Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The way I read it, any penalty was a break in continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thats if the penalty is given. You could play through the advantage.

Some penalties of course you can't play through. But then you're risking sin binnings for intentionally doing anything.

The whole thing is daft as a giraffe on a raft.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not the way I read it...

The chance finishes by a turnover or infringement by the attacking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's disgusting. Apparently he was late to camp because he was playing for wasps and missed the safety debrief so they just fired him into the session anyway.

https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/991241218632843265?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    That's disgusting. Apparently he was late to camp because he was playing for wasps and missed the safety debrief so they just fired him into the session anyway.

https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/991241218632843265?s=19
    It was a nuts idea to start with. Big guys doing judo throws on other big guys. What were they doing? Practising for red cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It was a nuts idea to start with. Big guys doing judo throws on other big guys. What were they doing? Practising for red cards?

Not unusual for pro rugby teams to do an odd session in the off season in sports like wrestling, judo etc.

Is he taking an action against the RFU or has that already been dealt with? Certainly sounds like there is actionable negligence there.

Buer wrote: »
    Not unusual for pro rugby teams to do an odd session in the off season in sports like wrestling, judo etc.
    Afaik, this was an England training session before the Autumn internationals. He'd played a game the previous day and shouldn't have been doing anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Afaik, this was an England training session before the Autumn internationals. He'd played a game the previous day and shouldn't have been doing anything like that.

Well, aside from the safety briefing issue, it's the height of stupidity if it was the day after a match.

Well, aside from the safety briefing issue, it's the height of stupidity if it was the day after a match.

Wasps played on the sunday. Jones recovery the next day was judo with Itoje having not been there at the safety briefing.

Stupidity doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. He was paired with Maro Itoje too. Only going to be one outcome from that. The injury seems permanent as well. He has real trouble with his ankle still, after almost two years.

Billy V injured again. Hamstring injury in training

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

As someone whose rugby team did a weekend camp that involved serious amounts of judo...it’s nuts. I finished up with shoulder bursitis. Another lad had cracked ribs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What do people think of the new 'power try' being trialled currently with Western Force? For those who don't know, it's a try that's scored from your own 22 with uninterrupted possession. The proposal is for it to be worth 7 points instead of five. So 9 points in total if it's converted. If possession changes hands, or there's a lineout, scrum or penalty it doesn't get the seven points.

Yet more desperation from Australia to try and get someone, anyone to watch a game of rugby in the country..,,every single one of the stupid ELV's that never got implemented came from Australia...

Utterly stupid idea - You can't have a scoring system that only works in games where you have TV cameras monitoring the game.. How is a single ref without independent touch-judges supposed to police or even remember if a series of phases started inside the 22??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That has to be a piss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Why didn't they just walk over the line? Ball was at the front of the maul?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bazzo wrote: »
    Why didn't they just walk over the line? Ball was at the front of the maul?

I thought they could move forward as long as the ball wasn't fed back but I'm sure there's some more intricacies than that?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That has to be a piss take?
    Seen something siimilar in sevens. Choke tackle and player held up, but nobody from his team joins in and the interminable struggle starts where they try to march him to touch and he tries to get his knee on the ground. :D

Not a piss take. Called zero ball on a lot of teams. Defensive pack are trying to win a penalty off the team in possession but the guy who caught the lineout was sharp enough to work out what was going on and not transfer. I've never seen two teams just standing there playing the waiting game though, never played a game where either team was disciplined enough!

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    I thought they could move forward as long as the ball wasn't fed back but in sure there's some more intricacies than that?
    If the ball moves to the back, then it's obstruction. Ball at the front and they move forward and then it becomes a... ahem... flying? wedge. :D

Ref should have blown for a scrum when it was obvious neither team were playing

We saw what it did to Joost VDW. It will do likewise with this guy. So just go and enjoy life

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/991767606112669696?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am almost certain I posted about this last year. I had a look at their annual report for 2016 and there were some pretty worrying signs. They had 7 grand cash in the bank on June 30th 2016.

There was no way that a club could go from near destruction back to the top so quickly without a sugar daddy. They've the second highest debt after Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am almost certain I posted about this last year. I had a look at their annual report for 2016 and there were some pretty worrying signs. They had 7 grand cash in the bank on June 30th 2016.

There was no way that a club could go from near destruction back to the top so quickly without a sugar daddy. They've the second highest debt after Saracens.

And unlike Saracens the people holding their debt will come looking for their money some day soon...

It's looking very, very bad for them.

Makes me very sad. I lived round the corner from them back in the day and played for a local club. Before the move that is.

Good lads at Adams Park, hope the club stabilises. Was in Ricoh Arena for the Womens/20s game a few weeks ago, it's a great venue if they sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s the first time they’ve shown rugby of any kind iirc. May give some sort of indication as to what their European Cup coverage is likely to be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

For anyone looking for an App to replace UR I'd recommend Tribe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement