Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Adam Hastings to Gloucester.

Two big blows for Scottish domestic rugby. Maybe I’m naive but where is the money from the SRU going? They only have 2 club teams as opposed to Ireland having 4, they pack out Murrayfield just as much as Ireland do the Aviva every year, and that’s where the IRFU make most of their money.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

very good interview on the latest rugby pod with solicitor Tim O Connor in relation to the whole concussion issue.

one main point was that a lot of these cases are from a period before 2003 - 2007 before an awful lot more was known about concussion, cte and the preparation of policies in relations to it.

negligance, duty of care etc has to be shown... and one question is who owns the duty of care.

he mentioned Damien Brownes ongoing case, and Cudmores case

he also mentioned the limitations issue as well, which could cause problems for the litigants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cipriani leaving Glaws immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Burkie1203 wrote: »

explains the Hastings signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wheres he off to ?

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Wheres he off to ?

Reckon super rugby or Japan maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Adam Hastings to Gloucester.

Two big blows for Scottish domestic rugby. Maybe I’m naive but where is the money from the SRU going? They only have 2 club teams as opposed to Ireland having 4, they pack out Murrayfield just as much as Ireland do the Aviva every year, and that’s where the IRFU make most of their money.
    The SRU and their ridiculous salaries!

Cockerill has already said he's doing a clear out at Edinburgh at the end of this season, could see a few more go. There was chat that Glaws were looking at van der Walt but that might have been a smokescreen.

Reckon super rugby or Japan maybe
    Might get a bit of cash in the US League too.
    I've seen Glasgow fans getting excited he'd replace Hastings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Are they doing baseline scans for players, to facilitate future comparisons?

I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rugby Europe announced the dates of Mens Championship for 2021
    2021 and 2022 Rugby Europe Championships offer two direct qualification places for the top two teams in March 2022, with the third-best team going to the final global qualification repechage tournament.

After consultation with the participating Unions and decision from Rugby Europe Board of Directors, the schedule will be as follows:

round 5 from last years competition is on February 6th/7th before last placed side fces Netherlands in promotion/relegation playoff 2 weeks later.

The five rounds of Rugby Europe Championship 2021 will be played from March 6th/7th and during the World Rugby international window in July 2021

So we'll have good idea who we will play in the summer.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Still no Sean o brien again for Irish.

I think he's only managed 80 mins so far since the restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Still no Sean o brien again for Irish.

I think he's only managed 80 mins so far since the restart.

Was this not, well, sort of predictable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Interesting on the Eggchasers podcast this week that apparently the IRFU are looking at Alfie Barberry at Wasps. They didn’t mention if he was Irish qualified or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Interesting on the Eggchasers podcast this week that apparently the IRFU are looking at Alfie Barberry at Wasps. They didn’t mention if he was Irish qualified or not.

He must be if they are looking at him. Was in the England training squad in November. Centre originally who moved to the back row 6/8 but seen as a hooker going forward.
    Where would he go Ulster or Connacht? 2 great prospects in Leinster with Sheehan and Kelleher and Tracy as the senior. Kob and Marshall are nailed on in Munster with Scannel to come back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

RFU reveal how championship will be structured.
    https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rfu-reveal-shortened-greene-king-ipa-championship-season-and-kick-off-date/

2 conferences starting in march before final to decide who is promoted to premiership

hope this happens, even if only to make the BT commentary team cry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Not a chance of this happening, he's English through and through and is in Eddie Jones's plans.. he'll be in the 6n squad, it's a non story tbh

Not a chance of this happening, he's English through and through and is in Eddie Jones's plans.. he'll be in the 6n squad, it's a non story tbh

i don’t think there’s much to it myself, but if i was a young English hooker with an Irish link i’d be eying up the prospects of getting by Jamie George and LCD vs um, Rob Herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

2 Premiership games over Christmas called off now due to COVID cases within squads.

just a thought inspired by another thread. given Covid is so bad in South Africa that it’s looking unlikely the the Lions tour will take place, should we be reasonably expecting a cancellation/postponement of the Six Nations again? half the participating teams are from an island with one of the worst covid outbreaks in the world, so frankly, is it safe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

just a thought inspired by another thread. given Covid is so bad in South Africa that it’s looking unlikely the the Lions tour will take place, should we be reasonably expecting a cancellation/postponement of the Six Nations again? half the participating teams are from an island with one of the worst covid outbreaks in the world, so frankly, is it safe?

If the Lions being cancelled is a possibility, I wonder would they consider moving the 6 Nations to the Summer, when there's a chance there might be crowds allowed back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

aloooof wrote: »
    If the Lions being cancelled is a possibility, I wonder would they consider moving the 6 Nations to the Summer, when there's a chance there might be crowds allowed back?

Probably be better to have the Saffers travel over and play the series in Ireland, England and Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Probably be better to have the Saffers travel over and play the series in Ireland, England and Wales?

Certainly misses a lot of the appeal of a Lions tour but much better than nothing. I highly doubt SA will even start vaccinating by then but hopefully Ireland and the UK will be heavily vaccinated by summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Responding to Andy Goode's pro-Brexit tweet today:

Screenshot_20201227-181855_Twitter.jpg

Responding to Andy Goode's pro-Brexit tweet today:

Screenshot_20201227-181855_Twitter.jpg

I don't think people should be making light of concussion.

I think Andy Goode is as much a moron as I've long suspected him to be.

The brexit the UK has agreed to and will have to live with is going to damage them consistently and increasingly for a long time to come and mostly I just feel sorry that the media climate there has created such an unhealthy political climate.

The victory lap brexit supporters are on (and Goode is part of that) is incredibly misguided but if they wish to sign up for fantasy and fiction they are free to do so.

as always, such media figures will be the last to feel the pain their ignorance causes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don't think people should be making light of concussion.

I think Andy Goode is as much a moron as I've long suspected him to be.

The brexit the UK has agreed to and will have to live with is going to damage them consistently and increasingly for a long time to come and mostly I just feel sorry that the media climate there has created such an unhealthy political climate.

The victory lap brexit supporters are on (and Goode is part of that) is incredibly misguided but if they wish to sign up for fantasy and fiction they are free to do so.

Off topic but after the first brexit vote a pal of mine was on the phone to a colleague in England and the English guy said this is what happens when you let the people who vote for Britain’s got talent vote for something important

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

https://punditarena.com/rugby/eoin-harte/olly-woodburn-exeter-overlooked-bbc-sports-awards/?fbclid=IwAR1F2V6_MBB9MV7Wc61KA3iU9lHrEj6a_jehawLB_ekENcPaEhu7UL8stXs

Poor Exeter, they're been doing great work to make themselves the new Saracens lately no need to make stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Their recent behaviour is much, much worse than anything Saracens ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Their recent behaviour is much, much worse than anything Saracens ever did.

So recently they have been cheating how exactly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement