Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yup and look at all those empty lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I don't see a new pro14 season thread opened so posting here.
    Cardiff have signed lock/8 Samu Manoa from Toulon.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-sign-powerhouse-international-14895402

I see in the article that the prop Arhip, the former Ospreys player has signed. I had thought he was going to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Arhip's deal to Montpellier fell through due to him being classified G3 which means he had a significant injury which poses a serious risk and is not deemed fit for rugby. It relates back to a shoulder injury and nerve damage which kept him out for 10 months last year. Oddly, the other high profile of this I recall is Juan Figallo who was classified in a similar manner also with Montpellier. After facing retirement, he reignited his career at Saracens.

Manoa is a bit of an odd one. His best days are definitely behind him now. He turns 34 next season. Cardiff have a habit of signing big, foreign back row players who are on the wane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I don't see a new pro14 season thread opened so posting here.
    Cardiff have signed lock/8 Samu Manoa from Toulon.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-sign-powerhouse-international-14895402

I see in the article that the prop Arhip, the former Ospreys player has signed. I had thought he was going to France.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057886539/1/#post107464975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

https://www.epcrugby.com/2018/07/17/disciplinary-decisions-mourad-boudjellal-and-rc-toulon/
    Decisions of the independent Disciplinary Committee regarding Mourad Boudjellal and RC Toulon.

This completely passed me by at the time.

edit: and then this - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/mourad-boudjellal-i-will-not-appeal-i-will-not-pay-1.3568132

I don't get it. Is he claiming that the Irish and Welsh are turning the EPCR gay? Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

dregin wrote: »
    https://www.epcrugby.com/2018/07/17/disciplinary-decisions-mourad-boudjellal-and-rc-toulon/

This completely passed me by at the time.

edit: and then this - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/mourad-boudjellal-i-will-not-appeal-i-will-not-pay-1.3568132

I don't get it. Is he claiming that the Irish and Welsh are turning the EPCR gay? Classy.
    That is a fairly serious fine in rugby terms, can’t see the IT article, what did he actually say?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

stephen_n wrote: »
    That is a fairly serious fine in rugby terms, can’t see the IT article, what did he actually say?

This
    “I am not homophobic but I have already called someone a fagg*t. It’s become customary, it’s the first thing that comes to mind in an altercation.

“I am worried. What I fear is the mormon side of EPCR with the Welsh and the Irish.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

stephen_n wrote: »

Called somebody a fa***t.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Called somebody a fa***t.

Admits to having done it at some point. We'll all pretend to be appalled and that the idea ever crossed our minds even when we were 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Honestly, I think they're far more protective of the WRU and IRFU than the LGBT rugby community. Can't be calling them mormons.

Admits to having done it at some point. We'll all pretend to be appalled and that the idea ever crossed our minds even when we were 13.

I get what you are saying here and I'm not appalled by the comments, a bit disappointed but I don't know the guy so I can't say I care what words he uses personally.

That said, he has an audience and he is part of the sport. He attempted to condone a player outburst and said it would only be an issue because of, in a weird way, the religious nature of Wales and Ireland?

I mean - he should have just said it was inappropriate and left it at that. He instead tried to justify it which I do consider poor form. It encourages those who keep their hate for homosexuals just beneath the surface to promote their views publicly.

I personally am not appalled or outraged neither as an Irish person nor as someone who believes that homosexuality is a completely normal aspect of life. I don't care what he says privately or what opinions he holds. However when he involves himself in a situation publicly, and condones a certain type of behaviour I can understand why the ECPR might have a problem with that.

And yes, we've all said things as 13 year old's that we subsequently regret. Having someone with an audience publicly reiterate those sentiments doesn't help the process, and Bastareaud wasn't 13 when he said it on the pitch.

I'd wonder did the ECPR have Folau's recent outbursts in mind when it handed down those fines.

Bastareaud wasn't 13 when he said it on the pitch
    I think you'll find he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Sam Warburton to retire due to injury
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44869719

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That's crap for the guy, but his injury profile was pretty bad. Can't help think of the likes of Seanie when reading that too.

Seems like a very decent bloke so hope he does well back in the world.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    That's crap for the guy, but his injury profile was pretty bad. Can't help think of the likes of Seanie when reading that too.

Punditry beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah seemed to be out every season for some time or another. will be interesting if he does come back into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That's really, really ****. I loved watching him play.

I'm a little bit shocked by that. Such a huge player for Wales, it would have been like losing O'Connell at the same age. Very disappointed for him, an absolute competitor and by all accounts a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

In 2013 I didn't rate Warburton even remotely.

But then I saw him in the second test with an obviously serious hamstring injury. Despite this he got up and hopped to the next ruck and stood pillar. Serious character from the man.

On the same tour I remember reading when the Lions were flying to Hong Kong, there was one too many of them for business class so someone had to volunteer for economy class. Apparently he volunteered straight off the bat until one of the others stepped up and went because Sam was carrying an injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's a shame he can't retire on his own terms as he was one of the best flankers in the world when fit. Dovetailed exceptionally well with SoB when they played against New Zealand for the Lions.

Talking of SoB, I fear he's going to go the same way as Warburton if he suffers on or two more setbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Very sad to see any player retire because of injury. Will be a big loss for Wales, even with all the backrow talent they have, Warburton was a class apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »

Punditry beckons.

He seemed very good at it during the 6Ns on the Beeb.

Anyway sad news for a quality player and who seems a quality bloke as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Awful news. Wish him the best going forward.
    Makes me wonder about S.O.B and to a lesser extent Dominic Ryan. Ryan missed almost the entire past season with concussions and S.O.B with a variety of ailments.
    Very unlucky to say the least.
    Anybody see Hartley got married? Maybe marriage will suit him and ease his will side on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Disappointing for Warburton. I don't think many in this country ever gave him close to the respect and appreciation he deserved as a player. He was simply incredible around the field and had a sixth sense for the breakdown. His work rate was untouched by any other back row player of his generation in the northern hemisphere. I'd rate Heaslip as the single closest to him but I still would have Warburton out on his own.

His body simply could not sustain what he was asking of it. He was 103kg. For context, that's 5kg lighter than SOB who was the same height. If he was Irish, he'd be the lightest forward in the squad. I hope he enjoys his retirement and remains in the game in some aspect.

With all that said, it pales in comparison to the horrendous news regarding Rob Horne. Hopefully medical advancements allow him regain movement at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wow, that Horne news is horrendous. Anyone know if that kind of nerve damage can be repaired in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wonder what the average # per year is for injury related retirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Jesus, that Peter Horne news puts Warburton in perspective. Poor bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wow, that Horne news is horrendous. Anyone know if that kind of nerve damage can be repaired in any way?

I'm no doctor or neurosurgeon, but the damage there sounds fairly severe, the nerves were ripped from the spinal cord altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement