Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pelezico wrote: »
    Why? They have invested heavily and played outstanding rugby over the last decade.

I think you've answered your own question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Launchbury(injury) and Marler(personal reasons) withdrawn from England's 6 nations squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Underhill out of England Six Nations squad with hip injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Some big absentees there. Although England beat our brains out in 2019 without Marler, Launchbury or Underhill.

Although they're already without Lawes and Tuilagi this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Buer wrote: »
    Some big absentees there. Although England beat our brains out in 2019 without Marler, Launchbury or Underhill.

Although they're already without Lawes and Tuilagi this time around.

Lawes is back in.

Tbh I don’t think this is the worst thing for England regarding Underhill. Allows Earl and Willis to get more game meaningful game time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Dominic McKay the chief operating office of Scottish rugby is to leave his post this summer to take over as Celtic chief exec

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

Anyone else see this absolute bonkers try in the French second tier?

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1354892732951617539?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

KayJay86 wrote: »
    Anyone else see this absolute bonkers try in the French second tier?

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1354892732951617539?s=20

Ha ha that's madness - two players trying to kick it out, tackled during the process, one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's also mad that both those teams were once European Cup finalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck switching codes in New Zealand before the next world cup..off to the Blues possibly as fullback or wing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dominic McKay the chief operating office of Scottish rugby is to leave his post this summer to take over as Celtic chief exec

Will be replaced by another suit that sill contribute the net sum of fúck all.
    But hey, young Redpath is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Talk of Lions playing SA in Australia. Not sure how it would work with quarantine and revenue for SA but if options were playing in empty stadiums or cancel it might be a shout. Kick off times would be an issue for broadcasters and fans of course too.

https://www.the42.ie/lions-australia-5340570-Jan2021/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Eod100 wrote: »
    Talk of Lions playing SA in Australia. Not sure how it would work with quarantine and revenue for SA but if options were playing in empty stadiums or cancel it might be a shout. Kick off times would be an issue for broadcasters and fans of course too.

https://www.the42.ie/lions-australia-5340570-Jan2021/?utm_source=shortlink

No more of an issue than they are in 2/3rds of all Lions tours

Bazzo wrote: »
    No more of an issue than they are in 2/3rds of all Lions tours

True. Dunno was switching this years to Australia and SAs to next time out ever on the cards but if not this could actually be a decent shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck switching codes in New Zealand before the next world cup..off to the Blues possibly as fullback or wing?

Apparently they see him as a 12/13. Massive talent and will be taking a pay cut to come into Union (though he also played Union at an age grade level I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Teddy Thomas is leaving Racing in the summer. Incredible attacking threat. Would be an asset to any team.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1356225379678224384?s=09

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clegg wrote: »
    Teddy Thomas is leaving Racing in the summer. Incredible attacking threat. Would be an asset to any team.

Was certainly an asset to Leinster

28a0ca40bc9d199212e09d436ff5fcd3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Process to decide next world cup hosts after France in 2023 and womens world cup this year in NZ was announced by world rugby today

February 2021 – Dialogue Phase: An opportunity for open communication between World Rugby and unions, governments and other key stakeholders. This will allow potential hosts to understand the business and delivery model, how they will partner with World Rugby and ultimately build a compelling proposal.
    May 2021 – Candidate Phase: The formal process begins. Candidates will construct their proposals with World Rugby providing ongoing clarification and support to ensure the best-possible model. The phase culminates with candidates submitting Candidate files, hosting agreements and guarantees in January 2022.
    February 2022 – Evaluation Phase: Bids will be evaluated by relevant industry experts against the key criteria agreed by World Rugby Council. The evaluation report will be provided to Council for a vote in May 2022.

Wonder which countries will go forward this time. Where would people like next 2 competitions to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Process to decide next world cup hosts after France in 2023 and womens world cup this year in NZ was announced by world rugby today

February 2021 – Dialogue Phase: An opportunity for open communication between World Rugby and unions, governments and other key stakeholders. This will allow potential hosts to understand the business and delivery model, how they will partner with World Rugby and ultimately build a compelling proposal.
    May 2021 – Candidate Phase: The formal process begins. Candidates will construct their proposals with World Rugby providing ongoing clarification and support to ensure the best-possible model. The phase culminates with candidates submitting Candidate files, hosting agreements and guarantees in January 2022.
    February 2022 – Evaluation Phase: Bids will be evaluated by relevant industry experts against the key criteria agreed by World Rugby Council. The evaluation report will be provided to Council for a vote in May 2022.

Wonder which countries will go forward this time. Where would people like next 2 competitions to go?

Covid changes everything...not sure if they are bidding but I'd expect Australia to be an obvious choice for 2027.

Rugby needs the cash so I'd be surprised if World Rugby took a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bilston wrote: »
    Covid changes everything...not sure if they are bidding but I'd expect Australia to be an obvious choice for 2027.

I think Australia is a cert to get 2027 if they bid.

Before Covid hit, and under the assumption of Oz getting 27, I would have had USA/Canada for 2031.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Can't say I love that idea. How would it even work? One home pool game? I think it would give a lot of countries an edge. For me world cups (rugby and football) are always about all the fans packing into one country and mixing and having good times. Spreading the tournament around dilutes it a little in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PMC83 wrote: »
    Can't say I love that idea. How would it even work? One home pool game? I think it would give a lot of countries an edge. For me world cups (rugby and football) are always about all the fans packing into one country and mixing and having good times. Spreading the tournament around dilutes it a little in my book.
    Agreed. Even having to go to Cardiff in 2015 was annoying.

I wonder how we'd get around the security concerns again? :rolleyes:

Agreed. Even having to go to Cardiff in 2015 was annoying.

I wonder how we'd get around the security concerns again? :rolleyes:

Ok in the same breath I will admit I went to Cardiff in 2015 and had a blast!:D

BUT I just reckon spreading over four countries is too much, will feel like a bloated 6 nations

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

bilston wrote: »

If it's maximum money they want then South Africa is the SH option - Would get far more money for the TV rights given the timezones.

The 1st 2 RWCs were joint bids but get impression alright that 1 country would probably be preferred.

The 1st 2 RWCs were joint bids but get impression alright that 1 country would probably be preferred.

Way before my time unfortunately. TBh I'm prob still bitter Ireland didn't get to host it on their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don’t mind where it is so long as Wales get to play games in the millennium stadium as that’s almost tradition by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Like the 91 and 99 world cups. Each game in different country before knockouts all in one or maybe 2 countries.
    Attended a fair few games in 99. Not sure i agree with it now.
    Would much prefer the tournament spread out beyond Britain and Ireland.

Money concerns will mean World Rugby will keep it traditional but would love to see an American tournament. Play it in North East America and Canada or a joint bid between Argentina and Uruguay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement