Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

France bans gathering of more than 5,000 people. No more Six Nations for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I hope that bench is reinforced.

Finished 49-0 to Racing. An absolute tonking.

And potentially the European Cup or at least postponement. Two home French games due at the start of April, so who knows where we'll be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's not a clear directive. They're allowing all Ligue 1 games proceed this weekend. PSG have a huge Champions League game this Wednesday and I haven't heard anything about that being cancelled either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

"In confined spaces"

Open air stadiums perhaps okay?

• Advertisement

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    "In confined spaces"

It says some external events also. So who knows for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    "In confined spaces"

Paris half marathon tmrw is off. 44000 participants

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Paris half marathon tmrw is off. 44000 participants

Balls. I'm supposed to be doing the marathon there in 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Nemani Nadolo moving on from Montpellier to join Leicester next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bazzo wrote: »
    Nemani Nadolo moving on from Montpellier to join Leicester next season.

Imagine facing off against tuilagi and nadolo in the center...... Ouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Christ but Dan Tuohy sounds like the worst guy to have around a squad. Self - centred, petty, juvenile, aggro, narcissistic. And all that with stunningly average levels of talent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Christ but Dan Tuohy sounds like the worst guy to have around a squad. Self - centred, petty, juvenile, aggro, narcissistic. And all that with stunningly average levels of talent.

What's this in relation to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I really didnt get that at all. Wouldnt agree with any of that tbh
    What's this in relation to?
    he was on off the ball this evening in response to the comments he'd made about 'rotten core'of the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I really didnt get that at all. Wouldnt agree with any of that tbh

he was on off the ball this evening in response to the comments he'd made about 'rotten core'of the sport.

Haven’t listened to interview yet but the article he sounded like he was fairly on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm not talking about his allegations around the sport itself, I have no basis on which to judge it.

I'm talking about his answers to the questions in the interview and (in fairness to him) his own description of his behaviour, his attitude and his disposition.

For example, he said he didn't continue his education after secondary school, preferred to be out picking fights in town. He said he said decent relationships with Brian McLaughlin and Mark Anscombe but not so much with all the other coaches he worked with. He described how Joe Schmidt knew how to "break me," "push my buttons", and says he did that by pointing out his shortcomings and where he needed to improve!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd be surprised if anyone has a decent relationship with all the coaches they've worked with. Some players have a right go at the coaches they didn't get on with when they retire or write a book (Ferris on Matt Williams and Mike Ross had a go at someone too), which he held back from and spoke well of coaches that he liked.

I thought overall he was pretty fair. He did say he thought he might have gotten more Ireland caps, but not loads more. His form, which he admitted, and injuries held him back.

I'd say the pre season goal setting can become a right pain in the arse too.

As for the values of the game, I don't know how they fit into the professional game. It's a different beast to what's gone before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'm not talking about his allegations around the sport itself, I have no basis on which to judge it.

I'm talking about his answers to the questions in the interview and (in fairness to him) his own description of his behaviour, his attitude and his disposition.

For example, he said he didn't continue his education after secondary school, preferred to be out picking fights in town. He said he said decent relationships with Brian McLaughlin and Mark Anscombe but not so much with all the other coaches he worked with. He described how Joe Schmidt knew how to "break me," "push my buttons", and says he did that by pointing out his shortcomings and where he needed to improve!

Listened to interview, he sounded like decent guy and was at pains to discuss family/friends etc

Not sure why you would take from that interview any of the below....seemed like a really geniune guy!!!

Maybe just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I suggest you listen again, because you’re paraphrasing and getting something completely different than what he actually said. You could honestly get a job headline writing for a clickbait publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah, was expecting something far more dramatic when I listened to the interview. The piece that stayed with me was the horrendous injury which ended his career.

He came across relatively well and his opinions were somewhat less explosive than any headlines made them out to be. He does come across as a bit of a pain in the arse and he admitted himself that he's probably not the easiest person in the world to work with. If he admits that himself, then we can safely imagine he was a difficult pr*ck at times.

He was quite complimentary about a number of coaches in his career too. Pat Lam, Bryan McLaughlin, Mark Anscombe and even Schmidt to an extent. His biggest gripe in relation to Ireland was being on stand by in 2015 and then finding out from someone in the squad that Mike McCarthy was called up ahead of him which, in all honesty, wasn't anything too surprising. Neither of them were really at that level of quality and the guy with more experience in the set up got the nod.

It sounded like he would rather be playing rugby in a different generation, to be honest. Rugby is a professional business and it's going to operate as such. Some people were poor man managers during the amateur days and there were more dodgy, corrupt selection decisions then too. Money corrupts but there was plenty of corruption within the game in days gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

stephen_n wrote: »
    I suggest you listen again, because you’re paraphrasing and getting something completely different than what he actually said. You could honestly get a job headline writing for a clickbait publication.

Yeah - I actually thought he came across as someone for whom things hadn't been straightforward, and he was very careful to point out his own shortcomings. He actually said rugby and his scholarship to Hartpury College helped sort him out and move him away from fighting every weekend.

Intelligent and considered, I thought, and infinitely more interesting than the usual glossy dross. Doesn't have anywhere rugby pedigree as ROG, for example, but much more engrossing story and talker.

But pearl-clutchers gonna clutch pearls, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That’s a take that’s wide of the mark. Trimble has said he was a fantastic guy to have around the squad both on and off the field.

He also seemed to be asking for more face to face honesty from coaches like Lam when he sat him down, that’s not a huge amount to ask on a basic decency level.

I thought he was pretty forthright in that he thinks he could have had more caps, not should have but at the same time not a massive amount.

His injury sounds horrific though, I hope he gets back a level of comfort that will allow him to do all the things he wants to do ... nappy changing for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jack Singleton gone on loan to Gloucester for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

You might like this. A little bit of handbags during a Lions game.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1238212378795401216

If you have s4c

Wlaes v Scotland u20 is on at 7.30

Might be the last live rugby we see for sometime

Wonder what impact this may have on budgets for next season too if the season gets canned

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If you have s4c

Wlaes v Scotland u20 is on at 7.30

Might be the last live rugby we see for sometime

Wonder what impact this may have on budgets for next season too if the season gets canned

Super rugby lads! Super rugby.... I

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm desperately watching Salford Reds v Wigan at the moment...it's not real rugby...but it will do

bilston wrote: »
    I'm desperately watching Salford Reds v Wigan at the moment...it's not real rugby...but it will do

Wales v Scotland u20s not much better

17 - 5 to Scotland

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement