Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nah, they just want an excuse for their sh1te performances against Ireland ;)

It'll be Ireland's fault by the end of the story due to be Paddy Power being an Irish entity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is it being suggested that players are involved?

All I’ve read is that more than Howley is/was involved! Players or coaches I don’t know! We may see from the teams demeanor when they play on Monday! Will it impact their performance (they’ll still win)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I was tempted to throw a few quid on Wales to win it but not so sure now,what a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's entering territory where Gatland could be involved. That's a huge accusation. It would potentially be the biggest scandal in rugby history.

Not if it goes back to when Gatland was with the lions. If Gatland or any players get pulled into this, then that’s Wales World Cup over and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

NZ and SA national anthems.....the most boring in the world? The match hasn't even started and I'm slowly drifting off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Quick question, I’m watching this morning and enjoying it but would I be right in saying that all the best teams in each pool play each other this weekend? So does that basically mean there won’t be another meaningful game for nearly a month?

And since 2 teams come through each group does it not mean basically every big team bar 1 team from England’s are guaranteed to get through? So the proper games don’t really start until the quarter finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Quick question, I’m watching this morning and enjoying it but would I be right in saying that all the best teams in each pool play each other this weekend? So does that basically mean there won’t be another meaningful game for nearly a month?

And since 2 teams come through each group does it not mean basically every big team bar 1 team from England’s are guaranteed to get through? So the proper games don’t really start until the quarter finals?
    Australia Wales next weekend and quite a lot more....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Australia Wales next weekend and quite a lot more....

Ya but they’re both guaranteed to get out of the group are they not? Just seems a bit wasteful to have to play so many games to just get rid of 1 good team and 10 or 11 terrible ones

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ya but they’re both guaranteed to get out of the group are they not? Just seems a bit wasteful to have to play so many games to just get rid of 1 good team and 10 or 11 terrible ones

Finishing top of the group is normally quite important.

And England still have to play France/Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Maybe.
    What do you do? It isnt better for sport to drop to 16. Sport cant be closing off numbers and Finishing top of pool is quite important
    England still have France, Argentina to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

https://twitter.com/gloucesterrugby/status/1175348470934384641?s=09

Great idea from Gloucetser, fans who have left their seats will have to wait for a break in play to be able to get back into their seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

guapos wrote: »

Great idea from Gloucetser, fans who have left their seats will have to wait for a break in play to be able to get back into their seat

Simple and brilliant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A world cup [in any sport] isn't just about getting rid of the weaker teams.

For those teams aiming to go all the way it's about being able to maintain form, fitness and focus for the duration of the tournament.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

guapos wrote: »

I want to thank this 1,000 times.

The Aviva would be so much better with this policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Paddy Jackson picked up his first cap for London Irish today, got about 30 minutes off the bench for Myler and kicked a conversion. Went well enough, he'll be fighting an uphill battle to displace Myler from the starting jersey who has a lot of Premiership experience and is a reliable option.

Paddy Jackson picked up his first cap for London Irish today, got about 30 minutes off the bench for Myler and kicked a conversion. Went well enough, he'll be fighting an uphill battle to displace Myler from the starting jersey who has a lot of Premiership experience and is a reliable option.

Jackson is a better outhalf. Even when Myler was at his best he was a limited enough player, Jackson was putting in performances against South Africa before circumstances over took him.

I'd be very surprised if there was much of a competition there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

chewed wrote: »
    NZ and SA national anthems.....the most boring in the world? The match hasn't even started and I'm slowly drifting off.

SA is a decent number. Miles better than GSTQ anyway

Jackson is a better outhalf. Even when Myler was at his best he was a limited enough player, Jackson was putting in performances against South Africa before circumstances over took him.

I'd be very surprised if there was much of a competition there.

He is, but he also hasn't played consistent rugby since 2017, his time in Perpignan was fairly brutal albeit playing with a poor team. Myler started 9 games last season for them though, he's not exactly a top level outhalf but I would say he's definitely capable of managing a game for them and knows the systems a bit better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He is, but he also hasn't played consistent rugby since 2017, his time in Perpignan was fairly brutal albeit playing with a poor team. Myler started 9 games last season for them though, he's not exactly a top level outhalf but I would say he's definitely capable of managing a game for them and knows the systems a bit better.

He can know the systems all he wants. That will help him for a couple months tops - Jackson is in a different league as far as outhalves go. I didn't follow him in Perpignan to be fair, so not really sure of the ins and outs of it, but he was the best 10 Ireland have had not named Sexton in the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He can know the systems all he wants. That will help him for a couple months tops - Jackson is in a different league as far as outhalves go. I didn't follow him in Perpignan to be fair, so not really sure of the ins and outs of it, but he was the best 10 Ireland have had not named Sexton in the last 6 years.

He was absolutely useless in Perpignan, but so was everyone else.

Jackson hasn’t shown anything near Pro14 standard rugby in 2 years, never mind international standard. Myler was solid if unspectacular at his peak, and he’s long past that. LI are taking a punt on both really. Madigan probably would have been a much better signing.

• Advertisement

On a more cheery note and pure random general comments (because this is getting depressing), my little lad is starting his first training session this Saturday.

No amount of RWC will tempt me away from that

Well he absolutely loved it, came off the pitch beaming and saying how great it was.

I still feel a bit dirty standing in Cork Con though, I better get over that

He was absolutely useless in Perpignan, but so was everyone else.

Jackson hasn’t shown anything near Pro14 standard rugby in 2 years, never mind international standard. Myler was solid if unspectacular at his peak, and he’s long past that. LI are taking a punt on both really. Madigan probably would have been a much better signing.

Jackson is, understandably, messed in the head.

A season of, hopefully, just good rugby and his form should improve.

Podge_irl wrote: »

He was a non-entity in Perpignan. Granted the pack was constantly on the back foot, and was surrounded by players who didn't care, but his appearances were pretty much those of someone just going through the motions, apart from the first game against Racing. He's very much an unknown commodity since the legal situation, he definitely has the skill there to be a top-flight outhalf, but it's still to be seen over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

He was a non-entity in Perpignan. Granted the pack was constantly on the back foot, and was surrounded by players who didn't care, but his appearances were pretty much those of someone just going through the motions, apart from the first game against Racing. He's very much an unknown commodity since the legal situation, he definitely has the skill there to be a top-flight outhalf, but it's still to be seen over the last two years.

Sorry I gave up on Jackson after this monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Well he absolutely loved it, came off the pitch beaming and saying how great it was.

I still feel a bit dirty standing in Cork Con though, I better get over that
    At least you can admit it.
    And you're not one of those parents who just wants to tell everyone little Timmy plays for Con :pac:

Is it your closest club?

At least you can admit it.
    And you're not one of those parents who just wants to tell everyone little Timmy plays for Con :pac:

Is it your closest club?

Closest senior club, with the good coach to kid ratio and facilities that come with it.
    Fermoy would be my closest but I'm originally from the city so know nobody there. I already know one of the Con Mini coaches, from college team, and other members generally.
    Takes an extra 10 minutes to get there Vs Fermoy.

The options were Con/Douglas/Sunday's Well (I played with the latter 2) but Con just a bit closer.

Pity St. Mary's is out of commuting range ;) (that club is the only thing I miss, from my time in Dublin)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He was out of rugby for a year and then went into a team who were falling apart. Obviously he may not re-capture his form, but even if he doesn't reach the heights he did before he is a better outhalf than Myler by a long, long way so he doesn't need to hit 100%.

As to Madigan, he has no real excuses for his performances and they've seen him benched. I think he would have had a better career as a 12/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The Perpignan team may have been falling to bits, and that may have made their first choice outhalf look bad. But the real damning part of his year is that he wasn't first choice from mid season onwards. The other guy has the same pack and the same team in meltdown.

errlloyd wrote: »
    But the real damning part of his year is that he wasn't first choice from mid season onwards. The other guy has the same pack and the same team in meltdown.

Think he'd largely signalled his intention to move on at that stage, not unusual for a club to give gametime priority to the player they'll be likely holding onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Think he'd largely signalled his intention to move on at that stage, not unusual for a club to give gametime priority to the player they'll be likely holding onto.

Yeah I may be misremembering but pretty sure he was axed after his intention to move on became public. He was getting grief off Perpignan fans around the same time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement