Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'm saying that we should have both.
    I dont see a world cup plate/shield happening as the countries competing wouldnt have an interest and should rugby go that way of having one?
    Few senior tournaments in rugby play with shield tournament like this. It happens in some sports but cant see it happening in rugby
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I agree. They would get to play knock out rugby at a world cup. Probably in great stadiums with loads of fans. Think about the last the RWC; there would have been England, Japan, Italy, Georgia, the Pacific Island teams and .... USA? There could have been some cracking games there and I think they would have been very popular for neutral fans.

I think everyone agrees that more needs to be done for the Tier 2 nations outside of RWCs but why not something like this as well.
    Because tier 2's wouldnt want it and how long would it be before some from tier 1 countries just tried to close off the tier 2 sides from even competing and qualifying for tier 1 competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

No :(

RIP Chester Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Just going to say one thing on this.
    They don't play each other often. Many, like Uruguay, play teams far far worse than themselves and the WC is the only time they play similar/better teams.
    A Plate would really help American, Asian, and African teams, to be honest, as they would be able to play tier 2 European and Oceania teams with the odd tier 1 victim. More high intensity and actually competitive games.

An option that I think would be great would to be sending club teams to play them in preseason.
    Munster Vs Namibia or Uruguay say as an example. Good training camp out of country and a game.

November 2018

Ulster see off Uruguay 21-5 in Belfast friendly

Tour match: Ulster v UruguayUlster (14) 21Tries: McBurney 2, Marcus Rea Cons: McPhillips 3Uruguay (0) 5Try: Mieres
    A youthful Ulster side scored three tries in seeing off Uruguay 21-5 in Friday's friendly at Kingspan Stadium.
    Home captain Adam McBurney touched down twice within a four-minute period during the first quarter and flanker Marcus Rea scored in the second half.
    All Ulster's tries were set up by rolling mauls from lineouts and Johnny McPhillips converted on each occasion.
    Uruguay winger Gaston Mieres dived over in the corner for a 71st-minute consolation try for the tourists.
    The south American side, who have qualified for next year's World Cup and are ranked 18th in the IRB rankings, went into the game on the back of a 45-21 defeat by Cardiff Blues on Tuesday.
    The match was in some doubt prior to kick-off as hours of heavy rain in Belfast made underfoot conditions very soggy but the referee deemed the pitch playable after a 17:45 GMT inspection, despite parts of the playing surface appearing saturated.
    Hooker McBurney rumbled over in the 13th minute and repeated the feat soon after to put his side in control at 14-0 at the interval.
    Uruguay threatened the Ulster line on several occasions but were unable to breach the Irish province's defences.
    Rea barged over 14 minutes into the second half and then Mieres scored the visitors' only points.
    Academy coach Kieran Campbell had been put in charge of the Ulster squad for the week and the line-up announced on Thursday included a number of Academy players and forwards Alex Thompson and Marcus Rea, who have yet to make their competitive debuts.
    Ulster: Bruce Houston; Iwan Hughes, Stewart Moore, James Hume, Angus Kernohan; Johnny McPhillips, Jonny Stewart; Schalk van der Merwe, Adam McBurney (capt), Tom O'Toole; Matthew Rea, Alex Thompson; Joe Dunleavy, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones.
    Replacements: Zack McCall, Corrie Barrett, Peter Cooper, JJ McKee, David McCann, Jonah C Milligan, Graham Curtis, Michael Stronge.
    Uruguay: Rodrigo Silva; Leandro Leivas, Juan Manuel Cat, Andres Vilaseca, Gaston Mieres; Felipe Berchesi, Santiago Arata; Mateo Sanguinetti, German Kesssler; Ignacio Dotti, Diego Magno; Juan Gaminara (capt), Juan Diego Ormaechea, Alejandro Nieto.
    Replacements: Manuel Ardao, Matias Benitez, Juan Echeverria, Manuel Diana, Leandro Segredo, Tomas Inciarte, Agustin Della Corte, Federico Favaro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Decent crowd at Murrayfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's 4 players from the 1995 team who have died. Very sad. Loved Chester

• Advertisement

Much improved Georgian side, turning the screw in the scrums but unsurprisingly the Premier lads can’t see what is wrong from the Scots.

10-9 to Scotland coming up to halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

England v Italy game is brutal. 9-0 at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

England v Italy game is brutal. 9-0 at half time.

Brutal to watch. Coles, Marler and Launchbury taken off after 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Scotland organizing a rugby game at the same time as the football side seems odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How is Scotland rugby getting on?

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Scotland organizing a rugby game at the same time as the football side seems odd

ScotRail have (yet again) messed up too. Last train heading north from Glasgow is 10 mins after the final whistle and similar from Edinburgh. Though luckily fans can probably leave both early for different reason.

Twickenham having to prompt the crowd to sing Swing Low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

36 9 win

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

swiwi_ wrote: »
    No :(

RIP Chester Williams

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How is Scotland rugby getting on?

Finished 36-9. Georgia held on until around the 70 minute mark, but Scotland had 3 tries within 10 minutes after that. No major injuries on their end, Toolis went off for a HIA and that was about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

razorblunt wrote: »
    Twickenham having to prompt the crowd to sing Swing Low.

It was at St James' Park

Gwildor wrote: »
    It was at St James' Park

Course it was!!!

I think I'd be a little disappointed if I were a Scottish supporter. Not so much the final score - but the manner of it.

Very much so. Hastings had a nightmare.
    Kinghorn and Toolis off for HIAs, the latter might potentially have broken his nose too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's a preseason friendly.....doubt Scotland will be too concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

1995 RWC winner Chester Williams has passed away age 49

RIP

Source rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

14-0 nz after 17 mins. Reece and Ben from accounts.

21-0 Taylor 20 mins

26-0 Bridge

33-0 Read

40-0 Nil Perenara 35 mins. Cody Taylor worryingly subbed for Coltman

47-0 Ben from accounts 38 mins

54-0 Crotty 39 mins every pass sticking on a dry track.

Hard to know what to make of that half. Tonga lost to japan recently.
    Wont hurt confidence i suppose. Time to cap and scrap Josh Ioane to avoid future poaching.

Brad Weber should have played.No need for Aaron off the bench.

Ben Smith and Read don't look old anymore. Peaking at the right time or playing against bums?

• Advertisement

Barrett off at half time. Josh Ioane kicks off on debut, bridge catches it clean. 59-0. Embarrassing effort from Tonga

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement