Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rougerie, Clerc and Michalak all retire tomorrow. Very few of the French team of 2003-10 left now.

Parra, Nyanga, Picamoles...not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Buer wrote: »
    Rougerie, Clerc and Michalak all retire tomorrow. Very few of the French team of 2003-10 left now.

Parra, Nyanga, Picamoles...not much else.

Serious amount legends retiring this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is Clerc playing today? I know he's one try short of a new record so I was going to stick a fiver on him.

Saracens stuck 62 points on Gloucester today. That's 2nd v 7th. All the crying they do about the pro12/14

• Advertisement

That's great. He got a good bit of grief when he had a higher profile but easy to see why he was a massive hit with Bath supporters.

Always sorry to see the retirement of someone who has been a fixture of pro rugby for a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's great. He got a good bit of grief when he had a higher profile but easy to see why he was a massive hit with Bath supporters.

Always sorry to see the retirement of someone who has been a fixture of pro rugby for a generation.

He's not retiring. He's off to Gloucester.

He's not retiring. He's off to Gloucester.

What a pr*ck.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is Clerc playing today? I know he's one try short of a new record so I was going to stick a fiver on him.

He scored after Bonneval did a Teddy Thomas and handed him the try. I hope you backed it.

• Advertisement

Wonderful moment as Rougerie comes off in his final match. All 29 other players come forward to greet him and applaud his departure in a guard of honour type moment.

Wonderful tribute at half time on Canal also. He was like a freight train when younger. Like Shane Horgan except a full second quicker over 60m. Suffered for being so loyal. He could have had a glut of medals if he left his home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Wonderful moment as Rougerie comes off in his final match. All 29 other players come forward to greet him and applaud his departure in a guard of honour type moment.

Wonderful tribute at half time on Canal also. He was like a freight train when younger. Like Shane Horgan except a full second quicker over 60m. Suffered for being so loyal. He could have had a glut of medals if he left his home town.
    It would never have happened though. His family are almost royalty there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What station is that game on as Sky were showing 2 different games.

Didn't Rougerie suffer a bad neck injury some years back - got clothes-lined by some player. I think there was legal action at that time. But he managed to resurrect his career anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

prawnsambo wrote: »

Married to the mayor's daughter too I think!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

https://twitter.com/CanalRugbyClub/status/992862131514236928

Pretty much. His father was mayor of Clermont, I recall. Still a career of somewhat unfilled potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What a pr*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Well that was a crazy end to the Top14 regular season!

LaRochelle into the top 6 when the final whistle blew, queue people in the ground nervously looking at their phones, only for Lyon in their to come from a point down with 10 minutes to go and even score a try in injury time, that pushed LaRochelle out of the top 6.

Pretty much. His father was mayor of Clermont, I recall. Still a career of somewhat unfilled potential.
    I think his mother was too.

He could have moved elsewhere alright, but his family is synonymous with the area and the club. Afaik, he has a restaurant/bar that's part of the wider club infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

My memories of him when he first broke through was that he was the only player I'd ever seen to match Dennis hickey for pace, plus he was about 20 and was the size of a lock with nice hands. Phenomenal, I wouldn't say he really underachieved was a very important player for France and Clermont.

• Advertisement

My memories of him when he first broke through was that he was the only player I'd ever seen to match Dennis hickey for pace, plus he was about 20 and was the size of a lock with nice hands. Phenomenal, I wouldn't say he really underachieved was a very important player for France and Clermont.

33 seasons at clermont. Bonkers

Paddy Jackson had actually signed for Sale according to this. Messy one now.

https://twitter.com/TheRugbyPaper/status/992876854968188934?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Paddy Jackson had actually signed for Sale according to this. Messy one now.

https://twitter.com/TheRugbyPaper/status/992876854968188934?s=19

I'm fairness the article also says Jackson and Olding played for Connacht. I might take this story with a pinch of salt for the time being.

Having said that; I fully expect them to line out for Sale next year.

The journo apologised on Twitter for the Connacht error.

Sale are known liars regarding transfers. I didn't take their statement seriously.

The journo apologised on Twitter for the Connacht error.

Sale are known liars regarding transfers. I didn't take their statement seriously.
    They have form alright with controversial transfers. But you'd suspect that they're testing the waters. This seems the same, but the stuff about the spponsors would be adding a third party into the mix and I doubt they'd do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sale have consistently come out and denied transfers and then signed them a week or so later. Did the exact same last season with Faf de Klerk and JOC.

It's a strange way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

razorblunt wrote: »

I'm an idiot, I was looking at Toulouse, not Toulon! He scored the first try of the game and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Folau definitely isn't backing down anyway... Shared an 11 minute video from an American evangelist on twitter which expresses concern about tolerance of homosexuality and gay marriage and encourages repentance...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Stephen Myler has been signed by London Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Bazzo wrote: »
    Stephen Myler has been signed by London Irish.

That is an important signing for them. They'll need a very experienced and reliable flyhalf if they are going to go straight back up to the Premiership next season.

They are losing quite a number of experienced players as it stands ... "Josh Basham, Arno Botha, Joe Cokanasiga, Darren Dawidiuk, Ben Franks (Northampton), Todd Gleave, Alex Lewington (Saracens), Will Lloyd, Lasha Lomidze, James Marshall, Senitiki Nayalo, David Paice (retired), Richard Palframan, Tom Smallbone (retired), Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Johnny Williams, Tom Woolstencroft (Saracens), Piet van Zyl"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement