Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

awec wrote: »
    The worry for the IRFU will probably be if they don't buy it, who will?

Would think State would have to intervene then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Eod100 wrote: »

That may not be good news either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The worry for the IRFU will probably be if they don't buy it, who will?

My worry would be that the irfu would be pushed to accept a deal on unfavourable terms due to this fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

To pay for it, maybe CAB can do some Christmas shopping in certain peoples' estates...

That may not be good news either.

Don't think either scenario is ideal but State would presumably be last resort. Presume IRFU would consider what's in their best interest naturally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My worry would be that the irfu would be pushed to accept a deal on unfavourable terms due to this fear.

I'm pretty sure they'd be fairly hard-nosed about this, if it doesn't make sense to buy it then they won't. It is absolutely not up to the IRFU to bail out the FAI.

I'm pretty sure they'd be fairly hard-nosed about this, if it doesn't make sense to buy it then they won't. It is absolutely not up to the IRFU to bail out the FAI.

If the shoe was on the other foot would anyone honestly expect FAI to bail out IRFU? Not a chance I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I feel genuinely sorry for Irish soccer fans given the absolute crooks who have ran that organization into penury. Hopefully they can completely overhaul and rebuild from the ground up.

If the shoe was on the other foot would anyone honestly expect FAI to bail out IRFU? Not a chance I'd say

If Delaney could have found a way to personally benefit - they'd have been on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I feel genuinely sorry for Irish soccer fans given the absolute crooks who have ran that organization into penury. Hopefully they can completely overhaul and rebuild from the ground up.

It's bizarre though. Everybody has known Delaney was corrupt for years. People have been openly talking about it. How in **** was he only forced out a few months ago?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For everyone's sake, it would be far better if the Union bought out the stadium entirely, there must be no circumstances risked where any outside investor had leverage over its operation and its status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    It's bizarre though. Everybody has known Delaney was corrupt for years. People have been openly talking about it. How in **** was he only forced out a few months ago?!

He was only forced out because the press found out what was going on.....the FAI board which was supposed to monitor him had no f**king idea what was going on.....the person who was supposed to look after the finances and negotiate his contract was 80 and thought the FAI had 1 account when they had 25 accounts. The board also had no idea what his contract had in it, including a couple of million for loyalty......

Thats just a few bits that was going on.....the board also refused to quit last time I heard

Larbre34 wrote: »
    For everyone's sake, it would be far better if the Union bought out the stadium entirely, there must be no circumstances risked where any outside investor had leverage over its operation and its status.

I agree, last thing they need is someone buying into it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »

The media were terrified of Delaney revoking their credentials, and fans etc didn't really care until the team became absolutely terrible. Was only when the Sunday Times posted their investigations (around the same time that fans starting calling for Delaney to step aside) that the people who had supported him all along started to realise the gravy train was coming to an end.

Corruption in Ireland is viewed as normal in a way, everyone complains about brown envelopes and using government/charity funds etc but there's rarely prosecutions for it, and your average punter just sort of accepts it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Delaney slapped Injunctions on everything... He held onto that golden goose for a long as he possibly could.

Word from France is that Ibrahim Diarra has died after suffering a stroke recently. Only 36. Awful news

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He was only forced out because the press found out what was going on.....the FAI board which was supposed to monitor him had no f**king idea what was going on.....the person who was supposed to look after the finances and negotiate his contract was 80 and thought the FAI had 1 account when they had 25 accounts. The board also had no idea what his contract had in it, including a couple of million for loyalty......

Thats just a few bits that was going on.....the board also refused to quit last time I heard

I don't know who it was but someone in the FAI turned whistleblower and gave a pile of stuff to Mark Tighe and The Sunday Times. Tighe has spoken about how he even saw minutes for meetings, there's only one way he could have gotten them.

As others have said Delaney was very litigious. When he tried to injunct The Sunday Times story about the hundred grand loan he was also suing Tighe personally. I don't think the media where afraid of him cutting their credentials, they were afraid of his lawyers. When audio footage of him singing that rebel song came out a few years ago Balls.ie put it up on their site. They took it down after being contacted by lawyers and said they just couldn't afford to defend it, even though it was him on the footage and everyone knew it.

As for the IRFU buying the FAI's share in the Aviva, it really might be in their interest to do so. At least then they know what will happen. If a third party buys the FAI share who know's what they'd want to do.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cory Jane back in hurricanes as defense coach.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Read today that the IRFU own 57.5% of the stadium whereas the FAI own 42.5%.

So at least whatever happens, the IRFU are retaining the majority ownership. Given this, its believed that the IRFU see no value in taking full ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Read today that the IRFU own 57.5% of the stadium whereas the FAI own 42.5%.

So at least whatever happens, the IRFU are retaining the majority ownership. Given this, its believed that the IRFU see no value in taking full ownership.

More complex than that even by the sounds of it.

IRFU owns 57.5% of the stadium company - and the company leases the ground from the IRFU.

When the lease expires (I think 2070) then it all reverts back to the IRFU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

blackwhite wrote: »
    More complex than that even by the sounds of it.

IRFU owns 57.5% of the stadium company - and the company leases the ground from the IRFU.

When the lease expires (I think 2070) then it all reverts back to the IRFU

Yep. Very savvy by the IRFU, particularly how it's all panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So the IRFU have the choice of buying just under half of the financial interest of every event held in the Stadium for the next 51 years. There is no large capital asset there because the actual land is already in 100% IRFU ownership and the actual stadium is effectively going to revert to IRFU ownership anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Yep. Very savvy by the IRFU, particularly how it's all panned out.

They were always the owner of the land, so all-in-all it's basically been a smart way to get someone else to part-finance a new asset on the property.

By 2070 the stadium will be long due for replacement anyway, so I'd imagine the long term plan would end up being another similar deal when that comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Laidlaw retires from international rugby

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status/1207632346687643649

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Laidlaw retires from international rugby

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status/1207632346687643649

Scotland's chances of winning has just doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Harsh but true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

jacothelad wrote: »
    Scotland's chances of winning has just doubled.

The ball in play time will go up 25% in their games too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Georgia have announced a partnership with South Africa for the next 11 years, there'll be a Georgian team in the Currie Cup, and "various other works including academy and underage setups".

Great step forward for a tier 2 nation with potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sarries obliterate Bristol whilst Wasps and Leicester both lose at home.

I stand by my belief that Saracens aren't just aiming to avoid relegation; they have every intention of making the top 6.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Sarries obliterate Bristol whilst Wasps and Leicester both lose at home.

I stand by my belief that Saracens aren't just aiming to avoid relegation; they have every intention of making the top 6.

The Premiership quality is awful at the moment. Yes BT are paying millions for it but is it really any better to the Pro 14?

Most of them teams get a hammering from the top teams in Pro 14 and then use the excuse about relegation. Doesn't really hold water anymore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement