Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

dregin wrote: »
    I'd happily pay per match for a good quality streaming service. It feels like now would be a good time for the Pro 14 to make the move, but I assume TV rights have already been signed away long into the future.

I think this we're going into the third season of a three season deal. So they're be up for renegotiation at the worst possible time for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

dregin wrote: »
    I'd happily pay per match for a good quality streaming service. It feels like now would be a good time for the Pro 14 to make the move, but I assume TV rights have already been signed away long into the future.

Actually had a discussion with a mate the other day about the price point you’d pay for watching a match, after paying a tenner for a now tv day pass for the Leinster game (hindsight not the best 10 I’ve ever spent) it’s different this year as no crowds but generally at every home game and go to the pub for the bigger away games.
    So how much would you pay for Individual matches, big European game a tenner is grand but not sure I’d pay much for an Italian team away.
    In an ideal (assuming it’s not all FTA) world I’d pay a yearly subscription for pro 14, Europe and international games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

salmocab wrote: »
    Actually had a discussion with a mate the other day about the price point you’d pay for watching a match, after paying a tenner for a now tv day pass for the Leinster game (hindsight not the best 10 I’ve ever spent) it’s different this year as no crowds but generally at every home game and go to the pub for the bigger away games.
    So how much would you pay for Individual matches, big European game a tenner is grand but not sure I’d pay much for an Italian team away.
    In an ideal (assuming it’s not all FTA) world I’d pay a yearly subscription for pro 14, Europe and international games.

On of the (few) good things about the Disney+ bundle in the US, is the inclusion of ESPN+. It has all the Pro 14 and Super Rugby

On of the (few) good things about the Disney+ bundle in the US, is the inclusion of ESPN+. It has all the Pro 14 and Super Rugby

I think we’re in a transition about how we get our tv viewing and hopefully someone comes up with a reasonable way to watch sport without having multiple subs for just one sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Havnt the pro14 got a direct online streaming service for all matches live (and saved) in countries without a TV deal.

No reason this couldn't be expanded with the TV contracts ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

salmocab wrote: »
    I think we’re in a transition about how we get our tv viewing and hopefully someone comes up with a reasonable way to watch sport without having multiple subs for just one sport.

Agree, thankfully it's never difficult to find a quality stream online. I don't understand why major sports are so antiquated in how they leverage online streaming, there's obvious demand for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is Netflix too obvious a comparison? There are probably quite a few differences (that I haven't put any effort into considering) but if the price point was similar, I'd hope it'd do well. A decent chunk of the numbers who go the illegal stream route might sign up just for the convenience?

I've little interest in other sports, so a rugby only package / streaming service would be ideal for me.

aloooof wrote: »
    Is Netflix too obvious a comparison? There are probably quite a few differences (that I haven't put any effort into considering) but if the price point was similar, I'd hope it'd do well. A decent chunk of the numbers who go the illegal stream route might sign up just for the convenience?

I've little interest in other sports, so a rugby only package / streaming service would be ideal for me.

I think the nfl pass is the standard, some mates use it, it even does highlights of all games with all stoppages taken out so you can whip through a full game quite quickly. Obviously that’s just one league whereas really we’d like it across different comps and international too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

NFL Gamepass doesn’t show the 6pm and 9pm games on Sky Sports and it’s domestic equivalent, NFL Sunday Ticket - which is only available to DirectTV subscribers- doesn’t show any games which are on TV locally. It’s not really for the causal fan, it’s a “hardcore fan” package for the person who doesn’t want to miss a thing.

I don’t think there’s any major professional sports league relying on a direct to consumer model as its primary broadcast outlet in its own home market. It never attracts as much revenue and comes with way more risks, whereas a traditional rights sale you get a nice cheque and don’t need to worry about pesky things like actually having to produce a broadcast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, signed up for STB a few weeks back....eir sport, BT sure even Sky Atlantic.

Seriously considering ditching our Virgin bundle and just getting broadband as STB covers all the channels across sport entertainment and movies.

€35 for 12 months IPTV
    €12 for lifetime STB access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

OldRio wrote: »

That's terrible news and could result in a huge number of clubs going under. I know from being involved in the administration of a small club here that some costs don't go away - Any club carrying debt from building a clubhouse/pitch etc. will be hard pushed to meet those costs without memberships and sponsorship.

Is this unique to Rugby in England or are other team sports like Soccer etc. also stopping?

It seems it was an RFU decision other grassroots sports are still being played. EG Soccer.

Also the disconnect between the RFU and the Premiership is still growing.

https://twitter.com/chrisjonespress/status/1309270050063474690?s=20

The above might not matter this year, lets face it, a good pitch with adequate facilities would do. But going forward their are plenty of alternatives in England rather than Twickenham.
    I also read Gloucester have serious financial difficulties and are looking for a bailout by their government.

I know the IRFU are not perfect but the professional model we followed all those years ago was genius.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There's no mini rugby been played in Ireland under the IRFU until after Christmas, even though gaa and soccer have started back full blast.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    There's no mini rugby been played in Ireland under the IRFU until after Christmas, even though gaa and soccer have started back full blast.

GAA has started back but no games since we went to level three and training is pod based with no contact at all.

I don't see the numbers coming down so I expect this to be as good as it gets until Christmas and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to fully stop again within the next few weeks. It's going to be a long winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

IRFU met with Sport Ireland yesterday to get details on the Level 3 rules for Dublin (and now Donegal also).

Senior rugby is deemed to include the Provincial Leagues - so Leinster League 1a to 3 will all be able to proceed - for now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's terrible news and could result in a huge number of clubs going under. I know from being involved in the administration of a small club here that some costs don't go away - Any club carrying debt from building a clubhouse/pitch etc. will be hard pushed to meet those costs without memberships and sponsorship.

Is this unique to Rugby in England or are other team sports like Soccer etc. also stopping?

I think the National League football clubs (Tier 5 and below) are still debating whether to play or not. They do have the advantage of the EPL being able to filter millions down the pyramid. Rugby doesn't have that luxury.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The typical "blitz" format for mini-rugby really doesn't work in the current environment unfortunately

50 or 60 kids from a half a dozen clubs all playing each other over a few hours on a Sunday morning doesn't really work .

I'd see no problem in 1 club travelling to another to play , but it might mean the same two teams playing each other 3 or 4 times on the day to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

My wee lad's at mini-rugby in Belfast - just started back last weekend.

Training and skills only up to Christmas; no matches. I don't think there's tackling either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

OldRio wrote: »
    I know the IRFU are not perfect but the professional model we followed all those years ago was genius.

IRFU model has many positives but it won't matter a damn financially in the next 6 month's.

The amount of money lost to the 4 provinces in ST sales and gate receipts, on top of the loss of 4 Ireland home games gate receipts this year is somewhere in the region of €30,000,000.

If we have Empty 6n stadiums next Spring is another €10-12m loss of revenue.

Govt money is available but that will be a short term, once off perhaps. The threat to pro rugby here is Just as big as it is in England IMO. Unless the IRFU go down the Road of borrowing. Which is a dangerous path if you dont know when exactly crowds will return

Delighted to see Gareth Evans on the bench today for hawkes Bay after suffering a horror ankle injury back in June.
    I was a worried it could have been a career ender

Jason rutledge came off the bench today to play 22 mins as hooker for southland as they won 11-10 over North harbour.

What was notable about this??

He was born in 1977

He broke a 112 year record to become the oldest southland player

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jason rutledge came off the bench today to play 22 mins as hooker for southland as they won 11-10 over North harbour.

What was notable about this??

He was born in 1977

He broke a 112 year record to become the oldest southland player

I’ll have to show the wife this and tell her it is possible especially when I’m almost 10 years younger.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I’ll have to show the wife this and tell her it is possible especially when I’m almost 10 years younger.

He's still younger than me :D

I'm broke up running around coaching the 12s this morning, so no hope of a miraculous return for me alas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He's still younger than me :D

I'm broke up running around coaching the 12s this morning, so no hope of a miraculous return for me alas

I played till I was 46, probably still be playing if it wasn’t for the heart attack. Playing at that level though at 43 is miraculous.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I played till I was 46, probably still be playing if it wasn’t for the heart attack. Playing at that level though at 43 is miraculous.

Well I'm 43 now and feel I could do a job at that level, not a good job obviously but I was never any good to start with.

sean o brien missing again from the upcoming London irish game.

that means hes only played 50 mins in 1 of 8 games since the restart.
    Les Kiss says its a small hamstring injury, and hes close to 100%.

so maybe they are just drawing 2 lines under this season and giving the younger lads a run out getting ready for next season (starting end of november).

seanie isnt getting any younger, so hopefully he has a long injury free season coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement

happy days.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement