Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bristol lost their first game of the season to Jersey at home over the weekend. That doesn't bode well for their hopes in the AP. Jersey aren't anything special at all. Even if Bristol are taking their eye off the ball as they're all but promoted, they should be easily putting away a team like Jersey when they've guys like Madigan, Luatua, Morahan, Tonga'uiha and Jack Lam all starting the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Buer wrote: »
    Bristol lost their first game of the season to Jersey at home over the weekend. That doesn't bode well for their hopes in the AP. Jersey aren't anything special at all. Even if Bristol are taking their eye off the ball as they're all but promoted, they should be easily putting away a team like Jersey when they've guys like Madigan, Luatua, Morahan, Tonga'uiha and Jack Lam all starting the match.

Jersey would be regarded as having one of the best packs in the Championship and they would appear to have targeted this match as they put their starting front row on the bench for their previous match at home to second-placed Ealing which they duly lost.

Bristol's weakness is entirely in their front-five and they have actively been recruiting in this area now that they are pretty much guaranteed promotion despite Sunday's defeat.

Jersey have form in this regard as it is the third time in the month of March in four seasons that they have defeated the unbeaten leaders of the Greene King IPA Championship - respectively Worcester and London Irish!

Also good to see Jerry Sexton starting for Jersey and scoring one of their five tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Don’t like this trend of NZ poaching Irish coaches. Ex-Irish forwards coach John Plumtree will coach the Canes with ex-Munster backs coach Jason Holland as his assistant. I suppose with so many NZ coaches overseas we had to look at recruiting from the Home Nations...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Don’t like this trend of NZ poaching Irish coaches. Ex-Irish forwards coach John Plumtree will coach the Canes with ex-Munster backs coach Jason Holland as his assistant. I suppose with so many NZ coaches overseas we had to look at recruiting from the Home Nations...

hopefully they can have all their bad habits trained out of them that they picked up north of the equator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

phog wrote: »
    The dream team back together again. It was only a matter of time. :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good grief. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah that'd be great if they can get a decent programme going there. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Not confident though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good to see DK back in rugby and a quick bounce back for LK. That's a very good coaching duo for a Championship club.

It will be interesting to see how many of the current squad London Irish will be able to retain for their battle to bounce back up to the Premiership. Announcing such an experienced coaching setup should certainly help in that regard.

Good to see DK back in rugby and a quick bounce back for LK. That's a very good coaching duo for a Championship club.
    There's hope for Eddie yet. :)

Sure he's only down the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GeordieC

Could anyone recommend what bar/hotel bar is good to watch rugby near the Aviva Stadium? Looking somewhere to watch France v England straight after on Saturday

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GeordieC wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend what bar/hotel bar is good to watch rugby near the Aviva Stadium? Looking somewhere to watch France v England straight after on Saturday
    Every bar in the area will be showing the match. They'll all be packed to the tits.

awec wrote: »
    Every bar in the area will be showing the match. They'll all be packed to the tits.
    :eek:

Not sure what bars you frequent, but most of the ones I go to have rafters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All will be showing it. Just choose whatever one you can get anywhere near a screen/seat/stool at bar...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'd generally head to Smyths on Haddington Road.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the beggars bush will have a couple of outside TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dan Tuohy has signed for Stade Francais as a medical joker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

That sucks........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

prawnsambo wrote: »

I genuinely need to start going to awec's bars for six nation's games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I genuinely need to start going to awec's bars for six nation's games.

I suspect he's milking it......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jacothelad wrote: »
    I suspect he's milking it......:D

Pull the udder one

NZ website reporting that a French club is preparing to table a €2'000'000 per season for 3 seasons offer to Beauden Barrett :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

NZ website reporting that a French club is preparing to table a €2'000'000 per season for 3 seasons offer to Beauden Barrett :eek:

If true he would be nuts not to take it. It would set him up for life.

Teferi wrote: »
    If true he would be nuts not to take it. It would set him up for life.

Ah yeah, anyone would take it.

It's not really of interest to this forum, but there is a bit of talk in the NZ media about what the NZRU is or can do to stop the flow north. I don't see any way they can or should compete with that offer though.

It's only a rumour, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked.

I don't think too many in the NH lose too much (any?) sleep over it, but I think rugby would be poorer if SA, Australia and NZ became easy beats.

Interestingly, despite all the money in the French game, they are not exactly dominating Europe this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

prawnsambo wrote: »

You're going to the wrong bars! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Back in time for the next World Cup...

Genuinely where are the French getting the money, i know average attendance for games is around 13,000 which the AP closer to 14,000...

But throwing out the money they are in France and England is crazy, are we going to see a few clubs going bust like we have all to often seen in other sports mainly football(soccer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Back in time for the next World Cup...

Genuinely where are the French getting the money, i know average attendance for games is around 13,000 which the AP closer to 14,000...

But throwing out the money they are in France and England is crazy, are we going to see a few clubs going bust like we have all to often seen in other sports mainly football(soccer)
    The could conspire to collapse nzru policy, if they pool their resources and target their players. If it's seen as a strategic goal that would benefit them all, corporate groups have done far more scrupulous things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement