Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

6 Nations looking like it'll be off FTA in the coming years after this new announcement of media rights

https://www.the42.ie/six-nations-media-rights-cvc-4996428-Feb2020/

Wont be thrilled about having to pay to watch the 6N but it's to be expected as this stage.

If they get a good subscription based model I can see myself getting on board

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

6 Nations looking like it'll be off FTA in the coming years after this new announcement of media rights

Wont be thrilled about having to pay to watch the 6N but it's to be expected as this stage.

The quality of the article is questionable.

"The Six Nations is currently shown live on terrestrial TV stations such as RTÉ in Ireland, but there are fears that it may disappear onto subscription-based services in years to come.

Indeed, the Guardian reported this week that the Six Nations’ deal to sell the 15% stake to CVC has been held up by the home unions insisting that the championship will remain live on free-to-air TV."

Firstly it seems to think the 6n is on rte. It's not. Secondly it references that fta has been a condition of the investment from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I don't see anything in that article to say the 6N will no longer be on FTA tv. It has been a condition of the investment from the beginning for the nations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Seems Sarries in a spot of bother over one of their replacements in final round of Champions Cup. Played despite an expired work permit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

errlloyd wrote: »
    The quality of the article is questionable.

"The Six Nations is currently shown live on terrestrial TV stations such as RTÉ in Ireland, but there are fears that it may disappear onto subscription-based services in years to come.

Indeed, the Guardian reported this week that the Six Nations’ deal to sell the 15% stake to CVC has been held up by the home unions insisting that the championship will remain live on free-to-air TV."

Firstly it seems to think the 6n is on rte. It's not. Secondly it references that fta has been a condition of the investment from the beginning.

The majority of the 6 Nations tournaments are shown on RTE - The Womens and the U20s so I think it is a fair statement. Especially when RTE would be the best known terrestrial station and most associated with FTA content.

There probably is an element of assumption here. But given CVCs ethos and history - it's not really that much of a leap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dai Young sacked by Wasps, or in their words "stepping back from first team duties on an interim basis".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Dai Young sacked by Wasps, or in their words "stepping back from first team duties on an interim basis".

Big change for them - He must be close to being the longest serving Premiership headcoach , except maybe Rob Baxter?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’m out of the loop completely but could be personal issues based on the wording perhaps?

I’m out of the loop completely but could be personal issues based on the wording perhaps?

I dunno, I would've imagined their initial statement probably would've mentioned if it was that kind of scenario, rather than saying there would be further announcements to come. Feels more like an Allen Clarke scenario. The board have given him zero budget despite injuries, pretty poor season last year as a result and they've been fairly abysmal this year so far too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd tend to agree.... Hopefully it's not something too serious.

It hard to pin the current position of wasps on young, though maybe they are looking at at from the point of view of no relegation will give him an earned rest / time away to recover whatever he needs to recover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see Bastereud is, err, enjoying his time in New York.

https://twitter.com/stu_mcavoy/status/1227240141124558849?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clegg wrote: »

Looks to be a bit of a fat bastereud alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Looks the same to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Great comment from someone to that tweet..
    He would have to stand a metre behind everyone else in the defensive line to make sure his stomach is onside!

And now being moved to Number 8 for the next game..

He'll be propping by the end of the season..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quin_Dub wrote: »

He'll be propping up a bar in Queens wondering what happened his career.

He's had a career most players could only dream of.

Certainly made the best of what was afforded to him, talent wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think the millions of dollar sitting in his pocket will help

Plus he has had an incredible career, the money he makes now will mean he probably will never have to work again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I don't think that's fair, he has some very obvious and public mental health issues....
    The very fact he's still alive, nevermind playing rugby is something to be admired.
    Personally when he looks back on his career, 50 odd caps, Heineken cup winner..he sees a lot more good than bad

Personally when he looks back on his career, 50 odd caps, Heineken cup winner..he sees a lot more good than bad

Add to that a top14 winner and a captain of his country.

He's had a very good career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Quin_Dub wrote: »

He was playing 8 for Lyon this year.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think the millions of dollar sitting in his pocket will help

Plus he has had an incredible career, the money he makes now will mean he probably will never have to work again

He's only supposed to be in NY for a few months and then back to Lyon for two years. I don't know how much he's on in the US but the Beast is earning about 2 grand a month for comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He's only supposed to be in NY for a few months and then back to Lyon for two years. I don't know how much he's on in the US but the Beast is earning about 2 grand a month for comparison.

Not sure of exact deal but more or less he owns his own rights, so any advertising money goes straight into his pocket

2 grand a month???

Surely your missing a zero in there

sydthebeat wrote: »
    2 grand a month???

Surely your missing a zero in there

It's actually a bit more, close to 3500, the league maximum.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/18/south-african-rugby-star-tendai-mtawarira-signs-with-dc-franchise-fledgling-us-league/%3foutputType=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kolbe starts at 10 for Toulouse! Cartainly one way to ensure he gets on the ball as often as possible.

https://twitter.com/pauleddison/status/1228733327336710144?s=19

Toulouse beating racing away with colbe at 10

Racing score a try at the death to win 30-27

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Toulouse beating racing away with colbe at 10

Colbe was kicking conversions and all, kicked 4 conversions and a penalty, but his one missed kick of the game was a penalty that could've drawn the game if Racing had gone on to score their try afterwards anyways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement