Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Interesting that they explicitly stated that they felt a replay would be the best course of action

Until the new info became available.... different ball game now I think

Does anyone else think that if World Rugby investigate this properly, they are going to find widespread corruption ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Does anyone else think that if World Rugby investigate this properly, they are going to find widespread corruption ?

I'd be inclined to say they'll find widespread Incompetence more than Corruption.

A lot of the "illegal" players appear to be cases of a complete lack of due diligence in terms of player eligibility and so on..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Really would like to see the NH use the Super Rugby model for the TMO. Instead of “try - yes or no” or “any reason not to award the try” the on field refs give a decision “on field decision is try/no try”. The TMO is then no longer obliged to agonise but simply looks for an egregious error that means the decision is patently wrong.

It works much much better and the turn around time for decisions is much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Really would like to see the NH use the Super Rugby model for the TMO. Instead of “try - yes or no” or “any reason not to award the try” the on field refs give a decision “on field decision is try/no try”. The TMO is then no longer obliged to agonise but simply looks for an egregious error that means the decision is patently wrong.

It works much much better and the turn around time for decisions is much quicker.
    Im not sure that is better. Because refs can often be unsighted or just unsure on whether its a try so saying try/no try isnt right if unsure and the TMO still has to look at everything anyway to be sure

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Richww/status/982353806657667072?s=19

Fairly priceless... BBC commentator let's his true feelings come to the fore #partiality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He says "I don't know what they thought they were doing there".

Buer wrote: »
    He says "I don't know what they thought they were doing there".

Shhh, don't ruin it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Bristol back in the Premiership for next year. They've topped the league and no playoffs this year.

Bristol back in the Premiership for next year. They've topped the league and no playoffs this year.

Is it next season that the ring fencing is suppose to come into effect?

• Advertisement

For all the complaints about how the English stars are being flogged and the clubs struggle to balance their playing time with the competitiveness of the AP, I've very little sympathy looking at today's matches.

Owen Farrell and Maro Itoje played possibly the toughest 80 minutes of club rugby they'll face this season last week. That comes hot on the heels of a 6N. They faced a poor Northampton side today who can still be relegated and were without the likes of Hartley and Lawes. Saracens chose to field 10 of the starting team from last week. Farrell and Itoje, their two biggest stars, both played 80 minutes. Saracens had the BP wrapped up after 50. Vunipola, their other test Lion, stayed on until the 63rd minute when they had 44 points on the board.

Why on earth are they flogging these players to hell and back completely unnecessarily? There was absolutely nothing stopping them from making a couple more changes today and giving some of their stars a rest or withdrawing them earlier (or at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Denny Solomona in trouble with immigration as he has reportedly split with his wife.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Denny Solomona in trouble with immigration as he has reportedly split with his wife.
    Not a great week for him. Already banned for 4 weeks for multiple homophobic remarks (to put it polietly) during a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Worcester posted a loss of £8m last year. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    For all the complaints about how the English stars are being flogged and the clubs struggle to balance their playing time with the competitiveness of the AP, I've very little sympathy looking at today's matches.

Owen Farrell and Maro Itoje played possibly the toughest 80 minutes of club rugby they'll face this season last week. That comes hot on the heels of a 6N. They faced a poor Northampton side today who can still be relegated and were without the likes of Hartley and Lawes. Saracens chose to field 10 of the starting team from last week. Farrell and Itoje, their two biggest stars, both played 80 minutes. Saracens had the BP wrapped up after 50. Vunipola, their other test Lion, stayed on until the 63rd minute when they had 44 points on the board.

Why on earth are they flogging these players to hell and back completely unnecessarily? There was absolutely nothing stopping them from making a couple more changes today and giving some of their stars a rest or withdrawing them earlier (or at all).

The issue is that the RFU have these concerns, but because the clubs are all privately owned, they have no real control over it. Club owners are paying out massive salaries and want their top players playing every single minute.

The RFU really need to step in and put some form of playing time regulation in place, and hit them with fines if they're breached.

Players are going to end up with serious injuries because of fatigue and just the sheer stress that amount of playing is putting on their bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Worcester posted a loss of £8m last year. Ouch.

Wow and they are still fighting at the bottom. Not good for them at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why are the English teams spending so much on salaries? What's preventing them producing enough home grown players to fill out 12 teams and huge depth for the England side?

For all the imports and big wages most of the AP sides are not particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Why are the English teams spending so much on salaries? What's preventing them producing enough home grown players to fill out 12 teams and huge depth for the England side?

For all the imports and big wages most of the AP sides are not particularly good.

To be fair they have to operate on a much shorter term basis than the Irish provinces for example. I would think the consequences for an English club having a really bad season are much more severe than if Leinster or Munster did.

I don't think it can be overstated how beneficial it is to have the IRFU backing all the Irish provinces. There's nobody there to bail out Worcester. What would happen to them if they got relegated? They just don't have seasons to spend developing guys I don't think.

I also completely agree with Buer above on the point re. Farrell and Itoje. These guys do not need to be playing 80 mins of a dead-rubber against Northampton.

Nigel Owens has weighed in with his view on the Folau comments... saying they might contribute to some youngsters taking their own lives.....

I'm not sure he's being genuine here... think it could be a clever soundbite to put pressure on Folau to issue a proper apology.

Saracens are never going to get relegated. They could shift out half the over earners and play some youth players in the meaningless away games.

England produces pro-level under 20 teams year after year. Where do these guys end up? Benching behind Itoje away to Sale at best?

What is the long term plan for a club that wins 4 trophies in three years and ends up tens of millions in debt? And what are the RFU doing with all their money if they don't have to pay player wages? Couldn't they give central contracts to 40 or 50 players and restrict their playing time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Saracens are never going to get relegated. They could shift out half the over earners and play some youth players in the meaningless away games.

What meaningless away games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Nigel Owens has weighed in with his view on the Folau comments... saying they might contribute to some youngsters taking their own lives.....

I'm not sure he's being genuine here... think it could be a clever soundbite to put pressure on Folau to issue a proper apology.

Nigel Owens is a man who speaks publicly about the fact that he attempted to take his own life when struggling with his sexuality.

I'm pretty sure he is being genuine.

Nigel Owens is a man who speaks publicly about the fact that he attempted to take his own life when struggling with his sexuality.

I'm pretty sure he is being genuine.
    Exactly. Put yourself in the mindset of a young person struggling with his/her sexuality and then hearing your hero saying you're going to hell for it.

Exactly. Put yourself in the mindset of a young person struggling with his/her sexuality and then hearing your hero saying you're going to hell for it.

Does anyone actually think Folau is someones hero?. This isn't the first time he's opened his mouth and proven a twit....I wouldn't think anything he says would carry any weight and the fact that Nigel implys it could cause people to take their own lives...well... not very clever imo

Does anyone actually think Folau is someones hero?
    The guy is considered one of the best all round athletes in modern times in Australia. He was the youngest ever player to appear for the Kangaroos and then became one of the best in the world in union. There's no doubt he is a hero to some.

Owens is being completely genuine and Folau's comments will definitely have a negative impact on some younger, impressionable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Does anyone actually think Folau is someones hero?. This isn't the first time he's opened his mouth and proven a twit....I wouldn't think anything he says would carry any weight and the fact that Nigel implys it could cause people to take their own lives...well... not very clever imo

If he was from Kerry they’d try to elect him to the Dail! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

In theory, three-quarters of the population of Ireland agree with Folau.

Even the pope doesn't agree with Folau.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Even the pope doesn't agree with Folau.

He gave it a bit of lip service but the official position of the Catholic Church remains that engaging in homosexual acts is a mortal sin and failure to repent can only land you in one place... So no, I don't think he disagrees that much.

To be clear; I find Folau's views absolutely repugnant. I just find it hard to square the outrage against him with the clearly defined teachings of the major religion of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He gave it a bit of lip service but the official position of the Catholic Church remains that engaging in homosexual acts is a mortal sin and failure to repent can only land you in one place... So no, I don't think he disagrees that much.

To be clear; I find Folau's views absolutely repugnant. I just find it hard to square the outrage against him with the clearly defined teachings of the major religion of this country.

You don't really believe that over 75% of the country actually agree with him, though. Because obviously they do not.

Has he faced any official repercussions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement