Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/franco-smith-to-take-over-as-italy-coach-in-2020/616443

Franco Smith to take over the Italian national side from 1 January 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

hahashake wrote: »
    If he is successful then get a pretty penny coaching in France? Hell, if he's good enough, he could coach almost anywhere.

Or rake it in doing after dinner speaking and media, etc. Kidney is at London Irish despite his tenure ending negatively, Eddie had his chance with Biarritz (basketcase but he shouldn’t have taken the job so that’s on him), Jake White has been everywhere etc.

O’Gara is a long long way off the Ireland job anyway, he’s done well so far but will need to be a successful head coach somewhere and probably at Munster (seems unlikely he would coach another province) before he makes a short list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Speaking of O’Gara, good long interview with him and Scott Robertson here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMmOOzn9R-k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/franco-smith-to-take-over-as-italy-coach-in-2020/616443

No word on Conor, done an exceptional job in the behind the scenes work but just hasn't got the wins on the field.

If Italy had any sense they would move him up as a Director of Rugby/over sight role

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If Italy had any sense they would move him up as a Director of Rugby/over sight role

I thought he had such a role? I know he went in as head coach but I thought he had a role in developing the game over there from a low level up?

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    I thought he had such a role? I know he went in as head coach but I thought he had a role in developing the game over there from a low level up?

Yes and no.....

He went in as head coach but in reality he is suited to a more director of rugby role. If the head coach is getting sacked then as it stands O'Shea is out of a job. I never seen an official announcement to say they had moved him up to a Director of rugby role

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Speaking of O’Gara, good long interview with him and Scott Robertson here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMmOOzn9R-k

Posted it in the Super Rugby thread, a great watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

An Irish coach the peak is managing Ireland , do that from 50-55 and then what you do at 56?

You sit back, count your money, play golf, go to the races, occasionally help the missus to mind the grandkids that your 5 (or is it 6?) children have produced and when you feel like a few bob you get the occasional well paid gig as a rugby analyst on various TV stations.

Sheer bliss!

Squatter wrote: »
    You sit back, count your money, play golf, go to the races, occasionally help the missus to mind the grandkids that your 5 (or is it 6?) children have produced and when you feel like a few bob you get the occasional well paid gig as a rugby analyst on various TV stations.

Sheer bliss!

For about a week....then you would be bored off your trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Had been about to post that when saw it while back...
    Some drop for Bernard....
    Had been member of Bective years ago with some family still members(i think...) but have to laugh at Bective ever since going junior have talked about going back senior with multiple head coaches stating that as their aim but theyve never really been close and were in the relegation playoff to go down to 1B this season.
    They'll never go near going up until they change their whole approach around underage and the social rugby teams within the club

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Yeah....have to laugh at them...

The irony of you of all people making that post.

Fair play to them. Hopefully it works out for Bernard. Good to have that level of experience helping out the club game.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Good to see him back in the Irish game, hopefully he gets a chance long term again with one of the provinces

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

DonVito wrote: »

Fair play to them. Hopefully it works out for Bernard. Good to have that level of experience helping out the club game.

yep best of luck to him , i thought he would stick to the tv work , which he seems more natural to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

For about a week....then you would be bored off your trolley

Try it and see! I've been doing it for a decade and it's still wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

DonVito wrote: »

Get over yourself. Irony of me what?
    Bective wont ever improve unless they totally change their approach at everything and just getting a big name in as head coach/director of coaching wont do anything especially get them going back to the AIL which is their stated aim on their website and has been since they dropped to junior rugby.
    They wont attract players from the schools SCT teams unless they improve and they dont really do much with underage teams at all.
    They regularly are a club slagged here in the junior rugby/metro threads for fielding questionable teams in cups with guys who havent played much in the leagues earlier in the season.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Christ the rugby forum here has gone down the tubes majorly in the last 6 months.

Maybe directly proportional to the drop-off in Irish rugby's achievements from last year's pinnacle...

There are 2/3 incessant posters here who are responsible for putting off a lot of the casual posters imo.
    Shame. Used to be (at times) a fun place to visit and occasionally contribute to.

The ignore function is useful but it doesn't guarantee immunity from the slop and vitriol sadly.

I find myself reading less and less of the threads here, or deliberately avoiding them if I see certain usernames listed as last poster.

Is what it is I guess. :(

sydthebeat wrote: »

Seems like someone shot their load on this

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/italy-deny-replacing-conor-o%27shea-with-franco-smith/616463

The Italian Rugby Federation has released a statement refuting one released by the Cheetahs on Tuesday announcing that Cheetahs' head coach Franco Smith will take up the Italy head coach role as of next year.

So ROG on Off the ball

La Rochelle is head coach. Next position is going to be head coach according to him.

Few offers from France. Also has offer from NZ...

He mentioned Ireland but is not going home yet, wants more experience and then head home.....never mentioned who in Ireland which was missed in my opinion, just said offers from Ireland....not that it was Munster, so would a job with IRFU been offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

So ROG on Off the ball

La Rochelle is head coach. Next position is going to be head coach according to him.

Few offers from France. Also has offer from NZ...

He mentioned Ireland but is not going home yet, wants more experience and then head home.....never mentioned who in Ireland which was missed in my opinion, just said offers from Ireland....not that it was Munster, so would a job with IRFU been offered?

He seems to have his pick of where he wants to go in France.. when he was naming out good sides in France it sounded like he was alluding to they were the ones that had offered him coaching roles (La Rochelle, Clermont, Toulouse, Bordeaux!)

As someone said there is no rush for him to come back. He has plenty of time. Id say he’s eyeing up a job on the Irish coaching team for the 2023 WC cycle. Sure once he coaches Munster and then Ireland what’s left for him? That’ll be his coaching peak. And he doesn’t seem like the person that would be happy retiring early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He seems to have his pick of where he wants to go in France.. when he was naming out good sides in France it sounded like he was alluding to they were the ones that had offered him coaching roles (La Rochelle, Clermont, Toulouse, Bordeaux!)

As someone said there is no rush for him to come back. He has plenty of time. Id say he’s eyeing up a job on the Irish coaching team for the 2023 WC cycle. Sure once he coaches Munster and then Ireland what’s left for him? That’ll be his coaching peak. And he doesn’t seem like the person that would be happy retiring early.

He's held in high regards in France after his time with Racing. The national team were reportedly looking to get him onboard as a consultant for the RWC apparently.

He's held in high regards in France after his time with Racing. The national team were reportedly looking to get him onboard as a consultant for the RWC apparently.

He mentioned that and both sides decided not to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

kuang1 wrote: »
    Christ the rugby forum here has gone down the tubes majorly in the last 6 months.

Maybe directly proportional to the drop-off in Irish rugby's achievements from last year's pinnacle...

There are 2/3 incessant posters here who are responsible for putting off a lot of the casual posters imo.
    Shame. Used to be (at times) a fun place to visit and occasionally contribute to.

The ignore function is useful but it doesn't guarantee immunity from the slop and vitriol sadly.

I find myself reading less and less of the threads here, or deliberately avoiding them if I see certain usernames listed as last poster.

Is what it is I guess. :(

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wish rugby would cop itself on and stop selling their licences for rubbish video games. The Bigben games have been a disgrace.

Either do Rugby 08 v2 or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wish rugby would cop itself on and stop selling their licences for rubbish video games. The Bigben games have been a disgrace.

Either do Rugby 08 v2 or nothing.

The annoying thing is that 08 was incrementally better than 06, and it looked they were on a road to consistent improvement. If they'd kept it up we'd have a damn good game, I would buy every single year, and they'd probably only need to tweak it every now and then with an overhaul every 5 or 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Israel Folau has been sacked by Rugby Australia this morning

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Israel Folau has been sacked by Rugby Australia this morning

Proper order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He'll just have to forgive them (for they know not what they do!).

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    He'll just have to forgive them (for they know not what they do!).

Didn't know you were a Bryan Adams fan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement