Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    With Hansen going I think there a possibility that Akira ioane could get a shot at taking the Jersey long term.

But maybe taufua will take it, or an outside shot of seu.

As a Highlanders fan, I don't think luke whitelock is good enough to be the kiwi 8

I agree. He's a good player. Works hard and tackles everything but isn't ever going to be a long term option for the ABs. Good bloke to have if there's an injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

A loss of depth more than a loss of a key player. He's a good role model for younger guys and with the ongoing player drain there aren't too many guys like him left in NZ.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eod100 wrote: »
    That's a pity. Hopefully they will find clubs in France if that's where they want to stay. Saw James Coughlan will be forwards coach with Provence next season. Wonder would there be a need for any of them there.

Not particularly, unless their current flankers get snapped up by whoever gets promoted. Not too many non JIFF spots left either I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sunwolves being axed from Super Rugby apparently https://twitter.com/JamiePandaram/status/1108192246011056128?s=19

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In a World Cup year in Japan. Nice.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    In a World Cup year in Japan. Nice.

Think they will play in 2020 but whole thing seems a mess

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Conference system gone too? Lucky them.

Pro14 need to watch this cautionary tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Sunwolves to Pro 14 for a great weekend away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-18/andrew-johns-nrl-head-knocks-epilepsy-concussion/10910634

This is horrible to read, but even worse to think that something similar might affect other top-class half-backs with a tendency to get hit high and hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Sunwolves being axed from Super Rugby apparently https://twitter.com/JamiePandaram/status/1108192246011056128?s=19

Sad news, what are the realistic options for them now? Joining a European league is out of the question due to time zones and the fact there really not particularly competitive. Is there much money envolved with the club? I know they love to run with the ball from what I’ve seen of them and make for some entertaining viewing so it’d be sad to see them just dissolve.

• Advertisement

I think so
    Sad news, what are the realistic options for them now? Joining a European league is out of the question due to time zones and the fact there really not particularly competitive. Is there much money envolved with the club? I know they love to run with the ball from what I’ve seen of them and make for some entertaining viewing so it’d be sad to see them just dissolve.

Looks like from this they a lot of their first team players will play in Japan's Top League and field a second string team in Super Rugby next season, after that who knows.

Guess this means Pro14 won't be expanded with another SA team anytime soon

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rugby/sunwolves-axed-from-super-rugby-competition-by-sanzaar/news-story/8097928cf4b94aabc02414af1774a1ff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Terrible decision imo. SANZAAR management has been god awful the last few years. SA are holding the other Unions hostage with their financial strength from sponsorship, meanwhile the Aus union continues to make the WRU look like models of professionalism with how they've run the game into the ground.

Terrible decision imo. SANZAAR management has been god awful the last few years. SA are holding the other Unions hostage with their financial strength from sponsorship, meanwhile the Aus union continues to make the WRU look like models of professionalism with how they've run the game into the ground.

I don't really follow the politics of it, how are SA so powerful? NZ have won most of the tournaments so would have thought they would be strongest. And with SA losing 2 of their clubs with Cheetahs and Kings, didn't think they had huge sway.

I don't really follow the politics of it, how are SA so powerful? NZ have won most of the tournaments so would have thought they would be strongest. And with SA losing 2 of their clubs with Cheetahs and Kings, didn't think they had huge sway.

The SA broadcasters contribute most of the money in terms of viewing rights afaik. Hence the desire for the Pro14 to pull them into their orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

As far as I know the Sunwolves aren't too popular among key people in Japanese rugby either given they already have a decent domestic competition. I think there is more appetite for the mooted international league.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

L'Equipe reporting that FFR are looking to get O'Gara in as a consultant as part of their RWC backroom staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

L'Equipe reporting that FFR are looking to get O'Gara in as a consultant as part of their RWC backroom staff.

He’d be best to stay well away from that sh1t show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

stephen_n wrote: »
    He’d be best to stay well away from that sh1t show.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Not really. The best Japanese players play for their clubs. A heap of the Sunwolves players are basically kiwis, Aussies, saffas and islanders. It’s not really a Japanese club.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I saw a recent starting lineup with only two Japanese players iirc. I think Swiwi is correct. It's a team for bulking up pensions.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

ROG has been building up a fairly strong CV in terms of coaching positions with Racing, Crusaders and being involved with the Irish setup under Joe for the summer tour, a stint with the FFR when their shop is still a mess would be a bit of a blemish on it I'd imagine if things go to sh1te as the French have a tendency of doing.

I saw a recent starting lineup with only two Japanese players iirc. I think Swiwi is correct. It's a team for bulking up pensions.

28 of the 55 players listed in their current squad aren't players eligible for the Japanese national team, and that's not including the handful of Tongans/NZ/Aussies who are eligible for Japan through residency.

Most of the Japanese players are in national camp at present

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Not really. The best Japanese players play for their clubs. A heap of the Sunwolves players are basically kiwis, Aussies, saffas and islanders. It’s not really a Japanese club.

The fact they have foreign players doesn't make them an inferior club. They play a great brand of rugby, and as this season has shown, are capable of getting results.

It's a terrible look for the sport to talk about cutting them on the eve of Japan hosting the RWC. Makes even less sense financially, given how much greater the Japanese market is than the rest of Sanzaar combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The fact they have foreign players doesn't make them an inferior club. They play a great brand of rugby, and as this season has shown, are capable of getting results.

It's a terrible look for the sport to talk about cutting them on the eve of Japan hosting the RWC. Makes even less sense financially, given how much greater the Japanese market is than the rest of Sanzaar combined.

I agree with your first paragraph. The japanese have not bought into the club however. Sanzaar needs to cut a team i dont see any other contenders.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I agree with your first paragraph. The japanese have not bought into the club however. Sanzaar needs to cut a team i dont see any other contenders.

Why do they need to cut a team, I haven't seen an explanation for that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,463 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why do they need to cut a team, I haven't seen an explanation for that.

Cos they feel the conference system fcuks then over, even though they are generally shi!te .... The lions being the main beneficiary of the other teams being crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

ROG has been building up a fairly strong CV in terms of coaching positions with Racing, Crusaders and being involved with the Irish setup under Joe for the summer tour, a stint with the FFR when their shop is still a mess would be a bit of a blemish on it I'd imagine if things go to sh1te as the French have a tendency of doing.

I take the Arnie Vinick view. The FFR is a sinking ship. If he jumps on and they have a good world cup, he'll be given all of the credit for saving the day. If they don't, well he jumped on a sinking ship and it sank. It's not his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

From Murray Kinsella's latest piece:

At the World Rugby Player Welfare and Law Symposium a law change was suggested to decrease the risk of concussions. The following proposal was a popular one and could.be trialled post World Cup. Would also lead to some very tactical kicking battles.
    One of the biggest on-pitch trends in rugby over the past decade has been the increased prevalence of aggressive ‘linespeed’ in defence, with teams filling their defensive line with up to 14 players and rushing forward into tackles – a situation where poor technique is particularly exposed.

Reducing the number of players in the defensive frontline was discussed at the Symposium, leading to the suggestion of a ’50/22′ law for kicking.

This would be a simple tweak whereby a kick from within your own half [your own 50-metre area] that bounces in the field of play before crossing the touchline in the opposition 22 would result in the kicking team getting the throw into the lineout.

An adaptation of the 40/20 kick in rugby league, the hope would be that the threat of these kicks would see defences keep more players in the backfield in order to prevent the kicking team securing an advantageous attacking lineout in the 22.

That, in turn, could produce more space in the defensive frontline and mean fewer tackle events.

https://www.the42.ie/world-rugby-law-trials-player-welfare-4551248-Mar2019/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Clegg wrote: »
    From Murray Kinsella's latest piece:

At the World Rugby Player Welfare and Law Symposium a law change was suggested to decrease the risk of concussions. The following proposal was a popular one and could.be trialled post World Cup. Would also lead to some very tactical kicking battles.

https://www.the42.ie/world-rugby-law-trials-player-welfare-4551248-Mar2019/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

That sounds awful......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement