbles faster than Michael Cohen under questioning!

Leicester are ****ed.

They're probably paying him crap, I think he was without a club up till now.

errlloyd wrote: »
    They're probably paying him crap, I think he was without a club up till now.

If it was any other club I'd agree, but Leicester love throwing money at backs to the detriment of the rest of their squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,561 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Welsh rugby makes dream team look believable

https://twitter.com/PontypoolRFC/status/1080850424255733760?s=19

DGRulz wrote: »

Leicester seem to really like their Italians, was it not them that raided Benetton a few years back?

Leicester tried to set up an academy in Dublin a few years ago thinking they could nab some of the school's talent.

They've always been ones for seeking talent abroad and developing it in Leicester. Which, to be honest, is better than just shelling out **** loads of cash on mercenaries like Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Caron Hayman has been suspended by Pau after getting into a row with players

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If it was any other club I'd agree, but Leicester love throwing money at backs to the detriment of the rest of their squad.

*Ulster waves*

mfceiling wrote: »
    *Ulster waves*

*Marty Moore waves back* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Some chat in the Mail on Sunday that the Premiership clubs are considering breaking from the RFU.

There may be trouble ahead...but then the minute CVC got involved it was inevitable.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Some chat in the Mail on Sunday that the Premiership clubs are considering breaking from the RFU.

There may be trouble ahead...but then the minute CVC got involved it was inevitable.

This is the start of the next new Heineken Cup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement