Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

jacothelad wrote: »
    Does the Orange card mean the player has to march around the traditional perimeter while playing a flute for 15 minutes?.....:D

Could cause confusion in the Aviva - do you walk around the perimeter of the pitch, or do you follow the traditional route that the old Lansdowne Road pitch used be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rule 4 is interesting. Attacking teams won't "camp on the line" anymore, they will be forced to choose when to risk an attempt to score.

I'm not going to miss the choke tackle too much.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

very surprised to see just 1.3 scrum penalties per match

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't get it tbh, it seems pointless to me. Like deck chairs on the titanic stuff.

Are they suggesting that these measures are the difference between rugby being safe or not safe? I don't buy it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Profs Kingston Mills and Anthony Staines were on OTB last night. Mills said that there was no issue with pro rugby (or any pro sport) returning once there was regular testing introduced for the players and staff. He said the situation was obviously different for the amateur game as regular testing couldn't be provided. Staines who's a proponent of staying locked down until the virus is eradicated didn't disagree with any of this.

My take on it was that Prof Mills doesn't think there is really a need for all these law changes as long as regular testing was done. Anyone else listen to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Rule 4 is interesting. Attacking teams won't "camp on the line" anymore, they will be forced to choose when to risk an attempt to score.

Drop goal bonanza on the way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

jacothelad wrote: »
    Drop goal bonanza on the way.

I wonder if that rule, along with the change to the maul rule, will see teams taking shots at goal more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    I don't get it tbh, it seems pointless to me. Like deck chairs on the titanic stuff.

Are they suggesting that these measures are the difference between rugby being safe or not safe? I don't buy it.

I dont think it's about being as black and white as that. It's a case if reducing the levels of risk where they can while not overly comprising the game. So it's going for a "where there once was an 80% risk, theres now a 60% risk" type idea. In the hope that the 20% reduction allows them back playing a month or two earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I see one of two thing happening if scrum resets are done away with.

One is more scrum related injuries, currently a reset is an option used by the ref countless times a game and it will be called if a bind is even a minuscule out... I have a feeling if a reset wasn't an option, then refs would be more inclined to turn a blind eye to bad scrummaging in the interest of getting the scrum completed.

If this doesn't happen, then I see the days of a giant brute of a prop being numbered and forwards becoming smaller and more nimble.

Its a sunny day and I'm half cut, so this could all be gibberish but right now, its my thoughts so yis can deal with it haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

sydthebeat wrote: »
    very surprised to see just 1.3 scrum penalties per match

I think they mean penalties where the team chooses to take the scrum option - very poorly phrased.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    The amount of people replying to that who simply dont understand how much the game is suffering & will continue to suffer without any income is scary. It's not like Unions have kept that quiet or anything. "You're just turning it into rugby league. Either it's safe to play or it isn't. Just wait until it is".

Why do so many people struggle to stop & think before they speak/type?

Not entirely sure the financial hardships the IRFU will be under if they are unable to play games should be all that relevant to the decision on whether it is safe to play games.

If it is not safe to play then they shouldn't play. I'll leave it up to medical people to make the judgements, but I have a hard time believing these measures will make any significant impact to the safety levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Always thought that rule was incongruous with how mauls are reffed in any other situation. Defending team drops the maul at the lineout, penalty. Team does the same in a choke tackle, wins the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Goal-line drop out when an attacker is held up in-goal

Bull****. What happened to advantage goes to the attacking team?
    Remove choke tackle and reward for defensive team.

Oh I see. We're now going for advantage to the attacking team? More bull****.
    Ruck "use it" duration time from 5 to 3 seconds.

Yeah, like that's ever properly applied.
    No one can join a maul if not in it at the start
    Only one forward movement at Maul

Mauls to now go the length of the pitch because the defensive team can't add anyone extra in in time and once the initial lads are pushed past. Can't see the second rule having enough of an impact. Refs will just be calling mauls over immediately, I reckon.

I honestly don't see how any of this makes it any safer for players, if one of them is infected. Obviously particularly in the forwards.

As awec said, deckchairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Came across a video on YouTube of the ireland vs australia world cup game that was shown live in the 3 arena, i wonder why it was never tried again. Attendance was decent and I remember it being great craic despite it being early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Curious about this

Would the location of Sale rugby union (Manchester) and Newcastle rugby union be deemed odd as the north of England is Rugby League territory

Not much rugby league in the south of england

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Curious about this

Would the location of Sale rugby union (Manchester) and Newcastle rugby union be deemed odd as the north of England is Rugby League territory

Not much rugby league in the south of england

Not too sure about Newcastle but Sale is definitely in the heart of rugby league country, it's most popular in a band across the north roughly following the m62(Liverpool to Hull). A quick Google shows that the club predates the split of league from union so they might have just held on.

Newcastle is not a million miles from Scotland where union is obviously dominant, particularly in the nearby borders region.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

I lived in the NE England for a few years and no Rugby League is played that I can remember. There are a number of Union clubs playing at all levels. Soccer would be the main participant and spectator sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_XXV

yeah the top rugby league clubs seem to be in one similar area excpet for Toronto and Catalans

Never got into Rugby League

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

My experience of playing in England is that everyone just switched codes when they move south, without much fuss at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

When Rugby comes back Genge will be 5 stone overweight.

https://twitter.com/EllisGenge/status/1266716407192072192?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Extra cold, what a charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A prop drinking extra cold.

Next he'll be wearing colourful boots and one of those long sleeve compression shirts.

Shameful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

A prop drinking extra cold.

Next he'll be wearing colourful boots and one of those long sleeve compression shirts.

Shameful stuff.

Dont forget the fingerless gloves....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Wasn't extra cold just a marketing scam?

Ie that we currently drink is the same as what they were calling extra cold a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jaguares are done

All their players will end up in England and France

https://twitter.com/Argentina_2027/status/1267197258572935176?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wasn't extra cold just a marketing scam?

Ie that we currently drink is the same as what they were calling extra cold a while back?
    yeah it was marketing nonsense
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Jaguares are done

All their players will end up in England and France

https://twitter.com/Argentina_2027/status/1267197258572935176?s=19
    great shame. Rugby needs to expand not go inwards. Aussies struggling nig time. South Africans looking north and that isnt good for the sport

Hopefully when rugby is back next season. Whenever that is that everyone here will support the local clubs. Provinces will all be fine eventually but many clubs across the country will not survive. Many have set up go fund me fundraisers and/or online lottos. Would be great if many here could support the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Shame about the Jaguares as they made a real impact on Super rugby, but geographically they were very isolated.

I think we need to think time zones, not hemispheres.

Get South Africa into the European sphere. Align Japan, the Pacific Islands, Australia and NZ and try and organise an Americas tournament with Argentina, USA, Canada and Uruguay.

This would be much friendlier to broadcasters and in the long run might help grow the sport more within the Tier 2 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    Shame about the Jaguares as they made a real impact on Super rugby, but geographically they were very isolated.

I think we need to think time zones, not hemispheres.

Get South Africa into the European sphere. Align Japan, the Pacific Islands, Australia and NZ and try and organise an Americas tournament with Argentina, USA, Canada and Uruguay.

This would be much friendlier to broadcasters and in the long run might help grow the sport more within the Tier 2 nations.
    major issue is Japan and Pacific islands doesnt bring near income south Africa will for oz/nz. Standard of play isnt going to be as strong either. South Africa playing in Europe will just see even more players concentrated in Europe. Argentina will stagnate in an Americas focused tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Bring Argies into the 8 Nations based out of Spain. Base the Jaguars in Barcelona also and let them into the PRO14. Watch the game grow in Spain as a result

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement