Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Liam Williams yellow at the end does seem to be wrong on review.

awec wrote: »

I agree.

Williams makes the tackle initially, plays really well to get back around to his own side, releasing the tackled player as he does and regaining his feet. He is on feet when Dupont picks up the ball to play it, and the ball is out of the ruck.

Williams then legitimately dives, from an on-side possession, to tackle the player in possession (Dupont).

He may have knocked it on in the tackle but not deliberately.

Penalty given for "off feet" :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »

It's Liam Williams. He just deserves a yellow card anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Given he's retired from international refereeing as of December '20 he can say what he wants about it.

He is still a referee for inter provincial rugby.

Alun Wyn Jones should also have been yellow carded.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

As soon as Eddie lost the RWC final he was going to come under fire for any losses, anything other than a win wasn't going to keep the English press and the fans at bay. Combine that with their worst 6 Nations finish in terms of points conceded and the first time they've lost against the three home nations since 1976, and it was always going to be the topic.

That's a bit selective seeing as he won the 6 nations (and ANC) in between those two. Losing the World Cup final is not grounds for reviewing his status either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

That's a bit selective seeing as he won the 6 nations (and ANC) in between those two. Losing the World Cup final is not grounds for reviewing his status either.

We've been here before. They finished fifth in 2018 under Jones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's Liam Williams. He just deserves a yellow card anyway.

A red with with a 6 month ban would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

As soon as Eddie lost the RWC final he was going to come under fire for any losses, anything other than a win wasn't going to keep the English press and the fans at bay. Combine that with their worst 6 Nations finish in terms of points conceded and the first time they've lost against the three home nations since 1976, and it was always going to be the topic.

I think Jones' persona comes against him hugely at times like this. The higher echelons of the RFU still have many who believe that the England head coach should always behave "a certain way" in public and with the media. Call it pining for the "gentlemanly" ways of days past maybe.

It means that within the RFU there's always going to be some who will give significantly less benefit of the doubt to Jones as they might to a less acerbic coach.

Pelezico wrote: »
    He is still a referee for inter provincial rugby.

Alun Wyn Jones should also have been yellow carded.

He's a Pro14 ref.

I agree Luke Pearce should have put AWJ on a card for the penalty he was playing advantage for when Framce scored a disclosed try (play brought back for foul play by Willemse).

But what's so wrong about Owens expressing a view on all.this as a pundit?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    He's a Pro14 ref.

I agree Luke Pearce should have put AWJ on a card for the penalty he was playing advantage for when Framce scored a disclosed try (play brought back for foul play by Willemse).

But what's so wrong about Owens expressing a view on all.this as a pundit?

He is a paid referee slagging off other referees. Never liked him anyway. He likes being drama queen and the centre of attention on the field even as a linesman.

I bet the other refs hate him as a linesman, desperately trying to stick his beak in.

The scrum5 show was embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He us a paid referee slagging off other referees. Never liked him anyway. He likes being drama queen and the centre of attention on the field even as a linesman.

How is he slagging off other referees? He's discussing their decisions in the context of the laws and protocols?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's the whole point though. I wasn't saying it warranted a review, but it's what will have the English press and the fans clamouring all over it as a story line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

blackwhite wrote: »
    I think Jones' persona comes against him hugely at times like this. The higher echelons of the RFU still have many who believe that the England head coach should always behave "a certain way" in public and with the media. Call it pining for the "gentlemanly" ways of days past maybe.

Tis always the way with such coaches. Forgive me for bringing in another sport, but if you look at Bill Belichek for the Patriots - he looks like a disgruntled genius when they are winning and a bit of an idiot when they are losing

He is a paid referee slagging off other referees. Never liked him anyway. He likes being drama queen and the centre of attention on the field even as a linesman.

I bet the other refs hate him as a linesman, desperately trying to stick his beak in.

You just don't like him.

I find him very annoying myself, and quite cringey. There's nothing wrong in principle with what he's doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I thought Scrum V last night was very fair ....

If you want to see 'embarrassing' then I suggest you watch RTE 2 tonight @8pm ..... rarely fails in that respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nigel Owens was on Scrum5 suggesting that yellow cards to Wales were inappropriate

Disgraceful stuff from a man who just wants to stay in the public eye.

Hopefully refereeing body will have something to say about this.

Jeez, did he piss in your cornflakes or something?

The man is very much entitled to his opinion.

What does the refereeing body have to do with it? He's no longer an international ref. He can say what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hopefully it will be a different format if it's sticking to the 24 teams next season https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1374031866240589828?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Ex Sarries & Racing player, Dan Scarborough has joined the other ex players in the concussions lawsuit
    Early onset dementia at the age of 43

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be a different format if it's sticking to the 24 teams next season https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1374031866240589828?s=19

8 pools of 3, with one team from each league, with the 8 pool winners advancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well it certainly shows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

sydthebeat wrote: »
    his outright refusal to look at players like sam simmonds has also hurt his reputation... he comes across as incredibly dictatorial.

I have always thought that he was a 'bit of a dictator'......only without the tator bit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Believe it when I see it etc

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Believe it when I see it etc

Ah yeah, a lot can change between now and July

Gloucester's Matt Banahan received a 3 week ban yesterday....he was playing against Quins and was red carded after a head contact tackle which actually knocked him out cold.
    The ban only starts when he's declared fit...have we seen that proviso before?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Gloucester's Matt Banahan received a 3 week ban yesterday....he was playing against Quins and was red carded after a head contact tackle which actually knocked him out cold.
    The ban only starts when he's declared fit...have we seen that proviso before?

I don't recall seeing it explicitly called out like that , but technically bans only apply to game where you are available for selection.

So I guess if you are definitively injured then you are not available for selection.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing it explicitly called out like that , but technically bans only apply to game where you are available for selection.

So I guess if you are definitively injured then you are not available for selection.

Yeah sky news were stating that thIs morning.. unusual I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Danny Cipriani signs for Bath. Also it seems incredible that someone with his talent only won 16 caps.

https://twitter.com/BathRugby/status/1375025918377254913?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Obviously very good reasons Golden Wrists only has 16 caps, bit of a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I assumed he would be in Japan, his profile is big enough to command a decent wedge and it's much less attritional than the prem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement