Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Erasmus to coach the Boks. Really didn't see that coming...
    First game against Wales in Washington D.C of all places

Interesting to see how they go. They are the most likely team for us to face in the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

com.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Interesting to see how they go. They are the most likely team for us to face in the quarter finals.

When it comes to the RWC the end tends to justify the means: I expect the Boks to suddenly and mysteriously relax their overseas selection rules. They are the kind of team who could be rubbish and then suddenly peak at the RWC. Much like Argentina tend to lift their game. Should be a juicy RWC, once again. Can't underestimate the ability of the tournament to spread the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

They'll be a force to be reckoned with certainly. Can imagine he will transform them completely, they have the depth and talent too, just lacked direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Rala_ wrote: »
    They'll be a force to be reckoned with certainly. Can imagine he will transform them completely, they have the depth and talent too, just lacked direction.

Think they've the talent & potential in the pack to compete with anyone. But for me, they've very little in the backs, no 9, centres or back 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Bazzo wrote: »
    That's shocking. I'd be extremely embarrassed if I was a Scottish fan (I know these are obviously these are just a few pricks but still).

I was in Edinburgh last weekend.
    Wasn't at the game but was mingling afterwards. There was a very noticable vibe of thumbing-their-noses from the scottish fans. Not very rugby-like imo. Some exceptions of course, but the majority seemed to lack a little humility in victory.

That, combined with the result from Murrayfield last year, makes me want to really, really beat the pants off them next week.

(But buy one or two of their fans a pint afterwards and tell them that they have a fine side...kind of)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Not sure what I think of this...but the NZRU has signed a reciprocal deal with Harlequins
    • Harlequins will become the destination for All Blacks seeking a European sabbatical
    • Harlequins would send developing players to New Zealand as part of the deal, and could also see their coaches head to New Zealand for experience
    • The agreement will see NZR and Harlequins cooperate on a number of projects in relation to playing and coaching resources, team training and commercial leverage opportunities
    • Why Harlequins? - Harlequins boast a strong Kiwi connection, with Sean Fitzpatrick on their board and Nick Evans as attack coach. Evans is expected to return to New Zealand as part of the deal, to gain coaching experience

Innovation ("No. 8 wire mentality") is one of the better Kiwi characteristics and thinking outside the box is a necessary requirement for the NZRU...we will see whether it's a good idea or not. Remains to be seen where other deals are struck...Leinster please Steve Tew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not sure what I think of this...but the NZRU has signed a reciprocal deal with Harlequins
    • Harlequins will become the destination for All Blacks seeking a European sabbatical
    • Harlequins would send developing players to New Zealand as part of the deal, and could also see their coaches head to New Zealand for experience
    • The agreement will see NZR and Harlequins cooperate on a number of projects in relation to playing and coaching resources, team training and commercial leverage opportunities
    • Why Harlequins? - Harlequins boast a strong Kiwi connection, with Sean Fitzpatrick on their board and Nick Evans as attack coach. Evans is expected to return to New Zealand as part of the deal, to gain coaching experience

Innovation ("No. 8 wire mentality") is one of the better Kiwi characteristics and thinking outside the box is a necessary requirement for the NZRU...we will see whether it's a good idea or not. Remains to be seen where other deals are struck...Leinster please Steve Tew :D

A jersey swap is a must

The All Blue Red Brown Greys. Lets see the NZRU market that .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Adidas may have played a part too.

i like that they are trying something, if they cannot get a global calendar then maybe this is the next best thing. you can go on your rugby holiday up north and we will still have some input into your welfare( i am presuming they will have an input)

• Advertisement

went over to planet rugby to see what they thought and the thread title is " Mike Brown to mentor Ben Smith". i chuckled

hopefully he gives two fingers to the quota

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don't think you understand why the quota was imposed. SARU were given plenty of time to get their house in order with regard to spreading the game amongst the majority population. They didn't bother their arses and only when it came to looking for money from the SA government for the RWC, did they agree to quotas because they were past their last chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Think I heard Rassie was going to pick from the Europe based players? Good for the quality of the side, bad for the continuing drain of players North if true. Also don't know how that would impact some of the players contracts in Europe already. Assume many were signed on the assumption they wouldn't be playing internationals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Think I heard Rassie was going to pick from the Europe based players? Good for the quality of the side, bad for the continuing drain of players North if true. Also don't know how that would impact some of the players contracts in Europe already. Assume many were signed on the assumption they wouldn't be playing internationals

They can refuse to play can they not...guys like Kleyn would have no real wish to be brought into the Saffer fold anyway...
    Could be interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What foreign based SA players would walk into a SA 15? Cause I genuinely don't see the talent there anymore. A lot of the players that would have are now passed it Pieterson, Habana even Du Plessis isn't needed with Marx.
    Positions were there is a lot of SA talent abroad (Probably Second Row & Back Row) are all well stocked in SA. Maybe a full fit Coetzee at Ulster would start for the boks. But other then that Whitely & Kolisi are as good as anyone abroad.
    Faf de Klerk at Sale would be the only one I can think of that would start in a full fit 15. And maybe Lambie at 15.

Edit: Koch at Saracens would probably start.

Not disputing that, but are there not 400 Saffers plying their trade abroad? Surely a few would get into the side ?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I don't think you understand why the quota was imposed. SARU were given plenty of time to get their house in order with regard to spreading the game amongst the majority population. They didn't bother their arses and only when it came to looking for money from the SA government for the RWC, did they agree to quotas because they were past their last chance.

I don’t care why it was brought in. Sport should be a meritocracy .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

30 minutes into Gloucester vs Newcastle and Healy is talking rubbish again.

There's as stonewall a yellow as you'll ever see for a no arms high tackle that he's arguing is harsh to see the Glaws player binned.

Northampton continue to be an embarrassment. Losing 31-6 at home to Sale, solomona hat trick

• Advertisement

I doubt you're caring or not will make a whit of a difference. SARU screwed the pooch and are now reaping the rewards. And afaik, they've made no effort since then to improve things. Apartheid is alive and well within their ranks and quite frankly your outrage is misplaced.

What foreign based SA players would walk into a SA 15? Cause I genuinely don't see the talent there anymore. A lot of the players that would have are now passed it Pieterson, Habana even Du Plessis isn't needed with Marx.
    Positions were there is a lot of SA talent abroad (Probably Second Row & Back Row) are all well stocked in SA. Maybe a full fit Coetzee at Ulster would start for the boks. But other then that Whitely & Kolisi are as good as anyone abroad.
    Faf de Klerk at Sale would be the only one I can think of that would start in a full fit 15. And maybe Lambie at 15.

Edit: Koch at Saracens would probably start.

Willie Le Roux would be close if not in. Duane Vermulen too, played in the autumn when SA were in France. Then there's guys like

Aplon
    Steyn
    Pienaar
    Kruger
    Willemse
    Loew
    Van der Merwe
    Any number of Du Plessis

Would all push for squad spots and at least add depth

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So expressing an opinion in the mildest terms possible is 'outrage' these days?

Vermeulen is moving back to SA in part to play with the Boks again for the World Cup. He's probably a bit nonplussed by this.

That's a trick question in here isn't it?

:D

Well you seem to set a very high bar for outrage, if this doesn't express it for you:

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I doubt you're caring or not will make a whit of a difference. SARU screwed the pooch and are now reaping the rewards. And afaik, they've made no effort since then to improve things. Apartheid is alive and well within their ranks and quite frankly your outrage is misplaced.
    Bizarre ire being directed in my direction. I want them to pick the best players available and if that means 15 white players, 15 black players or any combination thereof so be it.

All I said was I hoped rassie gave two fingers to a quota and picked on merit.

I watch sport to get away from the drudgery of real life and politics .

Bizarre ire being directed in my direction. I want them to pick the best players available and if that means 15 white players, 15 black players or any combination thereof so be it.

All I said was I hoped rassie gave two fingers to a quota and picked on merit.

I watch sport to get away from the drudgery of real life and politics .
    Unfortunately in the sase of the SARU, the politics was already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Are the Irish Wolfhounds on hiatus or are they completely gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Asus X540L wrote: »

A internationals seem to have died off in recent seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Not gone completely. Need to find sides to play them and not sure England want games anymore or at least the PRL clubs want the games continuing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement