Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wonder will this be for rugby players and if it will have any impact on players moving to Italy to play? https://twitter.com/malvestefano/status/1144339228903563264?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Parisse finishing up with Stade. Mutual consent apparently, I wonder will he wrap up after the WC or play out a year or two back with treviso.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I've lost a lot of time for Parisse. He's mouthy more often than not at this stage, petulant child like. I get that he's been the best player by a million miles in the Italy setup, but it's like it's gone to his head. I won't miss him at this point, though doubtless Italy will.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I've lost a lot of time for Parisse. He's mouthy more often than not at this stage, petulant child like. I get that he's been the best player by a million miles in the Italy setup, but it's like it's gone to his head. I won't miss him at this point, though doubtless Italy will.

He has been a bit of a twat for several years now on the field. He'd eat himself if he was made of chocolate.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    He has been a bit of a twat for several years now on the field. He'd eat himself if he was made of chocolate.

Wouldn’t we all Buer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I mean, that’s a mad thing to have a problem with anyway. I’d eat anything if it was actually made of chocolate

Maybe not in one sitting mind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

One of the law changes WR have proposed is that a held up try results in a 22 drop out not a scrum five. Does anyone agree with that rule? I think we already have a problem where lots of maul / pick and go tries that were probably scored don't get awarded because there is no evidence. It's annoying when it happens to your team, but not too bad because you get the scrum. Now you'll have the try disallowed and lose 45m of territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭deezell

It's a mixture of trying to reward defensive effort, and possibly discouraging that type of attack where you know you'll get another go as it were. A 22 drop out is excessive though, maybe reverse the scrum, or give a free kick behind the line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

that doesn't make any sense to me.

if you held up a player anywhere else on the field it'd be a penalty for not releasing in the tackle, so you do need to reward the attacking team for getting over the line and into a position to ground the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stupid rule. I mean if they're end goal is to have less tries scored and reduce the number of attacking scrums then fair enough, but it's going to have a big impact on the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭deezell

CatFromHue wrote: »
    that doesn't make any sense to me.

if you held up a player anywhere else on the field it'd be a penalty for not releasing in the tackle, so you do need to reward the attacking team for getting over the line and into a position to ground the ball.
    Conversely if you've succeeded in getting around and under the ball held by the grounded attacking player, and he doesn't release, it's a turnover and a full penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Getting this in before midnight.

It's the 18th anniversary of the 1st Test of the 2001 Lions tour when BoD scored his GoAT try.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Parisse has signed a one year deal at Toulon.

Parisse has signed a one year deal at Toulon.

Good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good fit.

Right at home with fellow backrow pensioners Gorgodze (turns 35 this month) and Messam (turned 35 in March).

It's a pity Benetton or Zebre couldn't pick him up. Whether he would be much use on the field over the course of the season, off the field it would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is he even still good?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Right at home with fellow backrow pensioners Gorgodze (turns 35 this month) and Messam (turned 35 in March).

It's a pity Benetton or Zebre couldn't pick him up. Whether he would be much use on the field over the course of the season, off the field it would have been great.

I'd almost argue they'd both be better off without him, players won't go looking for him like Italy tended to do at times.

Boudjellal said in the Parisse signing press conference: "He will play for us after the RWC, and since Italy is in the same pool as NZ and SA, he will arrive back at the same time as the French players."

Boudjellal said in the Parisse signing press conference: "He will play for us after the RWC, and since Italy is in the same pool as NZ and SA, he will arrive back at the same time as the French players."

Jesus ouch.

Well into the mean spirited column though - Parisse may not appreciate a remark like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jesus ouch.

Well into the mean spirited column though - Parisse may not appreciate a remark like that.

Sounds like more of a dig at the French than the Italians. Italy are never getting out of their pool. I don't fancy France will either to be honest but they certainly have a much better chance than Italy.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Sounds like more of a dig at the French than the Italians. Italy are never getting out of their pool. I don't fancy France will either to be honest but they certainly have a much better chance than Italy.

It's completely a dig at the French - I just think the collateral damage of treating Italy like an afterthought and completely dismissing them is a bit unwarranted from the guy, especially as he just signed one of their most decorated players. Italy were solid enough at home this six nations and have recently beaten South Africa so whilst very unlikely it's not a foregone. Parisse may not care at all - but it's a bit insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That’s a dig at France....some people won’t be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Exactly a year after getting into an altercation with his other half which led to a court appearance and his Connacht contract being torn up, Sevu Reece is in the NZ squad. Interesting how things happen in different countries.

Exactly a year after getting into an altercation with his other half which led to a court appearance and his Connacht contract being torn up, Sevu Reece is in the NZ squad. Interesting how things happen in different countries.

He's had one of the best breakout seasons in Super Rugby history. If the Crusaders win this weekend, he'll have a Super Rugby winners medal as a starter on the team, and potentially an ABs cap during the championship.

Connacht were 100% correct to cancel his contract given the political climate at the time with the IRFU and the provinces being under a lot of heat from social media etc, but on the other hand, fair play to him for turning around a situation where he had his contract cancelled and was looking at potentially missing out on a professional contract for the season. Self-inflicted, but still some determination.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That’s a dig at France....some people won’t be happy

He hates the FFR with a passion, it'll be no skin off his back to piss people off. The backhanded dig at Italy was merely a side effect of his blatant dig at the French national team, but I'm sure Parisse was thinking "what the fúck" as soon as he said it.

He's had one of the best breakout seasons in Super Rugby history. If the Crusaders win this weekend, he'll have a Super Rugby winners medal as a starter on the team, and potentially an ABs cap during the championship.

Connacht were 100% correct to cancel his contract given the political climate at the time with the IRFU and the provinces being under a lot of heat from social media etc, but on the other hand, fair play to him for turning around a situation where he had his contract cancelled and was looking at potentially missing out on a professional contract for the season. Self-inflicted, but still some determination.

I would say that he has turned things around and that's a fair point. I would very much question the judgement of calling him up to the NZ squad though. In a very roundabout way, the best thing that ever happened to his career was the incident with his girlfriend. I'm aware that's an extremely disingenuous way to put it but it's not wholly inaccurate.

It sends a very odd message to a society that is taking measures to try and curtail domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

NZ Rugby has history with this. Tuitupo, Savea, Moala and others all got selected for the ABs despite assault/DV convictions. I think the policy is that everyone can make a mistake and they deserve a second chance.

I hope he has conquered his demons and can have a good career and happy, healthy relationship. If he does it again, I would hope they can his ass.

I would say that he has turned things around and that's a fair point. I would very much question the judgement of calling him up to the NZ squad though. In a very roundabout way, the best thing that ever happened to his career was the incident with his girlfriend. I'm aware that's an extremely disingenuous way to put it but it's not wholly inaccurate.

It sends a very odd message to a society that is taking measures to try and curtail domestic violence.

From the outside, things seem to be a bit more laid back in NZ in terms of giving second chances. Whether this is a reflection of society as a whole, or just the fact the majority of the population are invested in rugby compared to the likes of Ireland/England where a large part of the population has a negative perception of people who play rugby and the culture associated, I'm not sure.

I do agree that looking at it, it seems the whole thing has been swept under the rug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I watched an interview with him where (in the nicest possible way) he seemed fairly immature and naive in that harmless type way. Like many of the other PIs who come over in their early teenage years after being poached by a project player system secretly designed to exploit economic differences moving for a better education, he is a little juvenile.

He then seemed to struggle pretty hard with drink for a while. I hate domestic violence, but he is still with his partner. She probably does want him to have this success. But that doesn't help other victims of domestic violence in NZ who have to look at him and be like "why would I report my abuser, in a year he could be an All Black".

In summary, I am uncomfortable with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement