Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Uruguay turning pro. 15 players have now been training on a full-time basis at the High Performance Center in the Estadio Charrúa for the past two weeks and they will form the base around the 2 pro sides that will compete in the New south american pro rugby tournament that starts next year with 8-10 sides competing.
    Soccer clubs Nacional and Peñarol, located in Montevideo will be the franchises for the 2 sides in Uruguay

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/04/18/professional-rugby-is-born-in-uruguay/

Pretty interesting outlook on the future of US rugby. I hope it works out. They certainly have the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Uruguay turning pro. 15 players have now been training on a full-time basis at the High Performance Center in the Estadio Charrúa for the past two weeks and they will form the base around the 2 pro sides that will compete in the New south american pro rugby tournament that starts next year with 8-10 sides competing.
    Soccer clubs Nacional and Peñarol, located in Montevideo will be the franchises for the 2 sides in Uruguay

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/04/18/professional-rugby-is-born-in-uruguay/

Funny concept, pretty alien to us here. I know they have something similar in Spain (e.g. FC Barcelona multi-sports club).

who_me wrote: »
    Funny concept, pretty alien to us here. I know they have something similar in Spain (e.g. FC Barcelona multi-sports club).
    Wouldnt say funny concept but yeah simply alien to us here.
    It happens a bit in Spain and continental Europe but not sure many other places. Barcelona as you mention have multiple sports under their umbrella. Real Madrid are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wouldnt say funny concept but yeah simply alien to us here.
    It happens a bit in Spain and continental Europe but not sure many other places. Barcelona as you mention have multiple sports under their umbrella. Real Madrid are the same.

Well, there are a few examples in Dublin. Railway Union and CYM Terenure. At a pro level it's kind of funny though!

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Well, there are a few examples in Dublin. Railway Union and CYM Terenure. At a pro level it's kind of funny though!
    Oh certainly is some here but not many more than that. Ask a lot of people and they wouldnt know any so its alien to us..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

South African Yorkshire Carnegie flanker banned for four years for steroid use. First ban in six years in pro rugby in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    South African Yorkshire Carnegie flanker banned for four years for steroid use. First ban in six years in pro rugby in England.

I look forward to his Munster debut!

Edgy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Nic White has joined Weber and Perenara in condemning Folau. Another scrum half but more importantly a former teammate of Folau this time.

https://twitter.com/white_nic/status/986651143651627009?s=19

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Nic White has joined Weber and Perenara in condemning Folau. Another scrum half but more importantly a former teammate of Folau this time.

https://twitter.com/white_nic/status/986651143651627009?s=19
    I love the hashtag. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

TBH, I'm deeply offended by your disdain for Munster's open, accepting and charitable attitude to the otherwise unplayables.

"Give me your retired, your injured, Your drugged masses yearning to play free..."

:P

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/23241416/new-zealand-rugby-boss-steve-tew-insists-england-made-no-contact-brad-shields-release?ex_cid=UKSocial_GC_TW

Is this not Steve Tew saying that they have signed a contract that breaches Regulation 9? If a player is called up for international rugby by any team he is elligible for, do they not have to release him?

If not, it's quite an interesting thing indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/23241416/new-zealand-rugby-boss-steve-tew-insists-england-made-no-contact-brad-shields-release?ex_cid=UKSocial_GC_TW

Is this not Steve Tew saying that they have signed a contract that breaches Regulation 9? If a player is called up for international rugby by any team he is elligible for, do they not have to release him?

Yeah its an interesting one. If he went on the tour would he be in breach of contract with NZ Rugby? I wonder could they then sue him. I think it would be a bad thing if they are forced to release him because it could affect how NZ Rugby views players who are playing for the Pacific Island nations or Japan.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Yeah its an interesting one. If he went on the tour would he be in breach of contract with NZ Rugby? I wonder could they then sue him. I think it would be a bad thing if they are forced to release him because it could affect how NZ Rugby views players who are playing for the Pacific Island nations or Japan.

I think it would be far, far worse if they decide not to release him because it would affect how European nations view their own overseas players

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/04/19/new-zealand-say-will-not-allow-brad-shields-join-england-south/
    The Herald reports that 'all Super Rugby players whose eligibility has not already been captured by another nation, have to sign what is known as Schedule Three as part of their contract'. And Shields signed this when agreeing his last Canes contract. It is only void once his contract expires.

It will be interesting to see how this contractual obligation fits with the release of players for international duty, and what exactly Schedule Three contains. Could it be something about representing a NZ national side? If so, there may well be grounds for it. Otherwise I'd struggle to see how it fits with WR rules on the release of internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's completely fine under Regulation 9, as long as part of his contract is around representing NZ at some point in the future.

https://www.worldrugby.org/handbook/regulations/reg-9/reg-9
    9.38 When a Union enters into a written agreement with a Player that contemplates the Player representing that Union at senior or next Senior Fifteen-A-Side National Representative Team level (whether at fifteen-aside or seven-a-side Rugby), the Union may seek the Player’s written agreement that the Player shall not be available for selection, attendance and/or appearance in a National Representative Team or National Squad of another Union during the term of that written agreement, including any extension thereof, provided that, prior to the execution of any such written agreement, the following conditions were satisfied:

(a) The Player had reached the age of majority. For the purposes of the Regulation(s), the age of majority shall be deemed to be acquired by a Player on his 18th birthday.

(b) Pursuant to Regulation 8, the Player was eligible to represent the senior or next senior National Representative Team of the Union with which he has entered into the written agreement and at least one other Union, (i.e., as a minimum requirement the Player had dual Union eligibility status).

(c) The Player had not represented the senior or next senior National Representative Team of any Union in any of the Matches or Tours specified in Regulation 8.3.

(d) As evidenced by completion of the standard form certification set out in Attachment 1, the Player received independent legal advice on the terms of the written agreement. In particular, the fact that in signing the written agreement the Player was acknowledging and accepting that during the course of the written agreement, and any extension thereof, he was foregoing his right to represent the senior or next senior National Representative Team of any other Union for which he may be eligible.

If, subject to compliance with the conditions set out in this Regulation 9.38, a Player’s written agreement so provides, then that Player shall not be available for selection, attendance and/or appearance in a National Representative Team or National Squad of another Union during the term of the written agreement, or any extension thereof and during such period the Union with whom the Player is contracted shall have no obligation to release the Player to another Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I can't remember where I saw this article originally, but I think it's pretty spot on - and I think it probably applies to a lot of teams, not just the All Blacks.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/blacks-taking-moral-high-ground-folau-backfire/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

errlloyd wrote: »
    I can't remember where I saw this article originally, but I think it's pretty spot on - and I think it probably applies to a lot of teams, not just the All Blacks.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/blacks-taking-moral-high-ground-folau-backfire/

I agree. I imagine that there are homophobes in every team and workplace. Its up to their teammates to either stand up to them or not. I imagine it was the same in the past with racists. Attitudes that were acceptable years ago aren't any more. I think its great to see prominent players calling Folau out on this and I would hope they would do the same to SBW or anyone else.

The article was wrong saying that TJ was the first All Black to say anything. Brad Weber commented first.

Dragons centre Adam Hughes has been forced to retire because of brain injury. Hasn't played since September against Ulster. Two major trauma scars on his brain. :eek: :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wow, that's awful. Best wishes to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wasps forward Ashley Johnson suspended due to an alleged anti-doping violation
    Club announcement: Ashley Johnson
    The club is aware that a prohibited substance was reportedly found in an out-of-competition doping control sample provided by Ashley Johnson on February 7 2018.

He has been provisionally suspended by the RFU pending final determination of the matter and is therefore currently unavailable for selection.

Ashley is currently investigating the possible source of the substance and both he and the club are co-operating fully with the RFU in this respect.

We are fully supportive of him in this process but are unable to comment any further at this stage due to the confidentiality of legal proceedings.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/2018/04/20/club-announcement-ashley-johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's a dissapointing crowd at Kingsholm, great weather, Friday night, no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Rob Horne forced to retire due to nerve damage in his shoulder. Only 28. Sad, always liked watching him play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Gordon D'arcy was on Eamon Dunphy's podcast a few weeks back and it was a great listen.

He's a really good, and intelligent, speaker.

It's his belief that in the 07RWC that they tried to change their game plan and struggled to do it and then when they tried to change it back struggled to do that too and that's the reason why the team didn't perform. He wasn't just talking about rugby too.

Have to say I haven't listened to any of Dunphy's podcasts that I didn't think were less than good, they're usually very good.

https://www.thestandwitheamondunphy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Heidelberger of Germany have qualified for next year's Challenge Cup. Good to see more teams from other countries qualify though you'd fear for them if they got drawn in the same pool as a Clermont

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

P_1 wrote: »
    Heidelberger of Germany have qualified for next year's Challenge Cup. Good to see more teams from other countries qualify though you'd fear for them if they got drawn in the same pool as a Clermont

At the rate Clermont are going I’d be afraid of them having a Heidelberger disaster.

Oh the humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dylan Hartley taking an extended break from rugby over concussion issues

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Dylan Hartley taking an extended break from rugby over concussion issues
    Well at least now he knows why you don't clear out rucks with your head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bryan Habana says goodbye to rugby

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh82LyNHVt_/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement