Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Teferi wrote: »
    This is Dublin but I've seen €20 entrance for a 1sts games, and it wasn't even a derby. You're only getting the diehards, the parents and the alikadoos at that price. For an extra fiver you get into the RDS for a Leinster game - not a chance you attract a passerby.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/alickadoo

For anyone else who wondered what the hell teferi was referring to…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    I think I paid a tenner to watch Terenure Metro 6 or something in a league final a number of years ago.

Maybe I am misremembering through, so don't take this as gospel.

I’ve never had to pay into any junior game ever, even finals. Think Greystones charge 10 for the firsts games, in the unlikely event you find yourself free on the Saturday of a home game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

stephen_n wrote: »
    I’ve never had to pay into any junior game ever, even finals. Think Greystones charge 10 for the firsts games, in the unlikely event you find yourself free on the Saturday of a home game.

I’ve played in a couple of Jenkinson finals that had I think a €5 admission! Played Ardee many years ago and they turned up with 3 coach loads of people, ca$hing in haha!

My last team before hanging up the boots was AIL 1a and there was an admission for 1stXV games! On rare occasions you could catch an AIL game in the afternoon and make it to the RDS for a Leinster game later that evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

swiwi_ wrote: »
    https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/alickadoo

For anyone else who wondered what the hell teferi was referring to…

Do they not have them in clubs in NZ? Or would they be digeridoo’s

I know that’s Australian!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Kieran Crowley moving to head coach of Italian national team. Didn't understand Benetton ditching him as I rate him as a coach but guess that makes more sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Sounds to me like a slam dunk case to get a longer ban, considering he initially accepted the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can they extend it based on this appeal, if it fails?

Can they extend it based on this appeal, if it fails?

I know they do it in League, in fact there was one only last week where it was a ban that was reduced because of admission of guilt that was increased after the appeal failed because they remove the reduction for admission of guilt.

It’s worth a shot at the appeal, he’ll may never play again anyway, atleast not likely in the Premiership so the risk of an extra few weeks isn’t relevant to him! Like when Zidane was banned after he had retired! It means nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It’s worth a shot at the appeal, he’ll may never play again anyway, atleast not likely in the Premiership so the risk of an extra few weeks isn’t relevant to him! Like when Zidane was banned after he had retired! It means nothing!

He's joining Newcastle

He's signed for Newcastle for next season so there's a good chance the ban will carry over into next season.

Which means he'll miss out on Quins playoff run, and possibly the first few rounds of next season if it gets extended because of the removal of the reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Austin's are mounting a run to host the world cup in 27. I would love to see it in Canada or the U.S. To grow the sport you have to have different hosting nations. Russia would be a good option?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He's joining Newcastle

Ahh, I should really have used google before posting that!

Although I think maybe the same logic is applied, he’ll miss the playoff regardless so why not give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The Austin's are mounting a run to host the world cup in 27. I would love to see it in Canada or the U.S. To grow the sport you have to have different hosting nations. Russia would be a good option?

Compared to China or North Korea maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dubinusa wrote: »

Russia would be terrible. Argentina would be better. Spain would be better!

USA and Canada would be great. Probably will get 2031.

2027 as always gonna go to Australia as a booster to the game in the country. It's a no-brainer to send it there tbh.

As soon as we didn't get 2023 we weren't getting it an opportunity 'til 2031 again. So Wales will get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Rip odd Ireland alive and well for the 2022 summer tour to NZ....

https://rugbytravelireland.com/new-zealand-summer-tour-2022/

Tickets won't be hard to get nor will hotel rooms or domestic flights...and as for the the single supplement Jesus christ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rip odd Ireland alive and well for the 2022 summer tour to NZ....

https://rugbytravelireland.com/new-zealand-summer-tour-2022/

Tickets won't be hard to get nor will hotel rooms or domestic flights...and as for the the single supplement Jesus christ.
    Nothing new there. You will always organise a trip yourself for a fraction of the cost of one of these tours. Its the same with the European rugby packages. You'd organise a weekend including hotel for the cost of one of their day trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As soon as we didn't get 2023 we weren't getting it an opportunity 'til 2031 again. So Wales will get that.

We won't get one, ever. That's been made clear by the 2023 decision.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

agreed

as long as they have a weighting towards being able to show youve held events of that scale previously, Ireland will never host it.

also, if countries can just throw money at WR above and beyond what is requested, then we'll never be in a winning position when up against bigger economies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

:(

Alas true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

Indeed. We need get our security situation on a par with South Africa to have any chance.

Cynical? me? You fecking bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

In the wake of the Ulster cancellation and the news of the Lions getting jabbed yesterday, I was musing.

Should pro rugby players and coaches/admin staff/ those in the "bubble" have been vaccinated months ago?

I don't think they should have been prioritised over elderly or vulnerable but they've adhered to a pretty full training and match schedule over the last few months.

I think essential worker is a bit of a generous term for them but it's clear that keeping sport going has been a priority to keep some sort of break from the monotony of this lockdown.

I'm aware that those vaccinated can still carry it (although there has been positive studies that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine appears to reduce transmission of Covid https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html)

In the Republic especially optics seems to have been the primary driver or some of the roll outs. They couldn't be seen to be favouring certain demographics or risk outrage which is frustrating to see.

Who cares if the politicians get them first. Personally I think all sitting Dail members should have been jabbed as early as possible.

In a similar case. I have a relative who works in an embassy in Asia. None of the Irish expats in country have received vaccines due to the perception that Govt officials will get vaccinated before the general Irish public. Multiple other expats from the majority of the developed world have received their jab months ago while the Irish are stuck between a rock and a hard place as they're essentially stranded until they get it.

Anyway - I didn't want to devolve this into a rant about the speed of vaccine roll out, I think it's going relatively well given this is unprecedented.

Bottom line I think if you were expected to continue as a high performance/ professional sports person - you should have gotten vaccinated at the earliest practical opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

No.

OldRio wrote: »
    No.

Well constructed points there.

You built well on your premise from points 1 to 4 there but kind of lost your way when trying to wrap up the conclusion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Optics is the word.

Perhaps around now, the likes of rugby players could be vaccinated. The cohorts at most risk are done at this stage, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

In the wake of the Ulster cancellation and the news of the Lions getting jabbed yesterday, I was musing.

Should pro rugby players and coaches/admin staff/ those in the "bubble" have been vaccinated months ago?

I don't think they should have been prioritised over elderly or vulnerable but they've adhered to a pretty full training and match schedule over the last few months.

I think essential worker is a bit of a generous term for them but it's clear that keeping sport going has been a priority to keep some sort of break from the monotony of this lockdown.

I'm aware that those vaccinated can still carry it (although there has been positive studies that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine appears to reduce transmission of Covid https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html)

In the Republic especially optics seems to have been the primary driver or some of the roll outs. They couldn't be seen to be favouring certain demographics or risk outrage which is frustrating to see.

Who cares if the politicians get them first. Personally I think all sitting Dail members should have been jabbed as early as possible.

In a similar case. I have a relative who works in an embassy in Asia. None of the Irish expats in country have received vaccines due to the perception that Govt officials will get vaccinated before the general Irish public. Multiple other expats from the majority of the developed world have received their jab months ago while the Irish are stuck between a rock and a hard place as they're essentially stranded until they get it.

Anyway - I didn't want to devolve this into a rant about the speed of vaccine roll out, I think it's going relatively well given this is unprecedented.

Bottom line I think if you were expected to continue as a high performance/ professional sports person - you should have gotten vaccinated at the earliest practical opportunity

ideally yes, but itd realistically mean that every irish athlete deemed elite would also have to get them and thats probably not practicable. can you imagine the outrage from the GAA if rugby players got vaccinated and they didnt?

Optics is the word.

Perhaps around now, the likes of rugby players could be vaccinated. The cohorts at most risk are done at this stage, I believe.

The priority was to healthcare workers, elderly and vulnerable and rightly so.

The vast majority of those cohorts have been done for around 2 months now. Anyone aged 65-69 was able to register to a jab for over 6 weeks in the republic

• Advertisement

ideally yes, but itd realistically mean that every irish athlete deemed elite would also have to get them and thats probably not practicable. can you imagine the outrage from the GAA if rugby players got vaccinated and they didnt?

I think there is absolutely scope to get high performance GAA athletes done also though.

Intercounty games have resumed and consequently, I think there's a fair argument that they should be eligible for an early vaccine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement