Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Does that mean global calendar off the table presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Eod100 wrote: »
    Does that mean global calendar off the table presumably?

Sounds like it...talk about a missed opportunity...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    Sounds like it...talk about a missed opportunity...

There’s just too many stakeholders, also the NH were going to have to give a lot more than the SH.
    It is the best chance for a change over we’ll ever get but I’d say it would take a lot to get agreement With everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The latest drama in the Premiership is gas. George Skivington appointed head coach of Gloucester despite the fact he was still under contract with LI who are not happy about it. Gas stuff, great craic

It’s probably fate now that they’ll have to pay over the odds to get him and it won’t work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The latest drama in the Premiership is gas. George Skivington appointed head coach of Gloucester despite the fact he was still under contract with LI who are not happy about it. Gas stuff, great craic

It’s probably fate now that they’ll have to pay over the odds to get him and it won’t work out

Didn't realise Ackermann was gone, thought he'd had a massive(mostly positive) influence on them during his tenure from my admittedly cursory knowledge of premiership rugby. Was he sacked/not renewed or got a better offer elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    Didn't realise Ackermann was gone, thought he'd had a massive(mostly positive) influence on them during his tenure from my admittedly cursory knowledge of premiership rugby. Was he sacked/not renewed or got a better offer elsewhere?

Official line is that he left on his own behalf apparently, gone to Japan. But there's been murmurs of him being pushed out by players and top brass (with Cipriani being one of the names thrown around). Humphreys leaving the DOR role shortly after he left is a bit dubious as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Brad Barrett extends his contract until the end of the season. Was rather hoping he wouldn't be in situ for the European QF.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

good luck trying to entice test level players to play in russia for 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    good luck trying to entice test level players to play in russia for 5 years
    could be plenty of very decent pros who havent snowballs chance of making international set up in bigger/stronger nations who could make move.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

could be plenty of very decent pros who havent snowballs chance of making international set up in bigger/stronger nations who could make move.

5 years makes this a near impossibility to me. The money and contract commitment from the union/club would have to be very good. Japan can make it work because the standard of living is excellent and Top League salaries are able to entice players of Super Rugby level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rumours on Twitter about Fiji and Japan joining up with 6N teams for a one off tournament if the AI don't go ahead.
    Makes not a lot of sense to me but that's the rumour.

OldRio wrote: »
    Rumours on Twitter about Fiji and Japan joining up with 6N teams for a one off tournament if the AI don't go ahead.
    Makes not a lot of sense to me but that's the rumour.

TV money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

TV money.

Im not thinking that way. I know the Unions need the money.
    I'm thinking if Southern Hemisphere teams can't play the AIs because of Covid why can Fiji and Japan?
    In all honesty why any team would want to play in England's at the moment is odd.

OldRio wrote: »
    Im not thinking that way. I know the Unions need the money.
    I'm thinking if Southern Hemisphere teams can't play the AIs because of Covid why can Fiji and Japan?
    In all honesty why any team would want to play in England's at the moment is odd.

Both would be playing games in Europe in November anyway and NZ and Aus govts might be ultra strict on their players leaving the country

Might be a case of get someone, anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Any idea where Japan and Fiji would play there "home games"? Be nice they had Fiji use thomond and Japan use Ashton gate or something, local rugby fans might come out and support them like at a world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

My top five players per position in the world atm:

1. Vunipola, Kitshoff, Moody, Marler, Schoemann
    2. Marx, George, Taylor, Coles, Chat
    3. Furlong, Sinckler, Koch, Tu'ungafasi, Faumuina
    4. Retallick, Ryan, Jones, Lawes, Tuipulotu
    5. Itoje, de Jager, Snyman, Whitelock, Nakarawa
    6. du Toit, Matera, Curry, Fifita, Ollivon
    7. Cane, Savea, Underhill, Tipuric, Kolisi
    8. Vunipola, Vermuelen, Yato, Alldritt, Sotutu
    9. Dupont, Smith, Perenara, de Klerk, Serin
    10. Farrell, Mo'unga, Pollard, Anscombe, Ford
    11. Radradra, Adams, Bridge, Stockdale, Daly
    12. Kerevi, de Allende, Lienert-Brown, Laumape, Steyn
    13. Tuilagi, Davies, Vakatawa, Am, O'Connor
    14. Kolbe, May, Penaud, Matsushima, Reece
    15. Barrett, Williams, Hogg, le Roux, Beale

Not too sure about the last loosehead. Don't think Healy's at that level anymore.

Ireland players most likely to break into that club?:

1. Porter
    2. Kelleher
    3. Porter or maybe Clarkson if Porter switches across
    4. Baird
    5. Ahern*
    6. Baird
    7. Leavy or Connors or Hodnett
    8. Doris
    9. Casey
    10. H. Byrne
    11. Lowe or Larmour
    12. um..?
    13. S. Moore
    14. Baloucoune or maybe T. O'Brien
    15. Stockdale? Blaine McIlroy's brother looks promising, but very early days

*Henderson looked excellent on the last Lions tour. I think Gatland's coaching suits him. It'll be interesting to see how he goes if he's selected again. There's probably a spot up for grabs with Kruis heading to Japan. I'm not sure we'll see the best of him alongside Ryan. There's something a bit missing from that partnership imo. I don't think they complement each other very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

5 years makes this a near impossibility to me. The money and contract commitment from the union/club would have to be very good. Japan can make it work because the standard of living is excellent and Top League salaries are able to entice players of Super Rugby level.

I'd imagine Moscow and St Petersburg would have quite a few upsides for a super athlete in his early 20's.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Any idea where Japan and Fiji would play there "home games"? Be nice they had Fiji use thomond and Japan use Ashton gate or something, local rugby fans might come out and support them like at a world cup.

At a guess no home games for them

• Advertisement

Not too sure about the last loosehead. Don't think Healy's at that level anymore.

1. Porter
    2. Kelleher
    4. Baird
    5. Ahern*
    6. Baird
    8. Doris
    9. Casey
    10. H. Byrne
    11. Lowe or Larmour
    12. um..?
    13. S. Moore

*Henderson looked excellent on the last Lions tour. I think Gatland's coaching suits him. It'll be interesting to see how he goes if he's selected again. There's probably a spot up for grabs with Kruis heading to Japan. I'm not sure we'll see the best of him alongside Ryan. There's something a bit missing from that partnership imo. I don't think they complement each other very well.

You really rate Stockdale. A lot of people wouldn't have him in their Ireland 23 with Lowe qualifying.

Sexton is probably better than Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You really rate Stockdale. A lot of people wouldn't have him in their Ireland 23 with Lowe qualifying.

A lot of people really rate Stockdale and a lot of people would have him in their starting XV, never mind 23.

Lowe has it ALL to prove at test level.

bilston wrote: »
    A lot of people really rate Stockdale and a lot of people would have him in their starting XV, never mind 23.

Lowe has it ALL to prove at test level.

I rate Stockdale and I'd have him in the starting 15 with Larmour at fullback and Lowe on the wing.

I'd generally echo your sentiment regarding the step up to International level but I don't think Lowe has anything to prove. I'm more wondering if International rugby is ready for him!

He has stood out in a Leinster team that often enough is more international than not, he is going to be huge for Ireland provided he stays fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The biggest worry for Lowe I feel is structure. Ireland still play a very structured game and Lowe does seem to do a lot "off the cuff" so to speak.
    His leinster team mates seem to get this and generally seem to have a hold on this.
    Ireland? I'm not so sure.
    Don't get me wrong I would be thrilled to see him in green but the international games could be a different fit completely for him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

1. Porter
    2. Kelleher
    4. Baird
    5. Ahern*
    6. Baird
    8. Doris
    9. Casey
    10. H. Byrne
    11. Lowe or Larmour
    12. um..?
    13. S. Moore

No place for Mbonambi? Deservedly ousted Marx on the way to winning the World cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'd have Healy in there. Definitely think he is still at that level. Better than Marler. I'd take Otere Black and Sexton over Anscombe and Ford. Also think Mark Telea is playing better rugby than Reece at the moment.

I'm drawing a complete on O'Connor. Who is that?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'd have Healy in there. Definitely think he is still at that level. Better than Marler. I'd take Otere Black and Sexton over Anscombe and Ford. Also think Mark Telea is playing better rugby than Reece at the moment.

I'm drawing a complete on O'Connor. Who is that?

I think he actually means James O Connor... Eek

Theres loads to pick at in that list.

I'd even question sotutu, as well as he has been playing lately. He has the grand total of 11 blues caps, and only 10 Auckland caps as well. No test level experience.
    So someone with 21 senior pro caps is one of the top 5 best number eights in the world?? Maybe to come, but not yet.

And slippy le roux at 15? God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Distinct lack of French players in that list too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No Ringrose either? one of our true world class players.... but JO'C gets a spot... sorry but that's funny haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think he actually means James O Connor... Eek

Theres loads to pick at in that list.

I'd even question sotutu, as well as he has been playing lately. He has the grand total of 11 blues caps, and only 10 Auckland caps as well. No test level experience.
    So someone with 21 senior pro caps is one of the top 5 best number eights in the world?? Maybe to come, but not yet.

And slippy le roux at 15? God help us.

Don't you pick on Sotutu just because he plays for the Blues who absolutely demolished your Highlanders at the weekend!! :mad::mad::D

I certainly don't think he is one of the best 8s in the world but he is the in-form 8. Obviously it helps that no one else is playing rugby at the moment.

Good point about Le Roux. He is very average these days. Piutau would be ahead of him.

James O'Connor?? Is he still playing? Also is he the only Aussie on the list?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement