Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

troyzer wrote: »
    Link?

I'm on the phone but put in a search. Americas Rugby Championship. Argentina v Uruguay.

To be honest it came up on my live recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    Faf De Klerk only has 21 caps, does that mean he's not going to the World cup?

The 30 cap rule has been pretty much abandoned since Rassie came on board, hence FdK getting caps during the Rugby Championship.

The new change is that they're officially abandoning the rule, meaning any SA player abroad is fair game to be selected, but still looking to try and bring as many of them back to SA as possible.

I dunno. That tweet suggests to me that they are offering central contracts. They aren't offering central contracts to their top players to play in crap teams.

I think they are aiming to straddle the fence. Let players go abroad - continue to select them for international duty but only if as part of their negotiations they block out additional international availability. If they are going then they are gone anyway, banning them from International rugby simply means they won't consider it when signing deals. Now they will.

In conjunction with that they are going to start pushing French teams around and calling up plenty of the abroad players to ensure a large playing squad. They can also use potential call ups as leverage against French clubs to release just the specific players they want rather than all of them, and those specific players for an extra few weeks as a result.

I'd say the players that still choose to go, regardless of all above, will still play second fiddle at every possible opportunity.

Basically South African rugby has gone full Ireland.

I dunno. That tweet suggests to me that they are offering central contracts. They aren't offering central contracts to their top players to play in crap teams.

I think they are aiming to straddle the fence. Let players go abroad - continue to select them for international duty but only if as part of their negotiations they block out additional international availability. If they are going then they are gone anyway, banning them from International rugby simply means they won't consider it when signing deals. Now they will.

In conjunction with that they are going to start pushing French teams around and calling up plenty of the abroad players to ensure a large playing squad. They can also use potential call ups as leverage against French clubs to release just the specific players they want rather than all of them.

I'd say the players that still choose to go, regardless of all above, will still play second fiddle at every possible opportunity.

Basically South African rugby has gone full Ireland.

The issue with that though is players don't just leave South Africa for money. The political climate plays a part in it also, and you'll still see a lot of SA players head overseas.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but there'll be a significant transition period. I don't think it'll be like the Irish setup of where when you leave you're out unless extreme circumstances allow it for a good while.

The issue with that though is players don't just leave South Africa for money. The political climate plays a part in it also, and you'll still see a lot of SA players head overseas.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but there'll be a significant transition period. I don't think it'll be like the Irish setup of where when you leave you're out unless extreme circumstances allow it for a good while.

I agree with you, but I think they are aiming at Ireland - and will similarly never specify the rule but make it clear there is a rule. They'll probably never get as far with it as Ireland but they could replicate what the Welsh and Scots are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

They are reports that a new world league has been agreed for 2020. 12 teams will be in it which is the six nations teams, the rugby championships teams and USA and Japan.

It will consist of a round robin, semis and final over a 12 month period. The six nations will remain untouched apparently.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2019/02/new-rugby-world-league-reportedly-set-to-turn-back-on-pacific-islands.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They are reports that a new world league has been agreed for 2020. 12 teams will be in it which is the six nations teams, the rugby championships teams and USA and Japan.

It will consist of a round robin, semis and final over a 12 month period. The six nations will remain untouched apparently.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2019/02/new-rugby-world-league-reportedly-set-to-turn-back-on-pacific-islands.amp.html

Players have come out against this this morning, statements from Farrell, Sexton and Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Players have come out against this this morning, statements from Farrell, Sexton and Reid.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1101027487138701313?s=19

Couple of quotes from Kinsella.

Surely the world cup is totally devalued if this goes ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It really would be the death knell for tier two or emerging countries such as Georgia, Pacific Island teams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I made a dedicated thread for this world league here.

Feel free to use/not use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looks like it is a done deal. I guess Sky are the broadcaster. Big push to sign the deal before the 6N and Rugby Championship go after their next tv deal.

5 games in a row possibly in November/Dec if you get to the final. I guess Japan or US will be a middle game to ease the burden but presumably some teams could have 5 top level games.

It’s not a done deal

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

quite a good podcast today from 5 live rugby describing the relationship between referees and TMOs
    Wayne barnes and rowan kitt in studio

https://player.fm/series/rugby-union-weekly/try-yes-or-no

essentially the TMO is at the mercy of the host broadcasters director to offer the different camera angles.
    this can be awkward in countries where theres a bit of a language barrier and / or the host broadcaster director is in a different building / trailer than the TMO

also, the TMO is actively checking as much as they can in the lead up to every try even before any check is asked for..... and the TMO can actively say to the ref that they want to show the referee something in the build up, without being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

sydthebeat wrote: »
    quite a good podcast today from 5 live rugby describing the relationship between referees and TMOs
    Wayne barnes and rowan kitt in studio

https://player.fm/series/rugby-union-weekly/try-yes-or-no

essentially the TMO is at the mercy of the host broadcasters director to offer the different camera angles.
    this can be awkward in countries where theres a bit of a language barrier and / or the host broadcaster director is in a different building / trailer than the TMO

also, the TMO is actively checking as much as they can in the lead up to every try even before any check is asked for..... and the TMO can actively say to the ref that they want to show the referee something in the build up, without being asked.

That seems dodgy at best. Its pretty clear that host directors aren't even attempting to be neutral when offering camera angles and replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Could be big result for Bristol vs Gloucester. 4 mins to go. 25-24.

Newcastle playing Worchester this weekend too

Eod100 wrote: »
    Could be big result for Bristol vs Gloucester. 4 mins to go. 25-24.

Newcastle playing Worchester this weekend too

Madigan's 47m penalty seals it. First time beating Gloucester in the Premiership in 11 years apparently. Happy for him and Lam.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eod100 wrote: »
    Madigan's 47m penalty seals it. First time beating Gloucester in the Premiership in 11 years apparently. Happy for him and Lam.

How many of those 11 years were Bristol in the premiership?

How many of those 11 years were Bristol in the premiership?

No idea, only repeating what I heard on BT. :p I'm sure it's easily googable though

Big win for Newcastle today, was 17points to Worcester's 26 before this game so could have been 17 to 30 today, instead it's 21 to 26 points. Not sure it will be enough to keep them from last spot but makes things bit more interesting at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Kevski wrote: »

Just saw that this was blocked by the LNR over the weekend on medical grounds.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Just saw that this was blocked by the LNR over the weekend on medical grounds.

Maybe he just can’t handle the sport after he gave up all the steroids? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A neck issue has stopped Carter from signing. Juan Figallo was forced to leave Montpellier for a similar reason IIRC.

Kieran Read moving to Japan after the RWC. Guess distance to home helps but must be a decent amount of cash involved too. Will be interesting to see do many other players go this way after RWC. https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1103216066711511040?s=19

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/111030875/nasi-manu-feels-a-new-man-after-cancer-battle-now-eyes-rugby-world-cup-dream

great to hear that Nasi Manu is back training after surgery and his fight against testicular cancer

hopefully he can get back to form to make the tongan RWC squad

check yer nads lads !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's been a hideous 10 days for rugby and how badly it's governing bodies run the game.

So here's another story of mass incompetence to add to the pile! The RFU, the richest union in the world, is considering cutting it's 7's programme altogether and scaling back investment in grassroots rugby, in an effort to cut costs that have spiralled out of control since before the 2015 WC.

If they're having cashflow problems we'll no doubt start hearing more about lucrative offers from entities like CVC to take over the running of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Clegg wrote: »
    It's been a hideous 10 days for rugby and how badly it's governing bodies run the game.

So here's another story of mass incompetence to add to the pile! The RFU, the richest union in the world, is considering cutting it's 7's programme altogether and scaling back investment in grassroots rugby, in an effort to cut costs.

We've basically already done that with the women's 15s.

Clegg wrote: »

So here's another story of mass incompetence to add to the pile! The RFU, the richest union in the world, is considering cutting it's 7's programme altogether and scaling back investment in grassroots rugby, in an effort to cut costs that have spiralled out of control since before the 2015 WC.

If they're having cashflow problems we'll no doubt start hearing more about lucrative offers from entities like CVC to take over the running of the game.

The RFU have never looked at their 7s programme as a viable option, Ben Ryan has spoken about this a couple times in regards to 7s being treated like dirt from the RFU. Went into a fair amount of detail on The House of Rugby podcast a few months ago.

• Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 7s talk is one thing, the talk that they might sell off more of Premiership Rugby to CVC is another, much bigger deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

That is shocking, another of the many nails in the coffin of Aussie rugby at the moment, anyone have any idea what match they might be referring too? Ireland 2011 perhaps?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement