Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’d love to try it. Hope they trial it here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That sounds awful......

Well in effect it should do the opposite. It will mean teams can’t defend the backfield with one player anymore. Which means there will be space to attack the midfield again. Rather than the current 14 man defences. Conceding a lineout in your own 22 would be to big a risk to not keep three back. This will be the exact opposite to kick tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Has any study been done on the most frequent causes of concussions? My impression has always been that a tackler (not the tackled person) is the more likely victim of concussion - often from a clash with a shoulder, hip or knee while tackling.

While further protecting the tackled player is obviously beneficial, I'm not sure any of these laws are actually addressing the bigger issue. In fact forcing players to tackle lower could exacerbate the issue.

The kicking law sounds interesting. It would certainly change the game of rugby quite dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A 50/22 is a big reward but it's a difficult skill. It's worth trialling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sangre wrote: »
    Has any study been done on the most frequent causes of concussions? My impression has always been that a tackler (not the tackled person) is the more likely victim of concussion - often from a clash with a shoulder, hip or knee while tackling.

72% of concussions caused in the tackle are to the tackler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A 50/22 is a big reward but it's a difficult skill. It's worth trialling.

Not quite sure I understand the idea here.

Are they saying that only a kick from inside your own half that 1st touches the ground inside the opposition 22 and then goes in to touch wins you the throw-in, or would any kick starting in your half and ending up in touch inside the 22 having touched the ground in the 22 qualify?

e.g. Would a ~30m grubber kick qualify?

If it's the former , then yes it's worth a look , if the latter then not so much..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not quite sure I understand the idea here.

Are they saying that only a kick from inside your own half that 1st touches the ground inside the opposition 22 and then goes in to touch wins you the throw-in, or would any kick starting in your half and ending up in touch inside the 22 having touched the ground in the 22 qualify?

e.g. Would a ~30m grubber kick qualify?

If it's the former , then yes it's worth a look , if the latter then not so much..

My reading of it is that it has to be:
    - a kick inside your own half.
    - bounces in the field of play (regardless of inside 22 or not).
    - crosses touchline in opponents 22.

So closer to the latter you're suggesting above, but it doesn't seem to even need to bounce in the 22, just go out over the touchline inside the 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That kicking idea sounds great imo. Well worth a trial.

It creates space, so would reducing to 13 aside. We should speed up scrums somehow too....

The top level of tag rugby in Ireland has a 40/20 rule, taken from league. It's good craic. The problem here is that a winger only really needs to cover it till your inside their 10 and then they can probably go back to 13 in the line safely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Welsh rugby risks losing Gareth Anscombe to an English side due to the frankly stupid way the WRU value players. Since he has less than 60 caps he'd then be ineligible for selection of he moves to a non Welsh club.

The Lions is once every 4 years and players can miss that tour for any number of reasons. Being told you're not as valuable to Wales because you didn't tour with a completely separate entity seems mad to me.
    However, if he stays in Wales, he will not become one of the nation’s top earners because a new player banding system deems him less valuable than some of his Wales team-mates who are British and Irish Lions.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gareth-anscombe-stinging-message-welsh-15999747

• Advertisement

It's vital they retain Anscombe. He delivered this year in the face of calls for Biggar to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Clegg wrote: »
    Welsh rugby risks losing Gareth Anscombe to an English side due to the frankly stupid way the WRU value players. Since he has less than 60 caps he'd then be ineligible for selection of he moves to a non Welsh club.

The Lions is once every 4 years and players can miss that tour for any number of reasons. Being told you're not as valuable to Wales because you didn't tour with a completely separate entity seems mad to me.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gareth-anscombe-stinging-message-welsh-15999747

All that articles says he is less valuable than some of his teammates who are B&I Lions. It doesn't say he is less valuable solely because he is not B&I Lion. The best Welsh players are also likely capped for the lions so its not a surprise they're worth the most. Sounds more like a case of correlation rather than causation.

If you're banding Welsh players by most valuable, I wouldn't have Anscombe in that top category yet. I don't think he is in the same category yet as AWJ, K Owens, JD2, Liam Willians for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I hope it doesn't go beyond a trial, to be honest if it is as people describe above. I don't think it will result in booming touchfinders or accurate spirals finding space behind the back three, if that's what they're looking to reward. It will result in kicks with low trajectories looking to get into the opposition 22. They'll want to ensure that the opposition can't field or gather the ball.

I would imagine outhalves will be working on drilling low kicks and then kicking away a hell of a lot of good attacking ball anywhere between halfway and the opposition 22. It will slow the game down and lead to more stoppages which is hardly what people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Buer wrote: »

I hope it doesn't go beyond a trial, to be honest if it is as people describe above. I don't think it will result in booming touchfinders or accurate spirals finding space behind the back three, if that's what they're looking to reward. It will result in kicks with low trajectories looking to get into the opposition 22. They'll want to ensure that the opposition can't field or gather the ball.

I would imagine outhalves will be working on drilling low kicks and then kicking away a hell of a lot of good attacking ball anywhere between halfway and the opposition 22. It will slow the game down and lead to more stoppages which is hardly what people want.

It has to be kicked before the halfway line (In your own half) not between the halfway and the opposition 22. If you're kicking a 30M plus grubber hoping it trickles over the 22 for a line out, that gives a lot of chance for the opposition back 3 to gather the ball.

Iompair wrote: »
    It has to be kicked before the halfway line (In your own half) not between the halfway and the opposition 22. If you're kicking a 30M plus grubber hoping it trickles over the 22 for a line out, that gives a lot of chance for the opposition back 3 to gather the ball.

Ah, that's much more preferable! Thanks for clarification.

Ah, that's much more preferable! Thanks for clarification.

Wake up Buer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jesus Christ Buer

F*ck sake, Buer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stade Francais confirm that POC will be leaving at end of the season. Confirms also that he won't be joining another club next season.

https://twitter.com/SFParisRugby/status/1110537920744693761

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Eod100 wrote: »
    Stade Francais confirm that POC will be leaving at end of the season. Confirms also that he won't be joining another club next season.

https://twitter.com/SFParisRugby/status/1110537920744693761

Management isn’t for everyone.

• Advertisement

This weekend has close to tipped the scales for me in my enjoyment of Rugby. From Bealham to Leavy and a good few in between, players screaming in agony being stretchered off the pitch is an all too common sight.

Being reported that Bristol have put big money contract offer on table for Anscombe. Ian Madigan could be on his way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Being reported that Bristol have put big money contract offer on table for Anscombe. Ian Madigan could be on his way out.

I don't know why Anscombe is getting so uppity about this. He's a decent player but there's a reason why he wasn't and still isn't the out and out 10 for Wales.

Stratifying players based on Lions caps seems arbitrary but it's just a useful metric for putting the top shelf players in their own band. Anscombe is nowhere near as important to Wales as Alun Wyn Jones, he shouldn't be earning close to the same money.

If he wants to abandon a world cup for a few extra quid, then fine. That's his prerogative. Equally, Bristol are free to overspend.

I'd be interested to see what happens with Madigan, I haven't been watching any of him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

This weekend has close to tipped the scales for me in my enjoyment of Rugby. From Bealham to Leavy and a good few in between, players screaming in agony being stretchered off the pitch is an all too common sight.

You know, I am so pleased to see that post. The game that has questioned my enjoyment of the sport was the England v Ireland game in the 6N. Ever since, I have been questioning myself, not because Ireland lost, but the sheer brutality of that game made me look at myself, well done England, but my god what physical intensity. Was it skill or guile? yer man Billy Vunipola (who has wrecked his body) can't keep playing like that, he will be an invalid. Jamie Heaslip has just ended his career so suddenly (like he was invincible and then it caught up with him).

Those two instances (Bealham and Leavy) made me question myself. It is a brutal game and getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's an April fools joke. Am I being over sensitive in thinking it's made in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's an April fools joke. Am I being over sensitive in thinking it's made in bad taste.

Yeah I wouldn't say it's in bad taste, it's just a really shít attempt at humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    You know, I am so pleased to see that post. The game that has questioned my enjoyment of the sport was the England v Ireland game in the 6N. Ever since, I have been questioning myself, not because Ireland lost, but the sheer brutality of that game made me look at myself, well done England, but my god what physical intensity. Was it skill or guile? yer man Billy Vunipola (who has wrecked his body) can't keep playing like that, he will be an invalid. Jamie Heaslip has just ended his career so suddenly (like he was invincible and then it caught up with him).

Those two instances (Bealham and Leavy) made me question myself. It is a brutal game and getting worse.

The brutality is one of the reasons I love the game. Obviously I don't want to see players killed or crippled but the danger element is part of what makes it a great sport.

The physicality is part of the spectacle but the human body isn't designed to take the repeated punishment that is being handed out in these games. There was a 10 minute spell in the second half of yesterday's match where Racing were just bludgeoning Toulouse up front without either team taking a backwards step. There was little attempt to go wide against 14 men (a shocking indictment of Racing's halfbacks). Racing had just made 4 changes to their front five simultaneously. I would imagine some of those Toulouse players will be barely able to walk today. Both of their locks played 80 minutes.

Guys simply cannot keep playing like that for years without shipping serious injuries or long term issues.

• Advertisement

Leavy was in serious pain, but that doesn't put me off rugby as much as head injuries. I'm not sure I'd like any future kids to pursue professional rugby, but I really hope they're still able to play the game, because I love it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement