Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clegg wrote: »
    What I wouldn't give for Sports Interactive to make a Rugby Manager game. Far too niche a sport to ever make a profit though.

They wouldn't need to build a while game though, surely it'd just be a reskin of FM? A standard top down match engine too.

Be great to have something like that .

I want a sarries mode though where I can just spend what I like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

If true, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some big money offers for Irish players.

Like who? I can’t see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

They wouldn't need to build a while game though, surely it'd just be a reskin of FM? A standard top down match engine too.

Be great to have something like that .

I want a sarries mode though where I can just spend what I like :)

The main reason I love their games is because of its authenticity. They have a huge network of scouts for underage football and continental football. They have the u23 and u18 teams filled with the real players.

There simply aren't the resources to scout all the SH and NH academies as well as the Irish schools system. Although, I suppose you could cut the real academy systems out and just use regens for youth players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Like who? I can’t see it.

Yeah, I'd say more likely medium-money moves for fringe internationals would be the extent of it. Maybe a Sean O'Brien type move for guys winding down their international career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

https://www.facebook.com/116435835078574/posts/2711798752208923/

European Player of the Year Nominees

Cooney (Ulster)
    Coetezz (Ulster)
    Ringrose (Leinster)
    Larmour (Leinster)
    Furlong (Leinster)
    Russell (R92)
    Vakatawa (R92)
    Tomas (R92)
    Hogg (Exeter)
    Simmonds (Exeter)
    Cowan Dickie (Exeter)
    Ntmack (Toulouse)
    Kaino (Toulouse)
    Moala (Clermont)
    Radradra (Boardeaux / Challenge Cup)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Furlong?

Doris and/or VDF are far more deserving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Faletau has shipped another injury for Bath. He's basically been injured for the last two years. Hope it's not another serious one.

Kind of similar to SOB, that aggressive style doesn’t seem to work if you want a long career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

errlloyd wrote: »

Cooney (Ulster)
    Coetezz (Ulster)
    Ringrose (Leinster)
    Larmour (Leinster)
    Furlong (Leinster)
    Russell (R92)
    Vakatawa (R92)
    Tomas (R92)
    Hogg (Exeter)
    Simmonds (Exeter)
    Cowan Dickie (Exeter)
    Ntmack (Toulouse)
    Kaino (Toulouse)
    Moala (Clermont)

Strange Furlong on list as he was dropped for one game and wasn’t really on fire

Of that list Coetzee is top

None from Sarries either

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Saracens rotated too much to have any individual worth consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

errlloyd wrote: »

Cooney (Ulster)
    Coetezz (Ulster)
    Ringrose (Leinster)
    Larmour (Leinster)
    Furlong (Leinster)
    Russell (R92)
    Vakatawa (R92)
    Tomas (R92)
    Hogg (Exeter)
    Simmonds (Exeter)
    Cowan Dickie (Exeter)
    Ntmack (Toulouse)
    Kaino (Toulouse)
    Moala (Clermont)

It's by far the stupidest player of the year award I've ever seen in sports. By the final, it's narrowed down to players from the final two teams. You could scored 40 tries, be dumped out in the semi final and not even be a finalist for the award. It is interesting that Radradra is there so maybe their thinking has finally changed but I imagine he'll probably have to be in the challenge cup final too to still be in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Said it on the Leinster thread that Furlong probably doesn't deserve the nom this year. VDF has been our standout forward in Europe and he hasn't been given any recognition.

I think some new players are added to the shortlist after the QF's though. Might see him then if Leinster get past Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Don’t see how Furlong is there - Porter just as good. Deegan, VDF & Doris too.

Luke Cowan Dickie is a dark horse. He has been great this season. Starts over George for England for me as stands.

Hogg hasn’t been that great for Exeter imo, but I suppose he’s the big name down there.

Hope Coetzee can stay fit, would love to see him in the Boks back row against the Lions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah, I'd say more likely medium-money moves for fringe internationals would be the extent of it. Maybe a Sean O'Brien type move for guys winding down their international career.

Sexton to Bath rumour starts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

VdF has been Leinster's best player this season imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Vern Cotter announced as new coach of fiji

Vern Cotter announced as new coach of fiji

That could end up being a brilliant bit of business for Fijian rugby.

It could also be an unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

That could end up being a brilliant bit of business for Fijian rugby.

It could also be an unmitigated disaster.

Really nailing your colours to the mast there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Stern Vern and the Fiji Boys.

It's got shenanigans written all over it!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Stern Vern and the Fiji Boys.

It's got shenanigans written all over it!

They'll be sending it in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They'll be sending it in not time

Greatest offload play of all time

• Advertisement

Folau signed for the Catalan Dragons in Super League. You have to wonder if any French Union clubs courted him, despite the obvious reasons not to want him, he is still a marquee signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Saw this being pushed on Twitter but hadn't seen any mention of it here yet.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/a-night-for-doddie-with-scottish-and-irish-legends-tickets-89049107277

Fundraising night for Doddie Weir Foundation in Dtwo this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

hahashake wrote: »
    Folau signed for the Catalan Dragons in Super League. You have to wonder if any French Union clubs courted him, despite the obvious reasons not to want him, he is still a marquee signing.

Wigan Warriors have just announced that their home game against Catalan Dragons on 22nd March will be Pride Day as they look to support the LGBTQ+ community. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

hahashake wrote: »

If they had I doubt he would be playing league tbh

Eod100 wrote: »
    If they had I doubt he would be playing league tbh

Perhaps, but SBW is reportedly earning $10m over 2 years playing for Toronto (which I believe is the biggest contract in either rugby code ever). If the Catalan Dragons have a similar sugar daddy then perhaps it was the biggest offer on the table rather than the last resort it might appear to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

WRT mauls.

If the defending team stand off and the other team move the ball to the back and go forward is that an offence? I have seen different referees make different decisions from play on to scrum to penalty.

Sometimes the defending team will then send one person up to tackle the front of the maul or round the back to tackle the ball carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Do you mean like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

WRT mauls.

If the defending team stand off and the other team move the ball to the back and go forward is that an offence? I have seen different referees make different decisions from play on to scrum to penalty.

Sometimes the defending team will then send one person up to tackle the front of the maul or round the back to tackle the ball carrier.

If the move forward it’s offside. The ball carrier can be tackled as no maul has been formed without an opposition player.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

stephen_n wrote: »
    If the move forward it’s offside. The ball carrier can be tackled as no maul has been formed without an opposition player.

That's what I always thought. However in a match recently the attacking wedge literally marched 15m (with no contact) and the referee let them so a defender then hit the front of it which I thought should have been a penalty but the referee then deemed it a maul!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's what I always thought. However in a match recently the attacking wedge literally marched 15m (with no contact) and the referee let them so a defender then hit the front of it which I thought should have been a penalty but the referee then deemed it a maul!

If the ball doesn't leave the catcher, then it can match forward no problem....and the carrier can be tackled.

If the ball is transferred back with no engagement, and it marches forward, it's obstruction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement