Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

From article below it appears the only option to watch Pro14 and European games is Eir Sport - does anybody know if that’s available with virgin media?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/which-sport-is-on-what-channel-your-complete-guide-to-watching-football-and-rugby-on-tv-this-season-37219933.html

You can get it through virgin internet. Not legally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I see grobler is crying in the english media about the Irish media forcing him out 8f the country and confirms he did have discussions about a 3 year deal.

Also says he will reveal all when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd be interested to know if there was medical help and if his usage was blessed. I have no time for him or anyone who does. But, if he was assisted, the plot will thicken.
    On another topic: anyone think the Irish contingent in France will strengthen with P.O.C now in situ with Stade? I'm guessing that some players may be approached to make the move to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if there was medical help and if his usage was blessed. I have no time for him or anyone who does. But, if he was assisted, the plot will thicken.
    On another topic: anyone think the Irish contingent in France will strengthen with P.O.C now in situ with Stade? I'm guessing that some players may be approached to make the move to Paris.

It didn’t when ROG was there, why would POC be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stephen_n wrote: »
    It didn’t when ROG was there, why would POC be different?

It did when rog was there. Two munster players signed for the team he was coaching. Didn't the likes of Coughlan and Dougal also follow Irish coaches?

Heenan followed Lam. I wouldn't be surprised if a few Leinster fringe backs aren't tempted by dempsey at Bath (particularly if results begin to change for whatever reason).

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    It did when rog was there. Two munster players signed for the team he was coaching. Didn't the likes of Coughlan and Dougal also follow Irish coaches?

Heenan followed Lam. I wouldn't be surprised if a few Leinster fringe backs aren't tempted by dempsey at Bath (particularly if results begin to change for whatever reason).

Donnacha Ryan and ROG were both very public about his lack of involvement in that deal. ROG was no longer there when Zebo annouced that he was going there. If players are loooking to move, they will probably talk to people they know who have done it, don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that these Irish guys are enticing players away or influencing them to make that choice. Which was the inference of the original post.

Donnacha Ryan and ROG were both very public about his lack of involvement in that deal. ROG was no longer there when Zebo annouced that he was going there. If players are loooking to move, they will probably talk to people they know who have done it, don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that these Irish guys are enticing players away or influencing them to make that choice. Which was the inference of the original post.

Zebo announced he was going to R92 about 3 weeks before ROG announced he was leaving them. But Zebo says it was his connection with Casey Lualua (who he knew from Munster) also helped.
    Zebo has revealed former-Munster man Casey Laulala, who replaced Ronan O'Gara as Racing's skills coach, played a role in convincing him to join the French club. Teddy Thomas also helped persuade the Munster man. In an odd move, Zebo divulged the information in an interview published on his future club's website today.
    Ronan O'Gara has revealed he made the initial contact with Donnacha Ryan to pave the way for his move from Munster to Racing 92.

Writing in his Examiner column this morning, O'Gara confirmed he made the initial approach to his former team-mate but had no hand in the contract negotiations.

ROG specifically said in his Examiner Column that he did approach Ryan first, but that he had no hand in the contract negotiations.

All of this is pretty natural like. I think Zebo and Ryan were going to leave Ireland anyway, but imagine Ryan had once confided in ROG that he wanted to spend a year or two overseas. ROG is sitting in a scouting meeting at Racing and they need a second row, obviously he's going to say "Donnacha Ryan over at Munster is international class, needs a bit of cash and was open to playing overseas when we were team mates, will I send him a text?".

Zebo announced he was going to R92 about 3 weeks before ROG announced he was leaving them. But Zebo says it was his connection with Casey Lualua (who he knew from Munster) also helped.

ROG specifically said in his Examiner Column that he did approach Ryan first, but that he had no hand in the contract negotiations.

All of this is pretty natural like. I think Zebo and Ryan were going to leave Ireland anyway, but imagine Ryan had once confided in ROG that he wanted to spend a year or two overseas. ROG is sitting in a scouting meeting at Racing and they need a second row, obviously he's going to say "Donnacha Ryan over at Munster is international class, needs a bit of cash and was open to playing overseas when we were team mates, will I send him a text?".

ROG initially said he had nothing to do with it, I didn’t realize he changed his story. Yes I suppose it is entirely possible, but I’d imagine it’s more a case that their agents have put the feelers out in the first place. Racing know he is looking so use ROG to make the introduction. I still don’t think they are actively scouting Irish players.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ROG initially said he had nothing to do with it, I didn’t realize he changed his story. Yes I suppose it is entirely possible, but I’d imagine it’s more a case that their agents have put the feelers out in the first place. Racing know he is looking so use ROG to make the introduction. I still don’t think they are actively scouting Irish players.

It would definitely play a part though. Think about it, a club is looking to fill a spot, and if a coach is consulted they're potentially going to suggest a player they've played with and have a good understanding of their skill set.

And then on the other end, a player would arguably listen more to someone they've played with on their opinions of the club and why they should join.

Similar to the business world where companies look for employees to refer ex co-workers for positions etc, and reaching out to an ex-coworker who could give you their experience on the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I was thinking guys like T.O.D and Holland. They're getting on and are on the back 9 of their careers. Why not go for the pay. Dave Foley and Dougall have done it.
    Also other players may be tempted, Gilroy in Ulster? He won't be at the rwc, barring injuries. He's quality and could earn a lot of money in France. Even some Connacht lads like McKeon or McCartney. Good players the 2 of them. Obviously not all to Stade but, Bristol?
    I just hope that Paulie entices Nagle to go lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Sale playing silly buggers trying to get Ashton back for Challenge Cup Rugby

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45300795

The dates of Chris Ashton's seven-week ban for a dangerous tip-tackle may be changed, which would affect the Sale winger's hopes of an England recall.

The ban issued on Thursday covered a friendly and six Premiership matches.

However it is understood the Rugby Football Union wants clarification from Sale as to whether the club actually do have a pre-season game on Friday.

It is believed a game with Sale FC was on a list submitted by Sharks but it does not appear on either club website.

Additionally, Sale FC played a pre-season game on Thursday night against Stoke.

If the Sharks are unable to prove they are involved in a legitimate fixture, Ashton's ban will instead cover six Premiership matches, and then one Challenge Cup game against Perpignan on 12 October.

That would mean the winger not playing at all before England boss Eddie Jones names his squad for the autumn internationals on 18 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Sale playing silly buggers trying to get Ashton back for Challenge Cup Rugby

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45300795

If it's good enough for NZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wayne Barnes retiring after the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Now that’s unlucky!

molloyjh wrote: »
    Now that’s unlucky!

It is unlucky but it also half reads like he took off on it while still in recovery. Great player and someone you want to see on the pitch, hope he is back asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Karmichael Hunt and Quade Cooper both playing with Brisbane City this weekend in the NRC.

Crazy how no professional teams want to touch either of them at all.

Karmichael Hunt and Quade Cooper both playing with Brisbane City this weekend in the NRC.

Crazy how no professional teams want to touch either of them at all.

It's not so crazy with Hunt. He clearly has a drugs problem. Three times he's been caught. Quade is another kettle of fish. He has some sort of other discipline problem. Something more professional. Love watching both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Massive crowd at the Bristol Bath game. Main camera angle is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Massive crowd at the Bristol Bath game. Main camera angle is awful.

26,000 crowd. That's incredible support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Madigan nailed all his kicks except the last conversion. I saw the last 10 minutes. It looked to be a great atmosphere, a real derby there.

Highlights of all Premiership games are on C5HD Monday night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's not so crazy with Hunt. He clearly has a drugs problem. Three times he's been caught. Quade is another kettle of fish. He has some sort of other discipline problem. Something more professional. Love watching both of them.

Cooper did train with the Reds in pre season but was then dropped.

Him training with them could have stopped him from moving to another club. Financially alone it would have been a problem for the other clubs in Australia to add an extra player when they've already filled their roster.

I have to say I personally don't really rate him, at a high level. He does the flash stuff very well but lacks substance and makes ROG look like Brian Lima in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Zzippy wrote: »
    26,000 crowd. That's incredible support!

West country derby innit. Used to be big rivals, looks like they still are.

That's a pretty good result for Bristol, would be interesting if they end up being quite competitive in the Aviva this year.

That's a pretty good result for Bristol, would be interesting if they end up being quite competitive in the Aviva this year.

It's an absolute gift courtesy of one of the worst blunders I've seen since Spilly Le Roux struck in Dublin.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1035605121651154944?s=19

It's an absolute gift courtesy of one of the worst blunders I've seen since Spilly Le Roux struck in Dublin.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1035605121651154944?s=19

:eek::o that’s embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Glad stuff like that is being spotted. Happens often enough where groundings should be checked and aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leicester got a right hammering from Exeter today.

I'll never agree with anyone who says MoC didn't get a fair chance with Leinster. He's a massive spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Clegg wrote: »
    Leicester got a right hammering from Exeter today.

I'll never agree with anyone who says MoC didn't get a fair chance with Leinster. He's a massive spoofer.

I watched it, they didn't fire a shot. Really really poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cornell du Preez is in a stable condition in hospital following surgery on his throat. Reported to have been a fractured larynx.
    I haven't seen any images or video of the incident, but the tackle wasn't deemed to be high, Worcester fans aren't happy though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement