Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    Some chat in the Mail on Sunday that the Premiership clubs are considering breaking from the RFU.

There may be trouble ahead...but then the minute CVC got involved it was inevitable.

Nah there’s no chance of that happening. Just posturing.

The English clubs aren’t going to turn their backs on European rugby and the English players aren’t going to turn their backs on international rugby, which is where they make the majority of their money respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's surprising that the rfu allowed this to happen.
    They should have maintained a stake in each team. It seems like they have no control whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Dubinusa wrote: »
    They should have maintained a stake in each team. It seems like they have no control whatsoever.

They never had a stake in each team which to maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    They never had a stake in each side in the first place. Its 12 teams how many million would that have cost the RFU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

The RFU and the clubs are completely seperate and always have been.

The only real relationship they have is that the RFU pays the clubs to release players during the international windows and also provides grants on the condition that they play X amount of English eligible players in their squads.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah there’s no chance of that happening. Just posturing.

The English clubs aren’t going to turn their backs on European rugby and the English players aren’t going to turn their backs on international rugby, which is where they make the majority of their money respectively.
    If the Premiership clubs break away the RFU would still have to select their players. Who else are they going to pick?

I bet they'd be let in to European rugby tournaments as well. Again, who would take their place?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    If the Premiership clubs break away the RFU would still have to select their players. Who else are they going to pick?

I bet they'd be let in to European rugby tournaments as well. Again, who would take their place?

Well the clubs can't break away in the sense that any tournament they set up needs RFU approval. If they do not get it then anyone playing in the tournament will be ineligible for international rugby. It is the single biggest chip the RFU have to play and I can't see them letting it go. A breakaway is a non-starter without tacit RFU support (thus not really making it a breakaway in the classic sense).

awec wrote: »

They won't be allowed to play international rugby unless they're playing regularly in World Rugby approved tournaments. The only way any team can play in a World Rugby approved tournament in the country of England is if they are given express permission by the RFU. Similarly, the only way a club can play in European rugby is if they are playing in a world rugby endorsed tournament.

The RFU's funding makes up a huge chunk of Premiership clubs' income. Another huge chunk of it comes from EPCR TV money. There are other clubs that money can go to and players and coaches can sign for those clubs, as messy as it would be (so messy that it'll never happen).

troyzer wrote: »
    The RFU and the clubs are completely seperate and always have been.

They are not completely separate. The LTA joins them very closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Paul Kimmage having another go at rugby in the Indo - I'm all for making rugby safer , but has he ever anything positive to say about the game - rugby does help people stay fit, avoid things like smoking and to have a healthy diet - most things in life have some danger , but it seams relentless negative from him - was Kimmage himself not a drug cheat ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

What's he on about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

thebaz wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage having another go at rugby in the Indo - I'm all for making rugby safer , but has he ever anything positive to say about the game - rugby does help people stay fit, avoid things like smoking and to have a healthy diet - most things in life have some danger , but it seams relentless negative from him - was Kimmage himself not a drug cheat ?

Kimmage never really has anything positive to say about anything he writes about.

Paul Kimmage having another go at rugby in the Indo - I'm all for making rugby safer , but has he ever anything positive to say about the game - rugby does help people stay fit, avoid things like smoking and to have a healthy diet - most things in life have some danger , but it seams relentless negative from him - was Kimmage himself not a drug cheat?
    That's the way he writes. Always critical/analysing things. Plenty critical of other(all) sports as well.
    He makes a few fair points. Dont think his personal experience should make him not be able to criticise sports for drugs and taking them.

What's he on about now?

same stuff he wrote last year , with a dig at O'Gara , some of his points are valid , but ther is no sense of balance to what he writes (and he used to be an excellent writer) - he seams to just hate rugby for some reason.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/paul-kimmage-parents-are-wondering-if-rugby-is-the-right-sport-for-their-kids-what-do-explayers-really-think-37683720.html

same stuff he wrote last year, with a dig at O'Gara, some of his points are valid, but ther is no sense of balance to what he writes (and he used to be an excellent writer) - he seams to just hate rugby for some reason.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/paul-kimmage-parents-are-wondering-if-rugby-is-the-right-sport-for-their-kids-what-do-explayers-really-think-37683720.html
    He doesnt "hate" rugby though.
    He still is an excellent writer.

He doesnt "hate" rugby though.
    He still is an excellent writer.

once again we disagree - he certainly was an excellent writer , but no balance to what he wrires today, never read anything positive on rugby by him - and for me I find it all a bit hard to take, when he was a drug cheat himself.

once again we disagree - he certainly was an excellent writer , but no balance to what he wrires today, never read anything positive on rugby by him - and for me I find it all a bit hard to take, when he was a drug cheat himself.
    :rolleyes: no need to say we disagree every time you post.
    He still is an excellent writer. He is quite critical of most things. Thats his Modus operandi. Dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to criticise people in relation to drugs/banned substances simply because he did during his cycling career

:rolleyes: no need to say we disagree every time you post.
    He still is an excellent writer. He is quite critical of most things. Thats his Modus operandi. Dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to criticise people in relation to drugs/banned substances simply because he did during his cycling career

well we disagree, I think he is no longer a good writer

well we disagree, I think he is no longer a good writer
    We all get that so either put me on your ignore list or stop telling everyone....
    I think his writing is still good. He quite often looks critically at things so will be negative a lot but i dont see how is writing is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,561 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

We all get that so either put me on your ignore list or stop telling everyone....
    I think his writing is still good. He quite often looks critically at things so will be negative a lot but i dont see how is writing is poor.

It's excellent article which poses genuine questions which are a big concern for the game going forward.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/paul-kimmage-parents-are-wondering-if-rugby-is-the-right-sport-for-their-kids-what-do-explayers-really-think-37683720.html

• Advertisement

and you stop petty sniping at every comment i post

The fabled McKenna-Kimmage axis was certainly due a rant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kimmage is an excellent journalist, that article isn't one of his best pieces though.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Kimmage is an excellent journalist, that article isn't one of his best pieces though.
    Yeah, it seems he has licence to write a rant or two between his real articles. Last week's interview with Eddie Jordan was great entertaining stuff. No reference to F1's safety record or dubious morals in that piece I notice though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

it reminds me of

have you got your homework done
    yep, all done
    show me so
    i'll just be a min......quickly writes any old ****e down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Daily Mail has an article up saying CVC wldont want to stop with their takeover of Premiership Rugby. They want test rugby as well. I can only imagine what they'll do to that to make max profits.

Clegg wrote: »
    The Daily Mail has an article up saying CVC wldont want to stop with their takeover of Premiership Rugby. They want test rugby as well. I can only imagine what they'll do to that to make max profits.

Will they be able to do that without WRU approval and are WRU likely to grant that approval?

Will they be able to do that without WRU approval and are WRU likely to grant that approval?

What have the WRU got to do with it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I presume he means World Rugby and its never going to happen.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I presume he means World Rugby and its never going to happen.

Each of the six nations have the rights to their own tests outside of the Six Nations as far as I know and are free to sell the television rights to these games to the highest bidder.

I don't see how World Rugby could stop England for example selling all of the commercial rights to a third party who then also have a hand in organising games, directing marketing etc.

But World Rugby won't allow the teams to be privatised as such.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement