Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If Selponi is going to there next season in the ProD2 you may as well stick with him.

Reading the match report on Rugbyrama, it seems Selponi was brilliant.

I don't think either Jackson or the club will have any pleasant memories of his time there.

Another six months of no game time is the last thing Jackson needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Reports apparently that Savea has been released from Toulon a year early? I knew he was stinking up the place but Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    Reports apparently that Savea has been released from Toulon a year early? I knew he was stinking up the place but Jesus.

Article is over on the French rugby thread, but Boudjellal went on a mad one saying he should've had Savea do a DNA test, and that he should just apologise and go home.

It's hilarious stuff really, Savea phoned it in from day one, and Toulon are finally getting truly bit in the arse for paying extravagant money for missionaries rather than developing their own players. What's not to like?

Article is over on the French rugby thread, but Boudjellal went on a mad one saying he should've had Savea do a DNA test, and that he should just apologise and go home.

It's hilarious stuff really, Savea phoned it in from day one, and Toulon are finally getting truly bit in the arse for paying extravagant money for missionaries rather than developing their own players. What's not to like?

He's been woeful so far. One try in ten appearances is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

The writing was on the wall well before he moved. Don't know whether it's injury, work ethic or a combination but he is a busted flush.

Toulon won multiple titles with aging mercs so I doubt this will change too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Dougie Howlett tried to get Savea to go to Munster...I wouldn't mind him giving him a call again.

hahashake wrote: »
    The writing was on the wall well before he moved. Don't know whether it's injury, work ethic or a combination but he is a busted flush.

Toulon won multiple titles with aging mercs so I doubt this will change too much.

They haven't won anything since 2015. And Boujdellal is starting to lose the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They haven't won anything since 2015. And Boujdellal is starting to lose the head.

Mourad loses the head every week. Its nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

:pac:

stephen_n wrote: »
    :pac:

Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He's been woeful so far. One try in ten appearances is shocking.

Thats Luke Fitzgerald numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is he anything more than a name at this point? I would be very hesitant to approach him about a move. It's a pity, he had the world at his feet at the last RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Dougie Howlett tried to get Savea to go to Munster...I wouldn't mind him giving him a call again.

On current form I'd pick Howlett over him.. :p

It's hard to imagine anyone less suited to Toulon than Savea.

None of the Irish provinces would be allowed to even approach him.

Eod100 wrote: »
    On current form I'd pick Howlett over him.. :p

The guy is absolute class...he went to a nuthouse, lunatic owner... doesn't speak the language at all and hasn't settled in France.
    With the systems in place at Munster he'd thrive, no doubt at all on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's been talk of Savea being in decline since 2016. He definitely isn't world class anymore. But I'm not sure he's as bad as his Toulon appearances suggests. It's a batcase club.

I certainly wouldn't have him at Leinster however. I don't think he'd start for Munster either.

Perfect signing for Ulster so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The guy is absolute class...he went to a nuthouse, lunatic owner... doesn't speak the language at all and hasn't settled in France.
    With the systems in place at Munster he'd thrive, no doubt at all on that score.

Ah I was being fairly tongue in cheek! Could work but tbh say there's a very slim chance of it ever happening

Ah, I don't know if even the MUNSTER ETHOS could rescue this one.

This is a job for Bill Belichick.

• Advertisement

I reckon a strict S&C programme and good coaching could make him a decent enough player again. He's only 28. The problem is that positions and players that rely heavily on that extra yard of pace will feel the impact of injuries the most - case in point Nehe Milner-Skudder, who is coincidentally going to Toulon.

Ah, I don't know if even the MUNSTER ETHOS could rescue this one.

I kinda meant having a kiwi looking out for him and it being an English speaking club :D

We could instill some pashun too of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In breaking news a DNA test for Julian Savea has shown he’s neither Kiwi nor Samoan but instead « South Sea Islander ».

« That explains it all (ça explique tout)» said Toulon boss Mourad Boudjellal in another one of his cryptic statements.

Given that the term South Sea Islander doesn’t even exist south of the equator, there could be a legal case for false representation to answer for Savea and his agent.

It’s thought however that Savea’s legal team will simply show footage of him being shìt ever since the 2015 RWC, so there is little chance the charge will stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It’s thought however that Savea’s legal team will simply show footage of him being shìt ever since the 2015 RWC, so there is little chance the charge will stand.

That seems to have been lost in all of this. Savea was on the decline long before moving to France. I imagine one of the reasons he went to France was because he was well out of the picture for NZ by that point having been left out of a few squads.

I'm not sure what team will want him because I'm sure he'll still be looking for some serious money.

Buer wrote: »
    swiwi_ wrote: »

That seems to have been lost in all of this. Savea was on the decline long before moving to France. I imagine one of the reasons he went to France was because he was well out of the picture for NZ by that point having been left out of a few squads.

I'm not sure what team will want him because I'm sure he'll still be looking for some serious money.

He was awful with the Hurricanes and Ioane becoming a starter was as much to do with Savea's decline than Ioane's form.

It's sad really and it happens to too many players of islander descent. I remember Billy Vunipola talking about his brush with alcoholism and how it nearly derailed him.

Ben Ryan talked about it as well when he was the Fiji 7s coach.

So many of them are just outrageously talented but fall off the wagon. In Savea's case, it's just his complete lack of conditioning and effort.

Buer wrote: »

Loads of money in England at the moment, Wasps might go for a replacement for Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wasps have signed Matteo Minozzi for next season. He's an excellent signing for them I feel. He's electric at fullback.

Still doesn't change the fact that they need another three quality forwards.

Clegg wrote: »
    Wasps have signed Matteo Minozzi for next season. He's an excellent signing for them I feel. He's electric at fullback.

Still doesn't change the fact that they need another three quality forwards.

They've Fekitoa on the way also. Toomaga-Allen and Jack Owlett both signed at TH. They'll be digging in for a 2nd row or backrow (or both) as we come to the end of the season I reckon.

• Advertisement

Interestingly out of the many former players who have publicly shown support for J. Savea, Drew Mitchell called out Mourad as well. Hard to criticise Mitchell's Toulon stint which gives a bit more credibility to Julian.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement