Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose's performances over the last few years would merit inclusion over Davies, I think. The former had the pedigree and has been such a great performer for almost a decade however.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Elliot Daly or Barry Daly on the wing?

Elliot is really more a full back these days with better 11s around, and Barry Daly is not the fifth best 11 in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    James O'Connor?? Is he still playing? Also is he the only Aussie on the list?

Kerevi and Beale as well. Korobeite probably deserves a mention.

For France, I think Teddy Thomas gets in there. France have obviously gone with youth recently, but I'd still have Machenaud ahead of Serin too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Don't you pick on Sotutu just because he plays for the Blues who absolutely demolished your Highlanders at the weekend!! :mad::mad::D

I certainly don't think he is one of the best 8s in the world but he is the in-form 8. Obviously it helps that no one else is playing rugby at the moment.

Good point about Le Roux. He is very average these days. Piutau would be ahead of him.

James O'Connor?? Is he still playing? Also is he the only Aussie on the list?

beale and kerevi are there as well.....

some markable inclusions / exclusion for me

inclusions
    1. RG Snyman is not one of the top 5 locks in the world. hes one of the biggest and most powerful, but he aint one of the best. Hes never actually held down a lock shirt with SA......... just 8 starts in 23 caps.....

2. Le Roux. hasnt been a world class player since 2014, and for a test level full back is prone to high level gaffs.

3. I assume the steyn at 12 is frans you might argue up until he left the sharks in 2015 he was a top 5 contender... but today?? nah, nowhere near. hes a useful 22 shirt because of the position he covers and the power of his boot.

exclusions
    1. i think there should be a place for vill mata in there... possibly in place of sotutu (sorry YR!). Hes a shining light in the way edinburgh play and with fiji he also gets stuck in to do the dirty work that some of his looser forwards are pooer at. Pro14 players player of the season in 18/19 as well.

2. etzebeth over any of de jagger, snyman, nakarawa or tuipolotu . Hes a guy who can dominate a game, and has the rugby skills to match.

3. any of Malhebre, Alaalatoa or Lualala ahead of charlie faumuina. Charlie may have been in the mix 5 years ago, but no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    beale and kerevi are there as well.....

some markable inclusions / exclusion for me

inclusions
    1. RG Snyman is not one of the top 5 locks in the world. hes one of the biggest and most powerful, but he aint one of the best. Hes never actually held down a lock shirt with SA......... just 8 starts in 23 caps.....

2. Le Roux. hasnt been a world class player since 2014, and for a test level full back is prone to high level gaffs.

3. I assume the steyn at 12 is frans you might argue up until he left the sharks in 2015 he was a top 5 contender... but today?? nah, nowhere near. hes a useful 22 shirt because of the position he covers and the power of his boot.

exclusions
    1. i think there should be a place for vill mata in there... possibly in place of sotutu (sorry YR!). Hes a shining light in the way edinburgh play and with fiji he also gets stuck in to do the dirty work that some of his looser forwards are pooer at. Pro14 players player of the season in 18/19 as well.

2. etzebeth over any of de jagger, snyman, nakarawa or tuipolotu . Hes a guy who can dominate a game, and has the rugby skills to match.

3. any of Malhebre, Alaalatoa or Lualala ahead of charlie faumuina. Charlie may have been in the mix 5 years ago, but no longer.

Whoops. Completely missed Kerevi and Beale. Never rated Beale that highly. Too inconsistent and never settled on a position. Like James O'Connor. Both could be brilliant but could be awful or absent in a match as well.

Definitely wouldn't rate Steyn any more. Good call on Mata. Can't believe I missed that Etzebeth wasn't there!! Him and Retallick would be the starters in a World XV. And you are right about Big Charlie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Completely missed Etzebeth as well. Hooper another notable omission. You'd have an extremely good 15 of omissions, I feel. Damien McKenzie as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

1. I probably would have Healy in there but that could be green tinted.

2. Chat doesn’t even start for France. And the World Cup winning starting hooker isn’t in top 5?

4. I can only assume Etzebeth was forgotten.

7. Hooper is in there for me all day long. Incredible player. I don’t think Cane is no1. Also, for me, Kolisi is slightly overrated because of his story. Was great in that series against France a few summers ago but for me he’s not in top 5.

8. An argument for Coetzee somewhere at 8, but probably doesn’t play enough to warrant a spot.

Backs - definitely wouldn’t have Hodge. Koribete in there. Ringrose for JO’C.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Backs - definitely wouldn’t have Hodge. Koribete in there.

i think he means Sevu Reece and not Reece Hodge, at least i hope to god he does....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think there was a provisional deadline of end of last month/yesterday for World Rugby global calendar. Does anyone know the latest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think there was a provisional deadline of end of last month/yesterday for World Rugby global calendar. Does anyone know the latest?

It's dead in the water. For the time being anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Saw a post somewhere recently with some results from the iris(Irish rugby injury surveillance) study in 2018 that said injuries in irish rugby schools were as high as the English premiership which is pro league with highest rate of injury in pro rugby.
    Thoughts?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Saw a post somewhere recently with some results from the iris(Irish rugby injury surveillance) study in 2018 that said injuries in irish rugby schools were as high as the English premiership which is pro league with highest rate of injury in pro rugby.
    Thoughts?

Just the number of injuries or did it specify the type and seriousness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Thoughts?

Schools players will pull themselves with injuries and attend physiotherapy for very small, insignificant things in my experience. A lot of schools players especially in their earlier years wouldn't know the difference between being hurt, and being injured. You can be sore and not injured.

A pro English team with round the clock medical checks will be pulling players for various strains and tears as well as players presenting with problems in an incredibly abrasive league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Schools players will pull themselves with injuries and attend physiotherapy for very small, insignificant things in my experience.

Yeah I remember this from my school days, it was laughable the amount of times you'd see a bloke on crutches or have a bandage on his head when there was absolutely no need. All to get attention of the ladies.

This was nearly 20 years ago so I can imagine with the advent of social media this has only gotten worse #rugbyinjury #physio #lookatmegirls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Schools players will pull themselves with injuries and attend physiotherapy for very small, insignificant things in my experience. A lot of schools players especially in their earlier years wouldn't know the difference between being hurt, and being injured. You can be sore and not injured.

A pro English team with round the clock medical checks will be pulling players for various strains and tears as well as players presenting with problems in an incredibly abrasive league.

I would have said the exact opposite, especially with the cost of physios.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

One of the things that has happened in Ireland in the last couple of years at Youth and Schools level is a much increased level of reporting on injuries.

In previous years there was a paper form to be printed and filled out for every injury and then posted to the IRFU. So people really only used it for notable serious injuries

2 Seasons ago , that became an online form , making it a 2 minute job to submit an injury report. Given the fear of litigation in schools in particular I'd say schools coaches have been told to log everything.

I'd say that , along with increased focus on reporting from the IRFU has driven the appearance of an increase more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    One of the things that has happened in Ireland in the last couple of years at Youth and Schools level is a much increased level of reporting on injuries.

In previous years there was a paper form to be printed and filled out for every injury and then posted to the IRFU. So people really only used it for notable serious injuries

2 Seasons ago , that became an online form , making it a 2 minute job to submit an injury report. Given the fear of litigation in schools in particular I'd say schools coaches have been told to log everything.

I'd say that , along with increased focus on reporting from the IRFU has driven the appearance of an increase more than anything else.
    next step in that is to get far more schools teams to have team sheets with player Ids etx to assist in monitoring injuries, player games etc
    Refs are logging injuries as well more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good move for Barrett. Get paid bucket loads, play a shorter season for two years before returning for 2023.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

next step in that is to get far more schools teams to have team sheets with player Ids etx to assist in monitoring injuries, player games etc
    Refs are logging injuries as well more.

Absolutely - This is a must for many many reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Interesting. He had a 1 season sabbatical in his contract but perhaps the current situation has meant they were more than happy to extend it.

Playing 2 seasons in Japan is like half a season in a European league (no disrespect to the Japanese, more a reflection of the length of season and style of play).

How does that compare to the money in NZ?

Triple ,Quadruple his current salary?

How does that compare to the money in NZ?

Triple ,Quadruple his current salary?

Supposedly only 1.5x.

hahashake wrote: »
    Supposedly only 1.5x.

I didn't think anyone was on that kind of salary in NZ.

Maybe getting to that level with Sponsorship and the like , but not core salary..

Worth the money either way though..

I didn't think anyone was on that kind of salary in NZ.

Maybe getting to that level with Sponsorship and the like , but not core salary..

Worth the money either way though..

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugbys-rich-list-the-worlds-highest-paid-players-in-2020/

Basing it on this. Even with this new contract he is behind Itoje, Piutau and Pollard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jesus is playing for the Blues that awful that he's skipping the country after 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ah FFS!!! Just when things were looking up for the Blues. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Jesus is playing for the Blues that awful that he's skipping the country after 6 months?

We can look forward to a few miracle games then................:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    We can look forward to a few miracle games then................:D

He's playing for Southbridge this weekend.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He's only going for one season (his contracted sabbatical year) and will only miss next seasons Super Rugby. He'll be available for international rugby in 2021 after the Japanese season is over.

https://t.co/PlBFepau6G

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement