Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bernard Laporte placed in police custody over alleged dodgy financial links to Mohed Altrad who owns Montpellier.

This doesn't read well for Laporte or French rugby.
    Hopefully he is innocent.
    Looks like another civil war erupting in French rugby.
    Laporte’s questioning comes just two weeks before he faces a bid to regain the presidency against, Florian Grill, and risks disrupting the final stage of his re-election campaign.
    https://www.the42.ie/rugby/

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In the grand scheme of things I would have thought that ticket sales would represent only a small portion of a clubs income.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Rugby in general is in big trouble , hard to see significant crowds coming back in Ireland any time soon either.

Soccer probably has enough money in the system to survive a season without Crowds , but Rugby just doesn't.

Not sure what happens , but Pro Rugby could look very very different in 6-12 months time if something doesn't change.

Agreed yet it seems more dire in England given that the IRFU was at least coming into this on fine financial footing whereas nearly every club was already loss making in the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

awec wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things I would have thought that ticket sales would represent only a small portion of a clubs income.

Would advertising revenue be tied in part to stadium attendance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Combo of ticket sales, hospitality stuff like tours and then concessions as well, wouldn't be massive percentages but in the likes of the GP where the teams were struggling budget wise anyways and needing digouts from the owners each season it'd be huge.

I'd imagine the IRFU are in a much better position financially than the RFU, they'd big profits last year and sold the newlands land, so not sure if Browne's just trying to play the woe is us card or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Vice President of FFR, and the director of the organisation committee for the 2023 RWC are in custody as well.....
    I wonder where they got all the money to buy host their 2023 World Cup :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've just read a tweet by Sonja McLaughan who states that Exeter, a very well run club, are losing 1M Sterling in revenue a month. This cash is generated by sales to fans attending Sandy Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'd imagine the IRFU are in a much better position financially than the RFU, they'd big profits last year and sold the newlands land, so not sure if Browne's just trying to play the woe is us card or not.

IRFU bought their offices in Lansdowne Road. That money has more or less been spent now with no crowds at Ireland games plus no ST sold. Players took 10% cut and 10% deferral. Staff are on 4 Day week but it's a plaster on a broken bone scenario.

I think the UK situation will likely be mirrored here pretty much regarding restrictions. IRFU had spoken of moving games to UK if criwds were allowed but that's pointless now.

I think we may either lose a province for a few seasons to cut costs, or see one go into private ownership if possible. ST would be roughly 30000 in number? X 250 euro is €7.5m. Gone.

Ireland 2020 games is another €15-20m gone.

Leinster sell 12000 ST. ~€250 a pop equates to €3m.

They have missed out on 2 or 3 ~full houses in Aviva. Thats another €2-3m.

Full house in RDS in pro14 SF is 19000 x ~€40 is €750k

Match day revenue is huge.

That's €6m gone. Probably closer to €7m

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Splitting hairs here but 250 a pop on season tickets isn't correct. They run from ~300 to 650 per ticket. The Anglesea Terrace is the less expensive end which is a very small section. I'd say the mean is somewhere around 400/425 at a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You’ve also missed all the match tickets sold that aren’t STs in the RDS quite a small number for some games but a lot of full enough days too.

Splitting hairs here but 250 a pop on season tickets isn't correct. They run from ~300 to 650 per ticket. The Anglesea Terrace is the less expensive end which is a very small section. I'd say the mean is somewhere around 400/425 at a guess.

So that's another 1m lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

On the Flip side though, No match day costs for the RDS.

Revenue from ticket sales isnt the full wack of the ticket price.
    Its ticket price - costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

Tomtom364 wrote: »

Indeed but ticket sales are not the only sales generated.

Tomtom364 wrote: »

Of course that expenditure is down but the biggest expense by far is players salaries.

Of course that expenditure is down but the biggest expense by far is players salaries.

You would also be concerned for the knock-on effect on the IRFU itself into provinces from that perspective over the longer term.

If the IRFU have to shed a few central contracts given the financial hammering they're getting, and some central contracts get punted back down to the provinces, it could have an enormous effect on the playerbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Season tickets alone would be about €4,500,000 a year for Leinster. Add in the Munster game at home and quarters for the Europeans and the league. Plus the rest of the match tickets through the season. You are probably talking at least €9,000,000 per year for Leinster..

Qantas pulling sponsorship of RA

No surprise given current situation.

Qantas pulling sponsorship of RA

No surprise given current situation.

That’s going to be an issue too for clubs all over, paired with nonexistent gates it’s going to be a long season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

salmocab wrote: »
    That’s going to be an issue too for clubs all over, paired with nonexistent gates it’s going to be a long season.

To be fair, I think the issue there was more on Qantas side.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    To be fair, I think the issue there was more on Qantas side.

Yeah I know, sponsors will be looking to save money and sponsorship will be looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Must say i'm happy Howley is back in rugby and been given a chance by Canada.
    https://www.the42.ie/rob-howley-handed-chance-to-rebuild-coaching-career-with-canada-5212585-Sep2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's quite indicative that Quade Cooper is choosing a medium that restricts him to 280 characters to divulge his most cerebral thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

he’s already walked it back anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Jack Nowell dipping his toe into epidemiology...

https://twitter.com/nowellsy15/status/1308776550997938176

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

aloooof wrote: »
    Jack Nowell dipping his toe into epidemiology...

https://twitter.com/nowellsy15/status/1308776550997938176

Good example of how scrum caps don't prevent CTE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's going to be a very concerning time for rugby. If they can't get people through the gate, the GP teams are going to be in serious difficulty and will have to cut their cloth accordingly. I can see this having detrimental and permanent effects on the game.

Some teams are going to need to be bailed out by next season unless there's a reduction in their operating costs or a change to the current outlook. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that some of the more overstretched could be at risk of becoming another Orrell or Richmond.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Buer wrote: »
    It's going to be a very concerning time for rugby. If they can't get people through the gate, the GP teams are going to be in serious difficulty and will have to cut their cloth accordingly. I can see this having detrimental and permanent effects on the game.

Some teams are going to need to be bailed out by next season unless there's a reduction in their operating costs or a change to the current outlook. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that some of the more overstretched could be at risk of becoming another Orrell or Richmond.

I'd happily pay per match for a good quality streaming service. It feels like now would be a good time for the Pro 14 to make the move, but I assume TV rights have already been signed away long into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Nigel Owens is set to become the first person to take charge of 100 tests when the Welshman referees France versus Italy in the Autumn Nations Cup in November.

The Rugby World Cup 2015 final referee will take charge of two matches in the new competition to reach the milestone, 17 years after his test debut in February 2003 when he was in the middle for Portugal versus Georgia.

Meanwhile, Ireland’s Joy Neville, the Rugby World Cup 2017 final referee will also make history, as the first female to perform Television Match Official duties in a major men's international competition when Wales face Georgia and Scotland take on Fiji in the same competition, having impressed in recent elite club rugby competitions.

Frank Murphy, Brian McNeice(TMO), Andy Brace also set to run out next month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement