Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If they are listed FTA Live then the broadcasters will low ball their offer.

They should already be lowballing them. Unless the guys across the table are totally naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

The Times of London are reporting that the plan would be for a five week, round robin every November with additional time for a semi final and final before Christmas.

Obviously you couldn't play every team in five weeks so I imagine the plan is to have two, six team divisions with the top two in each making the playoffs.

World Rugby's consultants estimate it could be worth an additional £5-£10m for each union on top of existing revenue.

Which makes no sense to me because it would see the abolition of the summer and november series?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

troyzer wrote: »
    World Rugby's consultants estimate it could be worth an additional £5-£10m for each union on top of existing revenue.

I get ptsd from world rugby consultant reports.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I get ptsd from world rugby consultant reports.

So do I. We'll know a lot more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Well lads, quick question. Do any of you use the Premier Sports App for watching games and if so can it be viewed in Ireland? I've been trying to sign up but it's not recognising my postcode, so I'd say it's only available in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well lads, quick question. Do any of you use the Premier Sports App for watching games and if so can it be viewed in Ireland? I've been trying to sign up but it's not recognising my postcode, so I'd say it's only available in the UK.

I registered from Ireland back in September so they may have changed it.

You had to be in the UK to watch it back then though. Recently I've been viewing it in Ireland with no issues or workarounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Times of London are reporting that the plan would be for a five week, round robin every November with additional time for a semi final and final before Christmas.

Obviously you couldn't play every team in five weeks so I imagine the plan is to have two, six team divisions with the top two in each making the playoffs.

Which makes no sense to me because it would see the abolition of the summer and november series?

Clubs and EPCR will have a canary - playoffs clashing with the pre-Christmas HEC games?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Clubs and EPCR will have a canary - playoffs clashing with the pre-Christmas HEC games?

Yeah. It's a bit frustrating. The Premiership want everything to revolve around them and as likable as Pichot is, he seems to be in the same boat. He wants pretty much the entire northern hemisphere game to change whereas none of these proposals seem to seriously change anything in the southern hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Peregrine wrote: »
    I registered from Ireland back in September so they may have changed it.

You had to be in the UK to watch it back then though. Recently I've been viewing it in Ireland with no issues or workarounds.

I'm wondering may it be possible to register from some old postcode in the North and if it would work. I might give it a go this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Yeah. It's a bit frustrating. The Premiership want everything to revolve around them and as likable as Pichot is, he seems to be in the same boat. He wants pretty much the entire northern hemisphere game to change whereas none of these proposals seem to seriously change anything in the southern hemisphere.

Eh, is he? I've yet to see him suggest a single thing I was in favor of.

• Advertisement

DGRulz wrote: »

Eh, is he? I've yet to see him suggest a single thing I was in favor of.

I don't mean in his current role. I mean as a player and I suppose to a certain extent I like his honesty. He's not one of the old blazers and he's happy to break some taboos which is refreshing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it involves Six Nations teams playing each other in November it should be killed right out the gate.

awec wrote: »

If it involves Six Nations teams playing each other in November it should be killed right out the gate.

I think that's the idea but you're right, seems like a non starter.

Does Pichot actually think he can browbeat the north into diluting their primary revenue source or is it part of some overall strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'm wondering may it be possible to register from some old postcode in the North and if it would work. I might give it a go this evening.
    Check p.m.

Here it is laid out in all of its bull****..

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/relegation-from-the-six-nations-could-be-introduced-as-part-of-radical-shakeup-to-form-new-world-league-37763098.html

I love how Pichot wants the northern hemisphere to introduce relegation but not the south. This is such an outrageously disagreeable proposal that he has to be just softening up the ground for a more realistic one later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In isolation, a five week AI window sounds horrible. 4 games, granted that 1 is against a tier 2 nation, is already overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

And a 3 test tour in August/Sept travelling to any 3 of S Africa, NZ, Arg, Fiji, Aus, Japan. Some air miles! I presume it would be over 3 or 4 weeks so do the leagues not start til end of Sept?

I presume Fiji would be playing in Australia.

I can't see how this will work. I bet Sky are the broadcaster, only too delighted to overshadow BT's Premiership coverage.

I have put a link on that Indo article.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/relegation-from-the-six-nations-could-be-introduced-as-part-of-radical-shakeup-to-form-new-world-league-37763098.html

Brendan Fanning also had an article in the Indo re the 6 Nations making a balls of their sponsorship deals over the last few years. The figures aren't pretty, no doubt Brexit playing its part. The Scots or Welsh don't come out too well either if all is factual.
    Can't find his article now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Both of Montpellier's wings, Nagusa and Nadolo have retired from international rugby in a RWC year, effective immediately. Fierce coincidence.

Cheers Mohad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Both of Montpellier's wings, Nagusa and Nadolo have retired from international rugby in a RWC year, effective immediately. Fierce coincidence.

Cheers Mohad.

That's an enormous shame, what the ****.

I was just reading a bit about the background of Montpellier owner Altrad and how he took over the club.

Born in a desert outside Raqqa in Syria and conceived through the rape of his mother who was 13. His older brother was conceived in the same manner and was killed by his father it seems.

He took over Montpellier on the request of the town mayor as the club was on the brink, though he had never been at a rugby game.

Obviously between the above 2 he did well for himself.

• Advertisement

Cheers Mohad.

I'm missing the bigger picture here. Why is this a coincidence? What has this got to do with Mohad?

I'm missing the bigger picture here. Why is this a coincidence? What has this got to do with Mohad?

He doesn't want the players playing for Fiji in a WC when they could be playing for his club.
    An extra lump of cash sorted that or perhaps a renewed or longer contract. Presumably the Top14 will be overlapping or the players would have to be released for national training meetups while the Top 14 is on.

He doesn't want the players playing for Fiji in a WC when they could be playing for his club.
    An extra lump of cash sorted that or perhaps a renewed or longer contract.

What a c**t.

It's a funny one, I can see both sides of it.

Lorenzetti pays a premium on Simon Zebos salary in the knowledge he will get the player exclusively. Why can't Altrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's a funny one, I can see both sides of it.

Lorenzetti pays a premium on Simon Zebos salary in the knowledge he will get the player exclusively. Why can't Altrad?

Bit of a different situation, Zebo has said he would love to still be included in the Irish team while playing with Racing, meaning he would not be playing for Racing during the international windows. But it's the Irish team not selecting him.

Altrad on the other hand has paid for the two Fijians to retire from international duty altogether, so as to keep them in France during the international window.

If Ireland were to include Zebo in the squad, he'd be gone for the international window and Lorenzetti could do nothing about it. It's only camps/games outside that window he can control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is there actually confirmation that Altrad had anything to do with these retirements or is it a complete assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    Is there actually confirmation that Altrad had anything to do with these retirements or is it a complete assumption?

Complete assumption.

Would never be any confirmation for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Ireland called Zebo up tomorrow he'd show up, that's the difference.

This is dreadful for the a sport that's already ridiculed for having so few competitive international sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Complete assumption.

Would never be any confirmation for something like that.

Of course but have they even signed new contracts of late?

Otherwise it's all a bit over the top. They wouldn't be the first Fijians to walk away from the national set up whilst in their prime.

• Advertisement

Bit of a different situation, Zebo has said he would love to still be included in the Irish team while playing with Racing, meaning he would not be playing for Racing during the international windows. But it's the Irish team not selecting him.

Altrad on the other hand has paid for the two Fijians to retire from international duty altogether, so as to keep them in France during the international window.

If Ireland were to include Zebo in the squad, he'd be gone for the international window and Lorenzetti could do nothing about it. It's only camps/games outside that window he can control.

Yeah, but the reality is that Nadolo walks into his contract negotiation, he says "I am better than Simon Zebo, why does he get paid more than me"

Altrad says "Well Racing are betting that he won't get called up by Ireland so he's dedicated to them"

Nadolo should be able to say "Well, if you're willing to pay me more I will guarantee I don't get called up by Fiji".

Altrad has a salary cap, if Nadolo wants to play for Fiji I am sure he can take a financial hit for his contract next year. He'll realistically miss 8/9 games at minimum, of a 26 game regular domestic season. That's a third of the season, plus all the pre season and training. So if he's willing to go in and say "pay me 70% of what you paid me last year" I am sure he could go to the world cup.

I think Tier 2 nations should be able to apply for financial help paying match fees to player during the world cup in order to allow them to make such arrangements with their clubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement