Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Healy has said he can bench more than Porter and holds the record in the Irish camps. Porter's strength was always squats, holds a PB of something mental like 350kg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Will Genia WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    Will Genia WTF.

Did two reps as well apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »
    Will Genia WTF.

Never mind that, ROG has apparently smashed the world record.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

some questionable figures there.. even apart from the ROG attempt at humour.

did the beast just not give a fcuk ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

sydthebeat wrote: »

I doubt a huge amount of rugby players are pushing themselves for verified one rep max records

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I can't believe Ben Tameifuna can't even lift his own body weight. Lazy bugger.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I doubt a huge amount of rugby players are pushing themselves for verified one rep max records

Indeed. I recall Josh Lewsey who was famously a fitness maniac was asked about his max rep. He said he hadn't done any bench press in a couple of years. Only did dumbell press on a gym ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

What do ye reckon? Sensible, off the wall, or just so crazy it could actually work?

https://twitter.com/andymcgeady/status/1255538346497015808

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eod100 wrote: »
    What do ye reckon? Sensible, off the wall, or just so crazy it could actually work?

The clubs and unions need money soon not in a years time

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »

Sure but not sure where money will come from either way until matches can be played. It's staring to look like September may be soon for new season to start but think it would be delayed a bit rather than until February if that was the case tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Saracens wouldn't miss a season in Europe (if they won it in "this" 19/21 year) in that case.

So I'm against it for that reason alone.

Sure but not sure where money will come from either way until matches can be played. It's staring to look like September may be soon for new season to start but think it would be delayed a bit rather than until February if that was the case tbh.

Matches may start in the autumn behind closed doors with at least tv and sponsorship money coming in. Hard to know when exactly but it will be as soon as its feasible they won’t wait beyond when they have to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It could work..

Throw in a short knock-out competition for each league from Oct - Jan/Feb that would give clubs between 8 and 10 fixtures each.

They could have Bowl and Plate Competitions to keep everyone playing . Think like a 7's Series tournament but spread out over 10/12 weeks instead of 2/3 days

And then finish out the current season from late February or whenever.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Saracens wouldn't miss a season in Europe (if they won it in "this" 19/21 year) in that case.

So I'm against it for that reason alone.

Yes they will - They are relegated no matter what and even if they won it they can't play in it from outside the Premiership.

Matches may start in the autumn behind closed doors with at least tv and sponsorship money coming in. Hard to know when exactly but it will be as soon as its feasible they won’t wait beyond when they have to.

I'm not sure could I see behind closed doors happening. Maybe in Premiership but hard to see it happening with Pro14 with teams from 5 countries. Issues around travel too of course for short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes they will - They are relegated no matter what and even if they won it they can't play in it from outside the Premiership.

Ah I misread, apologies. I thought it was just Europe that would be continuing next year. Correct indeed!

Objection withdrawn.

I'm not sure could I see behind closed doors happening. Maybe in Premiership but hard to see it happening with Pro14 with teams from 5 countries. Issues around travel too of course for short term.

Yeah very hard to organize but my point was they will do it as soon as they can they won’t wait until a date next year if they can at all organize it this year.

Yeah very hard to organize but my point was they will do it as soon as they can they won’t wait until a date next year if they can at all organize it this year.

Ah yeah that makes sense alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They can plan on a February resumption and then if there is a lifting of restrictions before that play a shorter winter series to fill in time.

There was kind of a precedent for this recently in women’s soccer a couple of years ago, when the English league moved to a winter season from a summer season which would have left them with a huge gap, they played a “summer series” where everyone played everyone else once. There’s plenty of scope for an extended competitive pre-season to lead into a February restart of all competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sydthebeat wrote: »

I actually posted similar on Twitter. Genia benching the same as The Beast? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Saw this on Planet Rugby forum. List of highest bench press by rugby players from an article on the NZ Herald.

Ronan O'Gara (Munster) 360kg

Gheorghe Gajion (Ospreys) 230kg

Aled de Malmanche (Stade Francis, retired) 220kg

Andrew Sheridan (Sale Shark, retired) 215kg

Alfie To'oala Vaeluaga (Samoa) 210kg

WillGriff John (Sale Sharks) 210kg

Max Lahiff (Bristol Bears) 210kg

Nicky Smith (Ospreys) 200kg

Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) 200kg

Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons) 200kg

Tom Court (Ulster, retired) 200kg

Jack Whetton (Highlanders) 200kg

Ben Tameifuna (Racing 92) 190kg

Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers) 190kg

Siate Tokolahi (Highlanders) 190kg

Cian Healy (Leinster) 190kg

David Kilcoyne (Munster) 187.5kg

Jackson Wray (Saracens) 187.5kg

Maro Itoje (Saracens) 187.5kg

David Pocock (Panasonic Wildknights) 185kg

Ugo Monye (Harlequins, retired) 185kg

Joe Moody (Crusaders) 180kg

Pouri Rakete-Stones (Hawk's Bay) 180kg

Will Genia (Rebels) 180kg

Digby Ioane (Glendale Raptors) 180kg

Mike McCarthy (Leinster, retired) 180kg

Tendai Mtawarira (Old Glory) 180kg

Gareth Denman (Coventry) 180kg

Tom James (Scarlets) 180kg

Paul O'Connell (Munster, retired) 179kg

Nemani Nadolo (Montpellier) 175kg

Eben Etzebeth (Toulon) 175kg

Jaycob Matiu (Northland) 170kg

Ben Funnell (Crusaders) 165kg

Pierre Spies (Montpellier, retired) 165kg

Matt Vaai (Counties Manukau) 162.5kg

Pete Samu (Brumbies) 160kg

Sam Whitelock (Panasonic Wildknights) 160kg

Matt Todd (Crusaders) 150kg

Caleb Timu (Montpellier) 150kg

Andy Goode (Newcastle Falcons) 150kg

Dan Carter (free agent) 145kg

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints) 140kg

Jim Hamilton (Saracens, retired) 140kg

Sonny Bill Williams (ex-Blues) 140kg

Richie Mo'unga (Crusaders) 137kg

Wonder what Andrew Porter's best is. He's done quite a bit of powerlifting, I believe.

Absolute bollocks. The world record for a single rep bench press is 350kg and it was from a professional powerlifter who can barely walk.

File:Julius_Maddox.jpg

I seriously doubt ROG could shift 360kg in any lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

troyzer wrote: »
    Absolute bollocks. The world record for a single rep bench press is 350kg and it was from a professional powerlifter who can barely walk.

Pfft!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Pity. The article has removed the ROG entry! Some mistake to let through though.

I wouldn't be surprised if RoGs highest bench is less than 100kg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do you think it was meant to be taken seriously??

I'd say Stringer could

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I see John Hayes couldn't even make that list. So weak.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I see John Hayes couldn't even make that list. So weak.

I'd say I'm surprised but that would be a huge lie. I see Tom Court is there doing himself justice and making a mockery of the decision to select Hayes ahead of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement