Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Hate the idea of a World Cup spread across different countries.

Rugby really needs to expand its horizons in terms of host countries. I’m of the opinion they could host it almost anywhere and it would be a success. I mean Japan was a great success even taking into account the natural disaster.

The US, Argentina, Canada, Russia, Spain, Germany should all seriously be looked at .. and Italy? Have they ever applied to host? Surely they have the infrastructure etc to be just as successful as France as a host?

Although I’m sure it’ll be good craic, the thoughts of another World Cup in the UK with some Irish matches does not appeal to me at all. Get the WC final in the San Siro, Nou Camp, NY...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Hate the idea of a World Cup spread across different countries.

Rugby really needs to expand its horizons in terms of host countries. I’m of the opinion they could host it almost anywhere and it would be a success. I mean Japan was a great success even taking into account the natural disaster.

The US, Argentina, Canada, Russia, Spain, Germany should all seriously be looked at .. and Italy? Have they ever applied to host? Surely they have the infrastructure etc to be just as successful as France as a host?

Although I’m sure it’ll be good craic, the thoughts of another World Cup in the UK with some Irish matches does not appeal to me at all. Get the WC final in the San Siro, Nou Camp, NY...
    Italy looked to host both 15 and 19
    The sport does need to expand more. Will take time for that to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Expanding might be put on the back burner if the sport is struggling financially and/or otherwise in established markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Whats going on with this bid , The Times and off the ball saying it may happen and the examiner and other media reporting the IRFU are not involved

hahashake wrote: »
    Expanding might be put on the back burner if the sport is struggling financially and/or otherwise in established markets.
    It probably will but the sport will never really develop more if you dont expand and the places like US, South America can bring in revenues that can really help the established markets.
    roadmaster wrote: »
    Whats going on with this bid, The Times and off the ball saying it may happen and the examiner and other media reporting the IRFU are not involved
    World Rugby started bid process for these tournaments and some papers suggested a joint bid with ireland and few others could happen. We dont know and wont for few months yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

It probably will but the sport will never really develop more if you dont expand and the places like US, South America can bring in revenues that can really help the established markets.

World Rugby started bid process for these tournaments and some papers suggested a joint bid with ireland and few others could happen. We dont know and wont for few months yet

Hopefully a joint bid won't happen. We are more than capable of holding it ourselves. If we did it with the UK we would be lucky to get 3 or 4 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Our bid wasn't good enough. I doubt it will have substantially improved by 2031, or whenever they make the call on it. We weren't done some injustice in not having it here in 2023.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We weren't done some injustice in not having it here in 2023.

We weren't though it still grates a bit that they brought in the concept of the report with gradings, had questionable scoring in it, used that as the logic to go for France and then ditched that process for future bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

I thought World Rugby wanted 2023 to go to South Africa. All the scoring was done to facilitate that outcome (SA having a better security score than ourselves etc etc) but the Unions thought differently and France got the vote. Which obviously pissed off World Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I've always thought World Rugby should do more for the Islands. That's why I'm supporting the joint RWC 2027 bid from Faroe, Gibraltar and the Azores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I've always thought World Rugby should do more for the Islands. That's why I'm supporting the joint RWC 2027 bid from Faroe, Gibraltar and the Azores.

Gibraltar isn’t an island though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Gibraltar isn’t an island though.

I like the fact that world rugby actively supports diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PMC83 wrote: »
    Ok in the same breath I will admit I went to Cardiff in 2015 and had a blast!:D

BUT I just reckon spreading over four countries is too much, will feel like a bloated 6 nations

I had a great time in Cardiff. But the likes of that would have been better served in old Trafford or something. (I know Eastlands was used. But just thinking if a large enough stadium to replace the Principality)

But essentially, it would have been nice for Wales not to host any bloody games.

Surprised they didn't have their finger in the pie for 2019. :rolleyes:

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If it's maximum money they want then South Africa is the SH option - Would get far more money for the TV rights given the timezones.

I would be thinking that the ARU need the injection.

Not too long ago the sport was apparently dying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I had a great time in Cardiff. But the likes of that would have been better served in old Trafford or something. (I know Eastlands was used. But just thinking if a large enough stadium to replace the Principality)

But essentially, it would have been nice for Wales not to host any bloody games.

Surprised they didn't have their finger in the pie for 2019. :rolleyes:
    Old Trafford was originally supposed to host games, but Alex Ferguson vetoed it because of concerns about what rugby matches would do to the pitch. Then he retired two years before the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Ealing defeated Sarries again today 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

sioda wrote: »
    Ealing defeated Sarries again today ðŸ˜

Oh that's nice

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So funny if sarries didn't get promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I won't take those results seriously until the Saracens internationals are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

sioda wrote: »
    Ealing defeated Sarries again today ðŸ˜

Is that just a friendly?

Thought their league was starting in March and Ealing are in the opposite conference to Saracens no?

Edit: Trailfinders Challenge Cup
    It’s a pre-season friendly tournament between Doncaster, Ealing and Saracens.

• Advertisement

Is that just a friendly?

Thought their league was starting in March and Ealing are in the opposite conference to Saracens no?

Pre season competition between Ealing, Sarries and Doncaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Escaped my notice, but I've just seen JP Pietersen announced his retirement at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Brian Moore met Ewan McKenna for the first time. It didn't end well.

Ewan McKenna once again confirming about himself what absolutely everyone else knows to be true.

wid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He's an incredibly unpleasant individual

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The fact he's tweeting furiously about the Irish government and lockdowns and vaccinations, saying they're breaching his rights etc etc while he's half way across the world in Brazil and hasn't lived in Ireland for almost a decade just says it all.

I can't believe I read the whole thing.

What did I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I can't believe I read the whole thing.

What did I expect.
    If he was on boards, he wouldn't last a day before ending up on everyone's ignore list and banned from the rugby forum. All the troll type behaviours of moving the goalposts, erecting straw men, ad hominem attacks and reductio ad absurdum. Brian Moore (who used to be a regular contributor on the Planet Rugby forum as bcm666) has ample experience of dealing with trolls like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We can do without that name being dropped on the forum. He's just a ****poster at this point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement