Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

how about 50% travellers in ur team then see what happens

We mightn't win the game - but we'd definitely win the fight - or fights! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Says the Irishman???inbreeding is part of ur culture as is peados

Good man, way to bring it way too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Someone is angry again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 June18zellie

Someone is angry again!

Not angry,just facts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Says the Irishman???inbreeding is part of ur culture as is peados
    Yeah, but we're far better educated. :D

Anyway, this isn't rugby, so let's get back on topic. We've one thing in common anyway. We both want you to beat England. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Not angry,just facts

I'm inclined to agree with you! It always annoys me to see Zimbabwean players - like The Beast - turning out for South Africa. :pac:

You really should keep recruitment to your own home grown players!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 June18zellie

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, but we're far better educated. :D

Anyway, this isn't rugby, so let's get back on topic. We've one thing in common anyway. We both want you to beat England. :)

Hopefully will beat England,if he gets to play the right players then will beat anyone but doubt that,shows by he’s captaincy choice that he will have quota players in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

How long before the meltdown?

Hopefully will beat England,if he gets to play the right players then will beat anyone but doubt that,shows by he’s captaincy choice that he will have quota players in the squad

Who would have been a better captain?

Is it just any white player? Because Kolisi has been captaining the Stormers who surely weren't picking him for any quota!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You should import more white Namibian and Zimbabwean players, like the glory days of SA rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Yeah, South Africa really need to cop on and start picking some more Big Boks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It's like a lad that's had 40 pints who keeps trying to sneak into the local pub he's barred from with a selection of pound shop fake moustaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Would this be considered SA's best 23 I wonder? It's not an ideal trip to make the week before you host England for a three test tour so I wouldn't be surprised if Rassie sent a more experimental test side to keep the core of the team fresh for next week.

Still surprises me that Elton Jantjies is the starting 10 for a team that has won the world cup twice, I've yet to see him put in a performance that would give you confidence in his ability to control a game but admittedly I've seen little of his super rugby career.

I don't understand why people are skeptical of Elton Jantjies. He played for a Lions team that were raw when he made his debut. Then when he was loaned to the Stormers in 2013 a few weeks before the tournament started his father died after a bee sting.

Bee sting kills Elton’s dad - report

He also had the misfortune of playing for Allister Coetzee in that season so the circumstances was against a 22 year old going to a new team with established players for a year and he under performed. Think of the reaction to Carberry going to Ulster or Munster for a season and you get the idea of what he had to deal with as well. I am not sure if the players really warmed to him.

But the last three years in Super Rugby he has been far and away the best SA flyhalf. He has almost scored 1000 points in Super Rugby and has led his team to two consecutive finals. He also misses very few games to injuries even with the big forwards targeting his channel.

I think the reason the SA rugby public hasn't warmed to him is that he doesn't play like they think a flyhalf should play. He actually wants the ball and wants to wants to be the playmaker whereas you are more likely to see a forward take the ball as first receiver for other SA teams.

He will make mistakes, but that is because he will want to be the player that takes responsibility. Any team would be lucky to have him as long as they don't bypass him but give him the responsibility of running the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Any of you rugby oldies know the rough decade that throwing into linesouts began to move from scrum-halves and wingers to hookers. Trying to understand that element in rugby's developmental history as best I can.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Any of you rugby oldies know the rough decade that throwing into linesouts began to move from scrum-halves and wingers to hookers. Trying to understand that element in rugby's developmental history as best I can.

I'm not sure but I'm pretty certain I've seen both Sean O'Brien and Isaac Boss throw line outs before if that is of any use to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster still have a winger throwing in. Nobody has told Cronin he is actually a hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think it could have been the seventies. I recall seeing old footage of matches in the sixties where backs were throwing in. But that could well have been from even earlier.

Memory is a little hazy. Started playing in about 1969 and I think the scrum half threw it in. Changed in the mid 70,'s but I wouldn't be 100% on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

IIRC, 9s throwing into lineouts died out by 1980 with the odd exception. I remember French 9s throwing in and it being very unusual. Apparently Berbizier threw in some lineouts in the 1987 WC.

OldRio wrote: »
    Memory is a little hazy. Started playing in about 1969 and I think the scrum half threw it in. Changed in the mid 70,'s but I wouldn't be 100% on that.

Pretty sure you're right. My Dad would have started about 4 or 5 years before you and he threw in until he was done in the mid-70s and his successor throwing in was a hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leinster still have a winger throwing in. Nobody has told Cronin he is actually a hooker.

That explains his darts some days, though wasn’t he a center not a winger?

Pretty sure you're right. My Dad would have started about 4 or 5 years before you and he threw in until he was done in the mid-70s and his successor throwing in was a hooker.

Was your dad a scrum half? I've been trying to find historical sources on this, but rugby history books either focus on the origins, schism, war years in France or the first world cup onwards. You'd be forgiven for thinking no rugby was played in the 60s and 70s!

Was your dad a scrum half? I've been trying to find historical sources on this, but rugby history books either focus on the origins, schism, war years in France or the first world cup onwards. You'd be forgiven for thinking no rugby was played in the 60s and 70s!

A winger. This would have been in England. And given the level he played at I would definitely believe that there wasn't much rugby being played!

I see Edinburgh have put in for planning permission for a new stadium at Murrayfield. It's to be built on one of the practice pitches adjacent to the Main Stadium.
    7800 capacity. 3G surface. Reported in the Scotsman.

A winger. This would have been in England. And given the level he played at I would definitely believe that there wasn't much rugby being played!

Cool, found this game from 1967, Wales v NZ, and for both teams it's whichever winger is closer. So I guess it was sometime in the next 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apt3FaX2Wxw

Edit, although here is a full game from 1977 and New Zealand still have a winger throwing in - but the Lions are using their hooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7I2bor8aw8

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That would be great for Edinburgh. Much more suitable for them and a ground they could genuinely fill for a lot of games. They can move bigger games next door.

With the artificial surface, I wonder will they consider changing Murrayfield also to 3G/4G? It would give a nice advantage to have almost all of the Scottish players playing on that surface every week.

Buer wrote: »
    That would be great for Edinburgh. Much more suitable for them and a ground they could genuinely fill for a lot of games. They can move bigger games next door.

With the artificial surface, I wonder will they consider changing Murrayfield also to 3G/4G? It would give a nice advantage to have almost all of the Scottish players playing on that surface every week.

Murrayfield was one of those cool hybrid's that are really expensive and way better I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement