Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Super Rugby Aotearoa cancellled due to Covid19 resurgence :https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/423570/covid-19-cancels-super-rugby-aotearoa-finale

The Crusaders were just looking for an excuse to avoid getting humiliated by the Blues at the Garden. It was going to be a 50 point thrashing!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

aloooof wrote: »
    I'll see your Finishers and raise you System players. Hmmm.

https://twitter.com/CharlieFelix/status/1294232327112056832

Ugh, I have nothing more than that. Just ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lyon now reported a small cluster, a bit non specific on whether it's players or staff from what I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Lyon now reported a small cluster, a bit non specific on whether it's players or staff from what I can make out.

I wonder what the odds are of Ulster making it to Toulouse in mid September. I'm less and less confident of the Champions Cup being completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    I wonder what the odds are of Ulster making it to Toulouse in mid September. I'm less and less confident of the Champions Cup being completed.

I think they’ll muddle through this years in a bid to save some rights money but I’d say next season’s must be a real doubt, next years will be a logistical mess and between that and the fixture pile up I can see that going by the wayside.

• Advertisement

That's a big number 6 months into this

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1294694634531123200?s=19

I must check out the comparable figures in the UK.

I think some European countries are probably working on a policy of "acceptable losses" at this stage. I mean the UK is rapidly getting back to normal, yet there was a day last week where over 100 people died from Covid. Yet I don't seem a clamour to go back to a stricter lockdown. When it does happen in localised areas there seems to be a large amount of opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I must check out the comparable figures in the UK.

I think some European countries are probably working on a policy of "acceptable losses" at this stage. I mean the UK is rapidly getting back to normal, yet there was a day last week where over 100 people died from Covid. Yet I don't seem a clamour to go back to a stricter lockdown. When it does happen in localised areas there seems to be a large amount of opposition.

The numbers here seem to be kept very hush (surprise surprise). I get the Irish numbers daily by either catching them on the radio for the previous day or scrolling through twitter but haven't seen any UK numbers in ages despite also listening to BBC 2 and following a few British news sites on twitter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lads, this is the rugby thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Hey let's leave the Covid chat to off topic.

I know the above was related to a question but if possible can we leave all that out of the rugby chats as much as possible. And especially can we leave the commentary of the situation to off topic (I understand they will entangle at times)

• Advertisement

Hey let's leave the Covid chat to off topic.

I know the above was related to a question but if possible can we leave all that out of the rugby chats as much as possible. And especially can we leave the commentary of the situation to off topic (I understand they will entangle at times)

The current situation in several countries is going to have a major impact on rugby in the very near future. European cup and 6n/AIs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If Ulster do go to Toulouse to play, would they have to quarantine in their return? (Apologies if too Covid-y. But presumably then those players wouldn't be available for a fortnight afterwards?)

If Ulster do go to Toulouse to play, would they have to quarantine in their return? (Apologies if too Covid-y. But presumably then those players wouldn't be available for a fortnight afterwards?)

Pro soccer seems to have special systems in place I’d presume other sports have too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

salmocab wrote: »
    Pro soccer seems to have special systems in place I’d presume other sports have too

All the Champions League games are being played in Lisbon.

salmocab wrote: »

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Synode wrote: »

Real Madrid and LASK from Austria travelled to Manchester last week without quarantining. All last 16 second leg ties were played in the clubs grounds.

While the CL games are in Portugal, and the EL games are in Germany, none of the teams had to quarantine.

Smaller clubs (including Irish clubs) are travelling around Europe for the early rounds of this seasons CL and EL. UEFA have special Covid regulations in place and I'd fully expect rugby authorities to do similar.

Synode wrote: »

Yeah but there have been plenty of other games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If you've a good testing regime in place then there's no need for quarantining

Don't think the 14 day quarantine applies to professional sports people in the UK, which presumably Ulster would fall under? Not sure if it's different in the Republic?

• Advertisement

Lesions to the lung are potentially a life long affliction heavily impacting athletic performance.

If clubs are not taking precautions seriously and not adhering to best advise they are going to end up with huge liabilities. Given the recent images of Stade Francais on a training camp I suspect they could already be in legal trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

was reading the other day about a MLB player who, after fully recovering from the virus itself, was unable to throw more than a couple of dozen pitches without being completely exhausted and having to stop training. a bad case easily could become career threatening, with the relaunch of all of these leagues the medical teams will have to be incredibly vigilant.

Jamie Roberts has reportedly tested positive .

Lesions to the lung are potentially a life long affliction heavily impacting athletic performance.

If clubs are not taking precautions seriously and not adhering to best advise they are going to end up with huge liabilities. Given the recent images of Stade Francais on a training camp I suspect they could already be in legal trouble.

The one thing that scares me personally about covid19 is we do not know the long term impact it can have on your respiratory system if you contract it. I know one person who was hospitalised in Late April and has been barely able to walk 2km lately. She ran the marathon last October in under 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Jamie Roberts has reportedly tested positive .

that’s surely the Dragons first game off then? reportedly trained with the squad and had been socializing with his former Cardiff Blues teammates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The one thing that scares me personally about covid19 is we do not know the long term impact it can have on your respiratory system if you contract it. I know one person who was hospitalised in Late April and has been barely able to walk 2km lately. She ran the marathon last October in under 4 hours.

Exactly. Not even a year since first case so still very early days to tell long term impact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

that’s surely the Dragons first game off then? reportedly trained with the squad and had been socializing with his former Cardiff Blues teammates too.

As I posted in the Pro14 thread. The squad got tested again on Tuesday, with results expected yesterday. Unless there were more cases, the match was to do ahead. I haven't heard anything about more cases, so I'd guess that the game is on.

And I doubt there's many players left at the Blues since he was there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see JP Doyle has been let go by the RFU as a senior referee.

Sad, I think he was one of the better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I see JP Doyle has been let go by the RFU as a senior referee.

Sad, I think he was one of the better ones.

Start of the cutbacks?
    IRFU would do well to offer him a job.Standard of reffing in this country not as good as it once was.
    Use the players salary cut and all:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement