Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

awec wrote: »
    When I read that interview earlier I thought the same thing to be honest.

It’s a real shame.

Just trying to think of any Irish player or former Irish player that comes across as the hero they were on the pitch.
    Can only think of O’Connell and Willie John.
    And I really like O’Mahony
    Used to love Woody

Whenever I heard or read Reddan I thought he was solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think any player really comes across as a hero but a bloke that comes across as extremely genuine and likable is Cian Healy. Completely lacks ego and has come back from some serious setbacks without batting an eyelid.

You can count on one hand the number of guys who can say they have a strong argument for being in the top 5 players in the world in their position at the start and end of the decade. To do so despite having almost retired in the middle due to a long term injury makes it more impressive.

I think guys like Jennings, Cullen, Best, Muldoon and Earls all come across with a similar level of sensibility and lack of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer won't admit it, but his favourite is definitely Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    I think guys like Jennings, Cullen, Best, Muldoon and Earls all come across with a similar level of sensibility and lack of BS.

I'd add Mike Ross to that list.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ian Keatley. A gent, by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd add Mike Ross to that list.

And Devin Toner

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer won't admit it, but his favourite is definitely Zebo.

ZeBuer

It's better than Buerbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's exactly how I read it too. He is probably past his best, but getting him into the club has meant London Irish can tap into his experience

Serious question but when was the last game SOB played that he was man of the match...as in really, really good.
    I'm guessing it's more than 2 or 3 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

mfceiling wrote: »
    Serious question but when was the last game SOB played that he was man of the match...as in really, really good.

The Lions series?

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

Lions tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I remember him being immense for Leinster against Exeter, whenever that was. He really was a shadow of himself last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

razorblunt wrote: »
    He's blocked me, no idea why, never interacted with him!

He's blocked half Irish Twitter for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Eod100 wrote: »
    He's blocked half Irish Twitter for some reason!

Williams has?
    I know Jones has and I can recall the tweet leading to the blocking too, not rugby related but still worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Williams has?
    I know Jones has and I can recall the tweet leading to the blocking too, not rugby related but still worth it.

Ah no sorry got mixed up, thought you meant Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

That's exactly how I read it too. He is probably past his best, but getting him into the club has meant London Irish can tap into his experience

Exactly, he is their marque player, he has walked the walk, more than 99% of players, if he was a coach saying that people would commend him for lighting a rocket under the team. That is one of the reasons they signed him for.

In terms of form/injury, the last time I thought he was going well was the Exeter group game. A long time ago now, not too bad against Scotland 6n but nothing approaching his best in a couple of seasons.

But you never know if he can get fit at this lower level/lower pace, he might have some enjoyment in the twilight of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Williams has?

What was the tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Synode wrote: »
    What was the tweet?

He suggested Tom Huddlestone should be the first name on the English plane to Brazil for the WC in 2010. I think I used up all my characters laughing at him.

Went down a youtube rugby rabbit hole last night, thought this was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Nigel Owens is some man. One of the greatest figures in the history of the sport.

forHlwO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hadn't realised Boudjelal had sold off his majority share in Toulon (I knew he'd bee threatening to).

New president says the days of signing superstars are over and the focus will be on the youth system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Nigel Owens is some man. One of the greatest figures in the history of the sport.

forHlwO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

And people love to criticise him at every opportunity.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Adam Thomson joins Chiefs

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/_/623414

Great too see him get one more shot

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

What do people think of the new laws that will be trialed in some competitions this year, specifically the 50:22 Kick, and the Drop-Out for Holding Up?

50:22 kick - If the team in possession kicks the ball from inside their own half indirectly into touch inside their opponents' 22 or from inside their own 22 into their opponents' half, they will throw in to the resultant lineout.

Drop-Out for Holding Up - Defending team gets a goal-line drop-out when an attacking player, who brings the ball into in-goal, is held up.

The 50:22 seems like a good idea to me, will force the defending team to drop players into the backfield, potentially opening up gaps for the attackers. I do wonder about the impact of the Drop-Out law. I can see fewer rolling mauls trundling towards the line, and a lot more pick-and-go's on the line waiting for the perfect opening.

Drop-Out for Holding Up - Defending team gets a goal-line drop-out when an attacking player, who brings the ball into in-goal, is held up.

I hadn't heard about that one, I don't really see the logic in it. Being honest I'd be surprised if either of them came to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Bazzo wrote: »
    I hadn't heard about that one, I don't really see the logic in it. Being honest I'd be surprised if either of them came to be.

As it stands the attacking team can just compile bodies and barrel over the line and at worst they know they'll have a scrum. Its low risk high reward for the attacking team and the defending team is limited in what they can do. This change forces the attacking team to be creative in trying to breach the defence. That's my take on it.

Surprised at Hogg getting the armband.

I wonder did the other potential options have the good sense to steer clear given the form of the team.

Always thought Heaslip should have ran a mile when offered the job under Kidney, absolute hiding to nothing.

As it stands the attacking team can just compile bodies and barrel over the line and at worst they know they'll have a scrum. Its low risk high reward for the attacking team and the defending team is limited in what they can do. This change forces the attacking team to be creative in trying to breach the defence. That's my take on it.

You'll see an awful lot less scoring and an awful lot more props picking and going straight to ground trying to create an overlap. The use of a maul would also diminish drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You'll see an awful lot less scoring and an awful lot more props picking and going straight to ground trying to create an overlap. The use of a maul would also diminish drastically.

I'd be inclined to agree yeah. I didn't have any issue with the law before, but this change could be good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

We'll see significantly less kicking for the corner too. About 5 years ago the returns from kicking the corner crossed a magical threshold (somwhere around 2.7 points I'd have thought), where the proportion of kickable penalty opportunities aimed at the posts diminished hugely.

It won't take much of a swing to go back to goal kicking all available penalties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement