Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    I brought up Baker as an example that when highly public people say stupid stuff, they get the sack when their job relies on a positive image.

What Baker did wasn't as bad as Folau, not by a stretch. I brought him up to show that he was sacked and if Folau (who was worse) isn't sacked, it'll be because what he said is somehow more protected than what somebody else said just because it's a religious conviction. Which is quite terrifying. I don't like the idea of a skinhead getting sacked for something horrible but a Christian saying exactly the same thing gets away with it because we don't want to step on anyone's toes.

There is no skinhead in this scenario, I think I'm doing a bad job of getting my point across.

You're also in different jurisdictions.

I know that but Australia and the UK have very similar legal systems. The last legal constitutional tie was only severed in 1986

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I brought up Baker as an example that when highly public people say stupid stuff, they get the sack when their job relies on a positive image.

They both posted / said something offensive, have both gotten sacked, and that's as far as the similarities go. Their reactions afterwards were completely contrasting. My only point is that that should be taken into account. Intent matters.

It's why, when Aki apologised for liking Folau's post and said it was an accident, he didn't get anywhere near as pilloried as Billy Vunipola.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

aloooof wrote: »
    I guess the flip side of this is that their Qantas sponsorship (and possibly others) were in jeopardy if they didn't sack Folau?

Yeah it's likely there would've been sponsorship blow-back if he hadn't been sacked, and I'd imagine that's why the significant payoff of 1 million was offered to try and avoid the lawsuit.

It'll be a disappointment if it does go to the high court. Will likely have a significant knock-on to the super rugby squads in terms of funding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Anyone notice the exodus of boks post rwc? Devastating for Rassie. The pay in Europe is destroying Bok rugby.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Anyone notice the exodus of boks post rwc? Devastating for Rassie. The pay in Europe is destroying Bok rugby.

The South African economy is destroying Bok rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I think this is what they were looking for, no? They've decided to fund a core group of players in SA, the rest are free to go to Europe/Japan, and the SARFU intend to enforce the World Rugby rules around international windows etc.

It's the next step towards the inevitable Rugby Premier League model in England/France, where the best SA > Aust > NZ players will play mostly in UK, France and Japan.

The only way I could see around this is from a cash injection into the SH from the proposed world league, I suspect the Celtic Nations don't want in. But no-one outside of the celtic countries will watch the Pro 14, all the TV money will go into the UK and French markets. Wouldn't even surprise me if the Heineken is eventually scrapped with an annual Anglo-French tournament in it's place.

Be careful what you wish for, I don't see how SA, Australia and NZ turning into development leagues for 18, 19, 20 year olds, who the head off to England, France and Japan is good for international rugby. If the Celtic Nations had sense, they would try to protect the SH a bit IMO. I certainly don't see the Celtic Nations coming out top in a financial battle with the UK and France.

swiwi_ wrote: »

I think this is what they were looking for, no? They've decided to fund a core group of players in SA, the rest are free to go to Europe/Japan, and the SARFU intend to enforce the World Rugby rules around international windows etc.

It's the next step towards the inevitable Rugby Premier League model in England/France, where the best SA > Aust > NZ players will play mostly in UK, France and Japan.

The only way I could see around this is from a cash injection into the SH from the proposed world league, I suspect the Celtic Nations don't want in. But no-one outside of the celtic countries will watch the Pro 14, all the TV money will go into the UK and French markets. Wouldn't even surprise me if the Heineken is eventually scrapped with an annual Anglo-French tournament in it's place.

Be careful what you wish for, I don't see how SA, Australia and NZ turning into development leagues for 18, 19, 20 year olds, who the head off to England, France and Japan is good for international rugby. If the Celtic Nations had sense, they would try to protect the SH a bit IMO. I certainly don't see the Celtic Nations coming out top in a financial battle with the UK and France.

Ireland is the only union which is financially stable as it is.

The southern hemisphere asking for a dig out when the likes of Wales and Scotland are bleeding players is just ridiculous. Wales have just had to completely reform their entire salary structure and there will inevitably be at least one team scrapped. Players still don't have contracts for next season.

Meanwhile it seems like every year that Scotland lose a marquee player overseas. This year it's Hogg, last year it was Russell and in the years before it included players like Richie Gray, Barclay and Laidlaw.

The north is not in a position to bail out the South. If people in the south don't give a **** enough to attend super rugby games then ultimately, that's the problem.

Though we can agree that the English and French are ****ing this up.

Since rugby turned professional in 1995, 37 NZ Super Rugby players have left NZ to join an Irish province. It doesn't include players who ended up in Ireland after heading elsewhere first (eg Jimmy Gopperth) nor those who never played Super Rugby (eg Rodney Ah You).

Ulster
    JV
    MS
    MM
    IB
    JA
    JP

Leinster
    BW
    DH
    BW
    IN
    CN
    MB
    NW
    MB
    JGP
    JL

Munster
    CC
    DH
    JP
    RT
    NW
    TM
    PB
    ST
    QM
    TB
    FS
    RM
    TAT

Connacht
    NT
    BU
    GN
    FV
    CC
    BA
    TM
    PA

It'd be a good effort to get your own province, let alone the whole list. There a few of these players I have either forgotten or never heard of. There are also players who subsequently moved to another Irish province.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Love this. I've made a decent start with Munster:
    *Munster*
    CC- Christian Cullen
    DH - Doug Howlett
    JP
    RT - Rua Tipoki
    NW - Nick Williams
    TM
    PB
    ST
    QM
    TB - Tyler Bleyendaal
    FS - Francis Saili
    RM
    TAT
    PA

The southern hemisphere asking for a dig out when the likes of Wales and Scotland are bleeding players is just ridiculous. Wales have just had to completely reform their entire salary structure and there will inevitably be at least one team scrapped. Players still don't have contracts for next season.

Meanwhile it seems like every year that Scotland lose a marquee player overseas. This year it's Hogg, last year it was Russell and in the years before it included players like Richie Gray, Barclay and Laidlaw.

The north is not in a position to bail out the South. If people in the south don't give a **** enough to attend super rugby games then ultimately, that's the problem.

No-one in the the SH is asking for a handout. I think on the other hand the SH would be happy if the Celtic Unions got on board the World League idea. Ireland could end up in the Pro 14 much like the NZ Super Rugby sides in Super Rugby - only meaningful games are between each other. This season, there were 3 irish teams in the Pro 14 semi-finals for example. At the end of the day, UK and France have their captive home audiences. It'd be fair to say there are probably a growing number of SA ex-pats following the UK premiership. If Beauden Barrett, Ben Smith, Brodie Retallick, Richie Mo'Unga etc all played in the premiership, I'd quite possibly start watching it, especially if they were eligible for AB selection.

I fully expect the Celtic Unions to do an ostrich on this, but if International Rugby fades (at least outside of the 6N and the RWC), no-one watches the Pro 14 outside of the participating nations and the Heineken Cup is replaced by a Anglo-French cup, I doubt the forum would be overjoyed. TBH outside of international rugby, I basically only watch the Crusaders these days, a fair number of Leinster games, and a smattering elsewhere, although I watch highlights of the other NZ super rugby sides. The days of amazing games involving SA or Australian sides are pretty much gone.

• Advertisement

No-one in the the SH is asking for a handout. I think on the other hand the SH would be happy if the Celtic Unions got on board the World League idea. Ireland could end up in the Pro 14 much like the NZ Super Rugby sides in Super Rugby - only meaningful games are between each other. This season, there were 3 irish teams in the Pro 14 semi-finals for example. At the end of the day, UK and France have their captive home audiences. It'd be fair to say there are probably a growing number of SA ex-pats following the UK premiership. If Beauden Barrett, Ben Smith, Brodie Retallick, Richie Mo'Unga etc all played in the premiership, I'd quite possibly start watching it, especially if they were eligible for AB selection.

I fully expect the Celtic Unions to do an ostrich on this, but if International Rugby fades (at least outside of the 6N and the RWC), no-one watches the Pro 14 outside of the participating nations and the Heineken Cup is replaced by a Anglo-French cup, I doubt the forum would be overjoyed. TBH outside of international rugby, I basically only watch the Crusaders these days, a fair number of Leinster games, and a smattering elsewhere, although I watch highlights of the other NZ super rugby sides. The days of amazing games involving SA or Australian sides are pretty much gone.

The world league is a handout. It's indirect and packaged but it is a handout.

It's the south asking the north to pool their much more valuable TV markets and throw the Six Nations under the bus. Asking Scotland to risk relegation whilst claiming the same risk would apply to a Rugby Championship with the US and Japan in it is so disingenuous.

The south only gains by a world league with nothing in return.

The Pro 14 does have problems but these aren't going to be fixed by having an international world league.

Asking the Celtic countries to pay for a problem which isn't of their making and is also hurting them is madness. The English and the French are the ones ****ing this up with rampant wage inflation. The world league doesn't even fix this. It just gives the south a little bit more money to try and keep players. But England and France will grow quicker and we'll probably be back to square one again only we've ruined the Six Nations in the process.

*Munster*
    CC- Christian Cullen
    DH - Doug Howlett
    JP
    RT - Rua Tipoki
    NW - Nick Williams
    TM
    PB
    ST
    QM
    TB - Tyler Bleyendaal
    FS - Francis Saili
    RM
    TAT
    PA

Choosing the hard ones first I see :p. All the names are in chronological order if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster
    BW - ?????
    DH - David Holwell
    BW - Bryce Williams
    IN - Isa Nacewa
    CN - Clint Newland
    MB - Mat Berquist
    NW - Nathan White
    MB - Michael Bent
    JGP - Jamieson Gibson Park
    JL - James Lowe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote:
    Leinster BW DH BW IN CN MB NW MB JGP JL

Bryce Williams
    David Holwell
    Isa Nacewa
    Clint Newland
    Matt Berquist
    Nathan White
    Michael Bent
    Jamison Gibson Park
    James Lowe

I had to look up the other BW so I won't post the name.

@Burkie @Buer.

Very good. If it’s any consolation the other BW I had never heard of.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think your missing one at Leinster.....

*Munster*
    CC- Christian Cullen
    DH - Doug Howlett
    JP
    RT - Rua Tipoki
    NW - Nick Williams
    TM Toby Morland
    PB Peter Borlase
    ST Sam Tuitupou
    QM Quentin MacDonald
    TB - Tyler Bleyendaal
    FS - Francis Saili
    RM Rhys Marshall
    TAT
    PA

A few more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Munster new kit launched 22/5 at Lifestyle Sports - is that not really really early?

Leinster normally don't release images until July?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think your missing one at Leinster.....

I had to check up on a few like Jowitt, Gissing etc. to make sure they hadn't made an appearance in Super Rugby. Keep in mind the rule of them playing for someone outside of NZ before coming to Ireland.

Thorn came from Japan if you're thinking of him.

Te Aihe Toma

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I had to check up on a few like Jowitt, Gissing etc. to make sure they hadn't made an appearance in Super Rugby. Keep in mind the rule of them playing for someone outside of NZ before coming to Ireland.

Thorn came from Japan if you're thinking of him.

Nope, the player I have in mind moved from the blues to leinster (according to newspaper reports at the time)

A few more.

Sam Tuitupou is incorrect...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Should JdV not be in that list?

Should JdV not be in that list?

Hmmm. Geography 101 for you Pickarooney...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Sam Tuitupou is incorrect...

Savenaca Tokula, played centre for Munster in 2012 on loan for a few months at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

*Munster*
    CC- Christian Cullen
    DH - Doug Howlett
    JP
    RT - Rua Tipoki
    NW - Nick Williams
    TM
    PB
    ST
    QM
    TB - Tyler Bleyendaal
    FS - Francis Saili
    RM
    TAT
    PA

JP is Jake Paringatai, played backrow for Munster in 07/08, made 2 appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Since rugby turned professional in 1995, 37 NZ Super Rugby players have left NZ to join an Irish province. It doesn't include players who ended up in Ireland after heading elsewhere first (eg Jimmy Gopperth) nor those who never played Super Rugby (eg Rodney Ah You)

Connacht
    NT
    BU
    GN
    FV
    CC
    BA
    TM
    PA

It'd be a good effort to get your own province, let alone the whole list. There a few of these players I have either forgotten or never heard of. There are also players who subsequently moved to another Irish province.

Niva Tauoso
    ?
    ?
    Fetu Vianokolo
    Craig Clarke
    Bundee Aki
    Tom McCarthy
    Pita Ahki
    Can't figure out the other 2 without Google cheating

GN has to be George neopu?

I see George Smith has finally retired. No doubt even Jacothelad played a few games with George, he seems to have been around for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bryce Williams
    David Holwell
    Isa Nacewa
    Clint Newland
    Matt Berquist
    Nathan White
    Michael Bent
    Jamison Gibson Park
    James Lowe

I had to look up the other BW so I won't post the name.

Arguably Leinster's greatest ever import.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement