Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Reports that Chris Ashton has signed for Sale

Pat Lam will be devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Is this him telling Eddie Jones to pick him for England?

Eddie is definitely gonna play Jonathan Joseph on the wing before he picks Ashton. You heard it here first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Notice the NatWest branding has been removed from the Six Nations website, so obviously there’ll be no further renewal this time.

icdg wrote: »
    Notice the NatWest branding has been removed from the Six Nations website, so obviously there’ll be no further renewal this time.

Potentially significance there, not sure what's going on with nat west if they are merging or being bought but their branding wouldn't come down until the end of their contract unless there was a change of ownership happening and they wanted the switch over to happen prudently.

In the absence of that the Six Nations are back where they are and could take a big blow in sponsorship potentially, not sure what the TV numbers are like but England limping home in 5th won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Potentially significance there, not sure what's going on with nat west if they are merging or being bought but their branding wouldn't come down until the end of their contract unless there was a change of ownership happening and they wanted the switch over to happen prudently.

In the absence of that the Six Nations are back where they are and could take a big blow in sponsorship potentially, not sure what the TV numbers are like but England limping home in 5th won't help.

RBS own NatWest. Dont believe anything is happening with that any time soon.

• Advertisement

RBS own NatWest. Dont believe anything is happening with that any time soon.

I was aware of that but it seems odd timing. I presume then that time ran out on the deal. Bad sign that one sponsor comes down and there isn't a ready mate replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I was aware of that but it seems odd timing. I presume then that time ran out on the deal. Bad sign that one sponsor comes down and there isn't a ready mate replacement.
    This goes back to the end of the RBS deal. They dropped RBS but then couldn't find another sponsor, so went back to RBS. cap in hand looking for an extension. RBS gave them one year with NatWest branding, but that's expired now. Seems like they haven't spent that year wisely. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Chris Ashton is set to sign for Sale. Toulon were denying any early release weeks ago but after signing Julian Savea they seem happy to let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

24 players released by Stade France under Meyers new reign. Shane Geraty is one which Ulster could pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Ashton has officially left Toulon and they're citing family troubles.....back to save Eddie Jones bacon it seems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ashton has officially left Toulon and they're citing family troubles.....back to save Eddie Jones bacon it seems!

I could see Jones not picking him to be honest.

I could see Jones not picking him to be honest.

He'd be mad not to, beautiful footballer knows how to score and turned into a very good fullback...I'd say he's coming home as he's had "the nod" from Eddie

Nah. Jones wasn't picking him when he was in England

Nah. Jones wasn't picking him when he was in England

Jones was on the crest of a wave when he didn't pick him, now...he is in the merde, he's going to be picking him #nodoubt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does anyone know if there is hooker data out there? Curious.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think they have some at the K Club.

I'll get me coat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Try around the docks.........;)

Interestiing bit of trivia, but Ryan Fox who's currently leading the Irish Open s the son of Grant Fox; the All Black out half who played for the ABs for almost ten years.

Bristol's Bears twitter account looks like it could be good value for next year. I would very much love to see Madigan excel under Lam next season.

https://twitter.com/BristolBears/status/1015173761266434049

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/carl-rimmer-retires-4116035-Jul2018/%3famp=1

Carl Rimmer retiring after his stroke, not unexpected, but still a blow for the guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This is a good starting place. Handy when you want to shut some rugby horsesh1tter up on the internet. Not that any of that ilk inhabit these threads of course.

WRU press conference coming up...

WRU press conference coming up...
    Pivac taking over from Gatland after the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Big problem for the Scarlets if he brings Stephen Jones with him.

Also big problem for other 6Nations sides if it means Rob Howley gets the boot. Welsh backplate has been poor for a number of years with him as coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Clegg wrote: »
    Big problem for the Scarlets if he brings Stephen Jones with him.

Also big problem for other 6Nations sides if it means Rob Howley gets the boot. Welsh backplate has been poor for a number of years with him as coach.

What are you talking about did you not see the stats the WRU brought out after SOBs criticisms? Howley is the single greatest attack coach in the world right now :D

I don't think Pivacs brand of rugby will translate well to the international game. He may have a good first season as post World Cup years can be a bit odd but by his second season other teams will have Wales well figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I don't think Pivacs brand of rugby will translate well to the international game. He may have a good first season as post World Cup years can be a bit odd but by his second season other teams will have Wales well figured out.

Its a different thing figuring a team out and actually dealing with it. Everyone knows what Ireland are going to do but is a different matter playing against it.

But Pivac is more a manager than coach so be all about the backroom team he brings with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Webbs wrote: »
    Its a different thing figuring a team out and actually dealing with it. Everyone knows what Ireland are going to do but is a different matter playing against it.

But Pivac is more a manager than coach so be all about the backroom team he brings with him.

Very true. And good coaching set-ups know how to adapt. I wouldn't expect to see Wales playing the same way that Scarlets are now under Pivac. If Leinster were able to neutralise them then most top tier sides would be able to as well (I know the calibre of players would be better generally too). But we saw with Schmidt how his style at Leinster didn't translate directly across, even if most of the basic principles remained.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Club Logo relegated to the bottom of the jersey

https://twitter.com/racing92/status/1017021412769492992?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

They're missing an opportunity by not getting sponsorship for the right shoulder and stomach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement