Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Yeah, the forwards haven't really got bigger, apart from freakish specimens like Atonio and Skelton, but a lot of backs are every bit as heavy these days.

Edit: What's the heaviest and lightest international XV you could pick today?

Off the top of my head:

1. Ben Tameifuna
    3. Uini Atonio
    4. Will Skelton
    5. Cameron Skelton
    6. Maro Itoje
    7. James Haskell
    8. Billy Vunipola
    9. Conor Murray
    10. Francois Steyn
    11. Taqele Naiyaravoro
    12. Mathieu Bastreaud
    13. Manu Tuilagi
    14. Nemani Nadolo
    15. Scott Spedding

Couldn't pick out a particularly heavy hooker, a lot of them are of a fairly similar build these days, no more Servat's knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Off the top of my head:

1. Ben Tameifuna
    3. Uini Atonio
    4. Will Skelton
    5. Cameron Skelton
    6. Maro Itoje
    7. James Haskell
    8. Billy Vunipola
    9. Conor Murray
    10. Francois Steyn
    11. Taqele Naiyaravoro
    12. Mathieu Bastreaud
    13. Manu Tuilagi
    14. Nemani Nadolo
    15. Scott Spedding

Couldn't pick out a particularly heavy hooker, a lot of them are of a fairly similar build these days, no more Servat's knocking around.

Bismarck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bismarck?

Forgot he was still playing. Think he defines "monster" nicely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I just googled yer man Kebble at Glasgow knowing he's hefty (he's 128kg), Antonio is 152kg!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

For anyone who is intereated, quick discussion about seasonal planning, patterns of play and tactical periodisation. 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I see Cameron Skelton listed at 150kg. Jazis.
    Folau would add a good bit over Speeding I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I see Cameron Skelton listed at 150kg. Jazis.
    Folau would add a good bit over Speeding I'd say.

His ‘little’brother Logan Skelton is a bit unit too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Rugby Europe seems to me like an organisation that doesn't really need to exist. World Rugby know how to organise a tournament, just let them take care of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rugby Europe seems to me like an organisation that doesn't really need to exist. World Rugby know how to organise a tournament, just let them take care of everything.
    No. you need a european organisation like you need regional organisations for all other areas in the world. You wouldnt expect office in Dublin to do all this work for all over the world as well would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Half of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This graphic is in The Times article. Only one club in the black.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F8a806e16-36af-11e8-b5b4-b935584040f4.png?crop=5500%2C3667%2C0%2C0&resize=685

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wray said: “Saracens are not for sale – that’s rubbish. Remgro are a billion pound company and the investment in the club is relatively tiny and they want to reduce that and I am going to buy their share. They have been fantastic partners and we will keep a relationship going because we want more South African players. Saracens will survive for a hundred years but I am not and so you have to create sustainability. We have major ambitions for one of the best club brands in the World.

“I am now the 100 percent owner and I have already got people expressing an interest and we will see how it evolves because there is no rush. Remgro put money into the club and that will be the case again because I haven’t sold any shares. Any money goes to the club to make it better, not me; this is a love affair but it’s not a blind love affair. I believe in what we are doing at the club and the family we have created and I have never added up what I have spent. Our losses are coming down every year

“The West Stand is going to cost £22m which is a shedload of money but we have had offers of finance to fund it and it would be a normal banking arrangement. Hopefully, building could start before next season. We are creating something meaningful in the community and the school we have funded is opening in September and we are more than just a rugby club. “

Not that I'd ever take anything he says at face value - https://www.rugbypass.com/news/nigel-wray-responds-rumours-saracens-sale-spread

Brought to you by Bilston's Dreams:

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/apr/03/the-solution-to-rugby-union-warring-factions-a-british-irish-big-league?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true
    Who, ultimately, benefits from ‘my league’s better than yours’ willy-waving? Both camps should instead be looking 10 or 20 years down the track. How can professional club rugby in these islands become not just sustainable but commercially vibrant in potentially uncertain times? Should there be fewer or more pro teams in England? What is the most obvious way of uniting the current warring factions, making significant organisational savings and raising playing standards and interest across the board? There is one simple answer: an amalgamated British and Irish league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What is it about the English media? Ultimately, why do the Irish media/pundits tend to blame the performances of the teams, whereas the English seek to blame either their entire rugby structure or the competitions themselves? Is it just the hangover of a national superiority complex, where they think it can't possibly be the teams that are at fault because everything English must be The Best League In the World™ so the problems must be fixable by just shifting a few deck chairs around? Or are they just prone to over-reaction, like claiming the national team is in serious trouble after one mediocre season (can you imagine the Irish press ever doing this the year after a Six Nations win and 2 years after a Grand Slam?)?

Whatever it is, the self-destruction on display is rather delicious.

A few years ago the Pro 12 teams did poorly in the Champions Cup, think it was 1 team in the QFs, and there was plenty of complaining here about how the English had got their way and stolen the competition.

It's swings and roundabouts and we're equally guilty of the same bleating. And to be clear, all its taken this time to set off Irish fans was one journalist talking about his feelings.

A few years ago the Pro 12 teams did poorly in the Champions Cup, think it was 1 team in the QFs, and there was plenty of complaining here about how the English had got their way and stolen the competition.
    Ah yeah. But we had predicted that the English would steal the competition once they'd got their way. So it was just vindication really. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's swings and roundabouts and we're equally guilty of the same bleating. And to be clear, all its taken this time to set off Irish fans was one journalist talking about his feelings.

There's a difference between blaming the English and the English self-flaggelation though! Pretty rare that we hit the self destruct button in the same way.

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's a difference between blaming the English and the English self-flaggelation though! Pretty rare that we hit the self destruct button in the same way.

That is a good point.

I think we genuinely have a fantastic setup so we don't tend to do the whole self-destruct thing. Maybe the closest we came to it was the Connacht marching era. But I think we've generally had such a solid foundation that we don't think about needing to rebuild it. The Welsh on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Brought to you by Bilston's Dreams:

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/apr/03/the-solution-to-rugby-union-warring-factions-a-british-irish-big-league?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true
    Who, ultimately, benefits from ‘my league’s better than yours’ willy-waving? Both camps should instead be looking 10 or 20 years down the track. How can professional club rugby in these islands become not just sustainable but commercially vibrant in potentially uncertain times? Should there be fewer or more pro teams in England? What is the most obvious way of uniting the current warring factions, making significant organisational savings and raising playing standards and interest across the board? There is one simple answer: an amalgamated British and Irish league.

I may have said it once or twice(!) But yes a B&I league would be bloody brilliant! Big TV deals, big crowds, big sponsorship, it would grab a lot of attention from non rugny folk...that said Ulster would be in the 2nd tier right now, so let's hold off for 2 or 3 years!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone got any rugby history book recommendations.

Not autobiographies, and preferably not books centered on one event or one club.

But actual books that chart how the game developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

MJohnston wrote: »

Who'd want to be English coach? You really are a hero or zero in the role - with the resources they have the media expect England to be - at the very least - serious RWC contenders. A couple of defeats, and the sky is falling. It's as if high expectations are the only requirement for success.

If we played by that rule-book, we might have gotten rid of Schmidt after 2016. Think about that!

bilston wrote: »
    I may have said it once or twice(!) But yes a B&I league would be bloody brilliant! Big TV deals, big crowds, big sponsorship, it would grab a lot of attention from non rugny folk...that said Ulster would be in the 2nd tier right now, so let's hold off for 2 or 3 years!.
    Not sure you'd have much travelling support. Would Premiership fans be willing to start taking ferries and flights to see their teams playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone got any rugby history book recommendations.

Not autobiographies, and preferably not books centered on one event or one club.

But actual books that chart how the game developed.

Read one a couple of years ago that was quite interesting. It was a history of the sport going back to the 1800s (even earlier I think) and how it was spread to different parts of the world. I think it was called The Oval World. I'll have to dig it out of some boxes to confirm the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

prawnsambo wrote: »
    bilston wrote: »
    Not sure you'd have much travelling support. Would Premiership fans be willing to start taking ferries and flights to see their teams playing?

They'd only be doing that to come to Ireland (maybe Scotland as well depending on where they were coming from). Everyone loves a weekend in Dublin/Limerick/Galway/Belfast!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

prawnsambo wrote: »

Is there much travelling support in the premiership? It's a genuine question, I have no idea. Travelling around the UK isn't exactly a cup of tea either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,585 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Yup he joins after the Super season.
    Are there any 10s left in NZ !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement