Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Well I was referring to this weekend.

All world sport that has an international aspect will shut down for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That just makes me dislike her even more ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Does anyone know where I can find the full England NZ match from the WC? Had a look on YouTube and can only see highlights.

Thought I’d rewatch since there’s no sport on.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Ireland v Wales 2009, is on Virgin Media soon. Won’t be able to watch live but going to record it to watch tonight.

Just hope I can avoid the result until then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sean O'Brien's run of luck is continuing. He started his first game for London Irish in what looks like could be their last game of the season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Sean O'Brien's run of luck is continuing. He started his first game for London Irish in what looks like could be their last game of the season!

I would say the fact that he is actually playing again after a hip operation and also that London Irish are not going to be relegated, he would count himself very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Already posted in 3 threads but not surprising and the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Real shame for some of the lads in 20s this year had the look of a good team and unfortunately it may cost some of.them contracts they may have gotten. Still with it being held in northern Italy in particular it's better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,676 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

In weeks of continuous bad news, here is a small bit of good news :-

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51988979

Know I clash with most people here down they years , but wish you all well , stay safe.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I was reading the heartbreaking article in the Irish times just now from interview with a lady who lost her son to a tragic brain injury. I'm wondering has the education improved on this for kids from when I played underage rugby. I'm increasingly convinced the most effective prevention is to help kids learn how to self diagnose and encourage them to opt out. How do you get it across to kids so that they can recognise symptoms. I know myself it took a couple of hard knocks for me to be able to realize what had happened myself. I'm interested to know what underage coaches do now to help educate kids on head injuries.

When did you last play under age rugby?

I was reading the heartbreaking article in the Irish times just now from interview with a lady who lost her son to a tragic brain injury. I'm wondering has the education improved on this for kids from when I played underage rugby. I'm increasingly convinced the most effective prevention is to help kids learn how to self diagnose and encourage them to opt out. How do you get it across to kids so that they can recognise symptoms. I know myself it took a couple of hard knocks for me to be able to realize what had happened myself. I'm interested to know what underage coaches do now to help educate kids on head injuries.
    when did you last play/be involved in underage rugby?
    Education is better and coaches in the main will do more to take players out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It would have been 2006. At that time you would have left the field if you were visibly stumbling or had been knocked cold. Apart from that you might easily play 10 mins of a game in a dream until you even realised something had happened to you. I'm not really sure how you cure that but if young players can recognize more quickly it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It would have been 2006. At that time you would have left the field if you were visibly stumbling or had been knocked cold. Apart from that you might easily play 10 mins of a game in a dream until you even realised something had happened to you. I'm not really sure how you cure that but if young players can recognize more quickly it would help.

There's a lot more education amongst coaches and clubs in general these days (from my experience), particularly with the likes of the SAFE training covering it and all coaches from Minis and up having to do the World Rugby Concussion awareness program. The introduction of return to play protocols for amateur games is a big change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Anyone clued into share values and what they mean

https://twitter.com/paulcullystuff/status/1241955050273902592?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not that clued in but I'd hazard a guess that a company being worth 0.035% of what it was 6 years ago isn't great

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sky is worth less than a top-end footballer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If you're an investor and had bought shares six years ago it means you may as well have set fire to your money at the time.

For the company a collapsed share price destroys your ability to raise capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Sky is worth less than a top-end footballer?

Different companies...same name. Sky UK has no part in this.... NZ rugby owns 5% of the broadcaster...so if one fails, so does the other

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's a lot more education amongst coaches and clubs in general these days (from my experience), particularly with the likes of the SAFE training covering it and all coaches from Minis and up having to do the World Rugby Concussion awareness program. The introduction of return to play protocols for amateur games is a big change too.

Absolutely..

As an underage coach the level of awareness and information has increased dramatically in recent years.

There are zero risks taken - If a player gets a knock , they are taken out of training/match situation immediately and if they display any symptoms in the following 24/48 hrs then they are stood down and follow the return to play protocols - Which is basically 3 weeks out from when you are "asymptomatic" , so depending on the severity they could be out for longer..

Referees are very tuned in as well and they have the final decision on removing a player , this avoids any temptation by either the player or their coach to ignore anything.

It can never be perfect , but a huge amount of focus has been put on it in recent years.

One big gap that still exists however is cross communication between sports - If a player is sitting out rugby due to the RTP protocols they are often still playing Soccer or GAA although Parents are taking more of a role as well..

But if someone is concussed playing one sport, the other sports should be obligated to observe the same Return to play protocols..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ealing Trailfinders seeking legal advice over the cancellation of the championship season. Despite the fact they were 18 POINTS behind Newcastle. Reprobates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ealing Trailfinders seeking legal advice over the cancellation of the championship season. Despite the fact they were 18 POINTS behind Newcastle. Reprobates.

I'd imagine that's more as an attempt at a two finger salute to the RFU for slashing their funding.

newcastles response was tasty too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've heard rumblings of potentially similar things here in Ireland. A number of clubs at all levels - AIL and Junior are considering challenging the complete cancellation and the removal of Promotion/Relegation etc.

Not sure if they go "legal" per se, but lots of clubs trawling through IRFU and Branch level by-laws etc. looking to see if they have an angle to get the missing games played at a later date rather than the effectively complete nullification of the current season as it stands.

No one complaining about not playing now , just a lot wondering why they couldn't be played later..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've heard rumblings of potentially similar things here in Ireland. A number of clubs at all levels - AIL and Junior are considering challenging the complete cancellation and the removal of Promotion/Relegation etc.

Not sure if they go "legal" per se, but lots of clubs trawling through IRFU and Branch level by-laws etc. looking to see if they have an angle to get the missing games played at a later date rather than the effectively complete nullification of the current season as it stands.

No one complaining about not playing now , just a lot wondering why they couldn't be played later..

The IRFU diktat regarding promotion/relegation was for AIL only (incl. the Round Robin) - down to each branch to decide how they act in terms of their own Junior leagues etc.

I know in Leinster, as of Friday lunchtime they were trying to agree time & details for a Branch Executive Meeting to decide on how to handle - hoping to have it over the weekend or else early this week

ah right. Much better now. See that from refereeing games. I think the safe rugby level 1 course is great and far more coaches should be doing it.
    the rtp protocols been great. SAFE training is very good. Did it a few years ago and highly recommend it to all whether very active in coaching or not.
    Absolutely..

As an underage coach the level of awareness and information has increased dramatically in recent years.

There are zero risks taken - If a player gets a knock, they are taken out of training/match situation immediately and if they display any symptoms in the following 24/48 hrs then they are stood down and follow the return to play protocols - Which is basically 3 weeks out from when you are "asymptomatic", so depending on the severity they could be out for longer..

Referees are very tuned in as well and they have the final decision on removing a player, this avoids any temptation by either the player or their coach to ignore anything.

It can never be perfect, but a huge amount of focus has been put on it in recent years.

One big gap that still exists however is cross communication between sports - If a player is sitting out rugby due to the RTP protocols they are often still playing Soccer or GAA although Parents are taking more of a role as well..

But if someone is concussed playing one sport, the other sports should be obligated to observe the same Return to play protocols..
    would be great if a system could be put in to help alert people across all sports. Even between players playing for multiple teams in same sport across club & school/college.

problem is when you can play them. Cant play them over summer and unless you change next seasons competitions hard to find room for a lot more games then.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    The IRFU diktat regarding promotion/relegation was for AIL only (incl. the Round Robin) - down to each branch to decide how they act in terms of their own Junior leagues etc.

I know in Leinster, as of Friday lunchtime they were trying to agree time & details for a Branch Executive Meeting to decide on how to handle - hoping to have it over the weekend or else early this week
    connacht competitions are same as irfu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The EPCR has confirmed that this season's Heineken Champions Cup final and semi-finals have all been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The competition was put on ice obviously but this is just really official confirmation on the finals too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement