Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just out of curiousity, what are you basing this on. If an improved Scotland lost by more than a score to a completely out of form Ireland (In Scotland) just a few months ago, what makes you think they can trouble Ireland on a neutral venue.

They had a weakened side out that day. And lost Stuart Hogg early in a purely accidental collision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Jeesh! It’s just a few stats for info I did before Wales game.
    I suppose I just threw it up to show im deadly!
    What I gleaned from it was that Ireland will loose when they concede an early try against decent tier1 teams.
    I had discounted Scotland because they were not a “decent tier1 team”. But have improved enough to now pose a serious threat to a misfiring Ireland.
    Re: Japan. If Scotland turn us over, the pressure mounts and it could go tits up if Japan get an early try.

Ah no, your stats are interesting (and worrying), I just think they'd be even more meaningful if they had included Scotland, and other Tier 2 Nations, since that is ultimately what we're discussing. (But I understand why they weren't included).

aloooof wrote: »
    Ah no, your stats are interesting (and worrying), I just think they'd be even more meaningful if they had included Scotland, and other Tier 2 Nations, since that is ultimately what we're discussing. (But I understand why they weren't included).

Cheers. I also thought they were interesting!
    I’m sure any tier 2 side we ever conceded an early try against we went on to whup. But this time...it all depends on Scotland game.
    14 - Ireland won 28 v 6
    15 - Ireland won 10 v 40 POC with early try and Heaslip championship winning tackle on Hogg
    16 - Ireland winning 9-3 and Hogg scored 1st try. Ireland won 35v25
    17 - Hogg ran in 2 early tries against an Irish team “literally” just off the bus.
    18 - Stockdale poach. Huw Jones v BobK and the Championship.
    19 - Hogg stumbled over some feet and Conor Murray gathered a lovely Seymour pass to stroll over for 1st try.
    2019 RWC - Do, or do not, kick the ball to Hogg?
    I think that’s what Yoda Meant in A New Hope “Do. Or do not. There is no try”

https://youtu.be/FBDM4KxG0_w
    Worth a look from 30 min- Marshall and Wilson do a bit of analysis of Bok defense and NZ patterns
    Interview with Japan Assistant coach Tony Brown
    And check out the conditions in the Samoa Tonga game. Damp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

List of summer internationals and TV coverage. You have to add in RTE for Ireland's home games.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/rugby-union/98171/2019-rugby-union-fixtures-rugby-world-cup-six-nations-bledisloe-cup-internationals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yorkshire Carnegie causing a bit of a stir in Twitter, club went into a CVA last month, players aren't being paid their full wages and being chased for medical expenses directly from companies, but they've signed George Ford's brother, and current players aren't happy.

https://twitter.com/danieltemm3/status/1157377902079565824?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The great Sir Brian Lochore died at the weekend aged 78. All Blacks captain in the 60s and coach of the 87 RWC winning side. Was manager of the 95 RWC team and was a selector for a few years after that.

Widely regarded as one of the greats of the game and true gentleman. He is credited with pushing the philosophy of better people make better players.

Not a classic. A good few mistakes. But still worth a watch. I even found Johnson bearable. And at one point insightful - "We have really not got a set attacking structure. We're going out playing, we're going out and passing the ball to each other and running about".

That English pack were truly tough. Physically and mentally. Wilkinson wasn't too shabby either.
    No box kicks. Not one single kick from Gregan or Dawson in 100 minutes of rugby.
    Apart from Johnson, England only allowed Mat Dawson talk to the ref. Ireland take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not a classic. A good few mistakes. But still worth a watch. I even found Johnson bearable. And at one point insightful - "We have really not got a set attacking structure. We're going out playing, we're going out and passing the ball to each other and running about".

That English pack were truly tough. Physically and mentally. Wilkinson wasn't too shabby either.
    No box kicks. Not one single kick from Gregan or Dawson in 100 minutes of rugby.
    Apart from Johnson, England only allowed Mat Dawson talk to the ref. Ireland take note.

Neil Back was on Off the ball the other day and said the lack of kicking was a huge mistake by Australia. If they had replicated what they done for the first try they would have had huge success....he said he always wondered why they didn't

Box kicks galore in this one. 2! - 91 kicks from hand in total, and in the 2 semi-finals, 86 and 85. AVG. KICKS PER KO MATCH – 2015: 49, 2011: 53, 2007: 72, 2003: 54. 2019? Expecting high 50's - With the grubber kick been used more than previous RWC's.

its an even worse match but a better watch. John Smit does a brilliant narration. The SA pack is probably an even tougher, nastier and more talented bunch than the 2003 English pack.
    Again from an Irish perspective this should be must see tv at Carton House. A masterclass in captaincy and game management at the highest level.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great win for waikato over canturbury this morning

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jack Goodhue has the most magnificent mullet. Tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Is RugbyPass down for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Kevski wrote: »

Working for me. But it took restarting the app a few times.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hodge looks very slow for a winger.

Working for me. But it took restarting the app a few times.

Cheers, got it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Been working perfectly for me, in browser rather than the phone app.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry if wrong place to ask but can't find it with a search or online, does anyone know when the ERC release the set fixtures for pool games? tia.

pc7 wrote: »
    Sorry if wrong place to ask but can't find it with a search or online, does anyone know when the ERC release the set fixtures for pool games? tia.

They’ve just announced that they’ll be announcing the date when they’ll be announcing the fixtures shortly.

https://twitter.com/championscup/status/1161257360297537536?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

They’ve just announced that they’ll be announcing the date when they’ll be announcing the fixtures shortly.

Woah that came out of nowhere, I wish that they announced that they would be announcing that they’ll be announcing the date when they’ll be announcing the fixtures so that I could have prepared for the announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This Friday looks a bit soon then. Thought they might be out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sad news about the passing of Steve Booth. I remember him playing on the wing for Leicester in the early noughties when the Tigers were a force.

Only 42...no age at all.

Pretty solid Rugby Saturday this weekend.

08:35
    New Zealand v Australia

14:15
    Wales v England

16:05
    South Africa v Argentina

17:25
    Italy v Russia

20:00
    France v Scotland

The first two games are going to be grudge matches after last week so should be belters though I think Australia are in for a torrid time.

Be interesting to see Italy in a game they should dominate and against one of our pool rivals.

France are usually at their best just after they get new coaches which they've done. Obviously keen to see where Scotland are at also from an Irish perspective.

Can Wales go to number 1 again this week if they win and NZ lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can Wales go to number 1 again this week if they win and NZ lose?

If nz lose they'll go to fourth but drop behind whoever loses between Wales and England. If England beat Wales by less than 15 and NZ lose I think we'll go first.

errlloyd wrote: »
    If nz lose they'll go to fourth but drop behind whoever loses between Wales and England. If England beat Wales by less than 15 and NZ lose I think we'll go first.

Just read a rather long and convoluted article on the all the possible rankings depending on results and margins. If the ABs lose they drop to 4th, if they get hammered they drop to 6th :eek: Either way it would be the lowest that they have ever been since rankings began. If they win and Wales win, Wales go top. Regardless of the AB result, if Wales and England draw, Ireland goes to number 1.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Just read a rather long and convoluted article on the all the possible rankings depending on results and margins. If the ABs lose they drop to 4th, if they get hammered they drop to 6th :eek: Either way it would be the lowest that they have ever been since rankings began. If they win and Wales win, Wales go top. Regardless of the AB result, if Wales and England draw, Ireland goes to number 1.

Sounds interesting, have you a link to teh article

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Conan o Donnell grabbed his second try of the mitre 10 this morning. That's 2 in 2 for the prop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Conan o Donnell grabbed his second try of the mitre 10 this morning. That's 2 in 2 for the prop

In other news, sydthebeat has filed a copyright infringement on the usernames "swiwi" and "yeah_right".

Legal arguments essentially boil down to the fact that STB is now widely viewed as the preeminent expert on all things NZ rugby.

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement