Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Lopez and Parra dropped from French team, Ntamack to start at 10. That French team is starting to become a bit of a joke. Parra’s criticism of their lack of preparation is not the reason he’s dropped. Though in fairness he wasn’t great against England. But playing a 19 year old at OH who doesn’t play there regularly for his club is insane at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    Lopez and Parra dropped from French team, Ntamack to start at 10. That French team is starting to become a bit of a joke. Parra’s criticism of their lack of preparation is not the reason he’s dropped. Though in fairness he wasn’t great against England. But playing a 19 year old at OH who doesn’t play there regularly for his club is insane at international level.

It's France. This is a nation who gave Morgan Parra his first ever test start at outhalf in the RWC final.

They did something very similar to the Ntamack call with Michalak who was playing more as a scrumhalf when he first broke through at Toulouse but was starting at outhalf for France just after his 19th birthday so it's not out of the question for France to make this sort of move. They've played lads like Doussain and Jauzion at outhalf in big test matches in the past too, I recall.

When you're this deep in the mire, you have to roll the dice and see if something can be salvaged. If Ntamack lights it up and kicks on in the same way either of the above did, it will be a masterstroke. Most likely they'll splutter to victory and half the team will be changed again but it'll be fun finding out what happens.

• Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    It's France. This is a nation who gave Morgan Parra his first ever test start at outhalf in the RWC final.

They did something very similar to the Ntamack call with Michalak who was playing more as a scrumhalf when he first broke through at Toulouse but was starting at outhalf for France just after his 19th birthday so it's not out of the question for France to make this sort of move. They've played lads like Doussain and Jauzion at outhalf in big test matches in the past too, I recall.

When you're this deep in the mire, you have to roll the dice and see if something can be salvaged. If Ntamack lights it up and kicks on in the same way either of the above did, it will be a masterstroke. Most likely they'll splutter to victory and half the team will be changed again but it'll be fun finding out what happens.
    Scotland will beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

If I was Brunel and I actually cared I'd throw caution to the wind and give that half back pairing as many minutes as possible.

It's the only chance at salvaging a legacy. Because they have the potential to be the best half back pairing in the world

Buer wrote: »

I think Scotland will beat them, they’re a compelete mess and Brunel is past his sell by date. To fail to prepare and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think Scotland will beat them, they’re a compelete mess and Brunel is past his sell by date. To fail to prepare and all that...

scotland will have the seconds out though.......

sydthebeat wrote: »
    scotland will have the seconds out though.......

Who other than Russell and Hogg are they missing? They got a few players back this week including Fagerson.

Who other than Russell and Hogg are they missing? They got a few players back this week including Fagerson.

Stuart Hogg, Huw Jones, Finn Russell, Ryan Wilson, Sam Skinner, WP Nel, Hamish Watson, Dave Denton, Blade Thomson, John Hardie, John Barclay

Basically a starting prop, lock, whole back row, out half, outside center and full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Stuart Hogg, Huw Jones, Finn Russell, Ryan Wilson, Sam Skinner, WP Nel, Hamish Watson, Dave Denton, Blade Thomson, John Hardie, John Barclay

Basically a starting prop, lock, whole back row, out half, outside center and full back.

I thought Nel was back, but obviously not. Yeah I suppose that’s just too many holes to fill. The French are so poor and so badly prepared I’d still give them a chance.

• Advertisement

I thought Nel was back, but obviously not. Yeah I suppose that’s just too many holes to fill. The French are so poor and so badly prepared I’d still give them a chance.

i would too.....

the strange thing is though, the french half backs would fill me with greater excitement than the scottish ones...
    if france can stay somewhat structured in defense they will win this

i would too.....

the strange thing is though, the french half backs would fill me with greater excitement than the scottish ones...
    if france can stay somewhat structured in defense they will win this

Structured is not a word I’d associate with France at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/0221/1032047-tuilagi-could-miss-world-cup-if-moves-to-racing/

Who on earth came up with that headline? Obviously any move would happen AFTER the world cup ffs

Anyhow it surely makes sense for him, given his injury record. I'd doubt he would be a realistic prospect for RWC 23 anyway given his history. What an addition to Racing though

ETA - sorry thought headline would copy - "Tuilagi could miss World Cup if Racing move confirmed" to avoid clicking in :)

Just gonna leave this here.

Dz-EFCDWkAIb7ZP?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Strongest lock in the world flogs cheap doorpad.

Strongest lock in the world flogs cheap doorpad.

My Dad is a cobbler, Yale is one of the best brands out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SA Rugby have decided to make Springbok availability a free for all, ending the 30 cap floor for selecting overseas based players.

Thread here: https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/1099223391507304449?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

I remember reading there was in excess of 500 saffers playing outside of South Africa...it could be a huge boon to the national side

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

SA Rugby have decided to make Springbok availability a free for all, ending the 30 cap floor for selecting overseas based players.

Thread here: https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/1099223391507304449?s=19

Is Regulation 9 the one related to making players available for certain international games?

Good to see them making strides for SA to remain competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

SA Rugby has announced plans to invest in multiple Players of National interest.

national contracts?

This is clearly part of their move to the Pro14 full time. They wouldn't be willing to annihilate their club game like this.

What is it with Scottish scrum halves individually taping up all their fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bazzo wrote: »

It's not tape. It's the flour left over after They were frying Mars bars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Bazzo wrote: »

I'd imagine it is for grip when spinning the ball.

I'd imagine it is for grip when spinning the ball.

I mean I know literally what the tape is for, I was wondering why it's so prevalent among Scottish scrum halves (and pretty much nobody else)

Faf De Klerk only has 21 caps, does that mean he's not going to the World cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

After all the rugby of today. I just started watching Argentina v Uruguay in the Americas Rugby Cup on YouTube.

I desperately need to get out more.

OldRio wrote: »
    After all the rugby of today. I just started watching Argentina v Uruguay in the Americas Rugby Cup on YouTube.

I desperately need to get out more.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Jaguares v Bulls on in a few mins too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement