Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i must admit , ive never heard of dalton papali'i before.....

never played a super rugby game??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i must admit , ive never heard of dalton papali'i before.....

never played a super rugby game??

Thats probably because you didn't watch much of the Blues this year. And I don't blame you for that :mad: He's young (21) with a lot of potential. Was in the U20s last year that won the world title.

The big omission is Akira Ioane. Didn't make either squad. He was name checked by the selectors. They said they felt he was better off getting game time with the Maori. He must be starting to look overseas now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Billy V out for another 12 weeks with a broken arm. Poor guy hasn't had any luck lately. Big blow for Sarries and England.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

prawnsambo wrote: »

Tickets for the match just arrived in the post there today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Thats probably because you didn't watch much of the Blues this year. And I don't blame you for that :mad: He's young (21) with a lot of potential. Was in the U20s last year that won the world title.

The big omission is Akira Ioane. Didn't make either squad. He was name checked by the selectors. They said they felt he was better off getting game time with the Maori. He must be starting to look overseas now though.

He's only 23 though, surely he's better off staying put for 1 more season at least to see if he can break into the squad...all it takes is an injury or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He's only 23 though, surely he's better off staying put for 1 more season at least to see if he can break into the squad...all it takes is an injury or 2

I hope so. He is younger than I thought. Its just he has been "the next big thing" on the verge of a breakout season for a couple of years now. It must get frustrating for him especially seeing his younger brother's career. I hope he sticks with NZ (and the Blues) because I think he could be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    'The Hard Yards' podcast is back but has been rebranded as 'Baz & Andrew's' House of Rugby'.

Anyone listened yet?

Gave it a listen this morning. Terrible name aside it was decent enough. Good chat with ROG, but for something that went on for over an hour I'm not sure there was a huge amount of actual content. They just about mentioned the fact that there were other games outside of the Leinster, Munster and Ulster ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I don't know if it's been mentioned here but Itoje acted the dick at the weekend (mocking Glasgow celebrating when he knew the score would be disallowed).
    I'm not a great lover of this nonsense tbh. The patting on the head or back or getting up into people's faces after winning a penalty etc.
    I saw that Nigel Owen actually penalised a player for unsporting conduct at the weekend. World Rugby trying to stamp it out.
    When we played at school the whole ethos was built on respect and fair play. Hoping it stays that way.
    Thoughts?

mfceiling wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned here but Itoje acted the dick at the weekend (mocking Glasgow celebrating when he knew the score would be disallowed).
    I'm not a great lover of this nonsense tbh. The patting on the head or back or getting up into people's faces after winning a penalty etc.
    I saw that Nigel Owen actually penalised a player for unsporting conduct at the weekend. World Rugby trying to stamp it out.
    When we played at school the whole ethos was built on respect and fair play. Hoping it stays that way.
    Thoughts?
    Yeah. You'd want to give him a thump on the nose. Coincidentally... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’m normally not a fan of it but in this specific case I had a little chuckle. I apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mfceiling wrote: »
    Thoughts?
    Ive reversed penalties for things like that before. Just not needed. Yeah refs need to challenge teams/players behaviours on this more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Now Chris Robshaw is out of the November internationals. He has a knee problem.

God I hope they go back to picking Lawes as a blindside flanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That may be the best thing for England. Time to elevate someone else.

Surely they have more options than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

They had more options than that when they were doing it last time...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

They have options, but Jones has refused to use them. Don Armand has consistently been one of the best flankers in the Premiership for the last few seasons, but isn't selected. Lawes is a second row but was selected often at blindside ahead of actual 6's. As soon as they had Brad Shields signed from New Zealand he was thrown into the England side. Jones doesn't use or rate the flankers he has at his disposal.

Ben Morgan has been on the very periphery but now looks like he might have to play due to Vunipola's injury and Hughes's suspension.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ive reversed penalties for things like that before. Just not needed. Yeah refs need to challenge teams/players behaviours on this more
    Too often now when a team wins a scrum penalty everyone runs in and starts patting the front row guys on the head as if they've just scored a try.

Every time this happens should result in a penalty reversal IMO, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

England have had really limited options at flanker the last few years.

It isn't an exaggeration to say that Leinster currently are more stocked at flanker than the entire country of England.

awec wrote: »
    Too often now when a team wins a scrum penalty everyone runs in and starts patting the front row guys on the head as if they've just scored a try.

Every time this happens should result in a penalty reversal IMO, it's ridiculous.
    Same happens when a player makes a turnover at a ruck. Or makes a couple of game saving tackles like Duncan Williams did the other day. Any reason why front rows should be left out in the cold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Lawes,itoje and launch 6,7,8. Classic English backrow.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Same happens when a player makes a turnover at a ruck. Or makes a couple of game saving tackles like Duncan Williams did the other day. Any reason why front rows should be left out in the cold?

Nope, should happen in all circumstances. Turnovers, tackles, whatever, there’s no need for the whole team to run in with this back patting / high five bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Lads are there any decent rugby podcasts (bar Off the Ball) that release episodes early in the week?
    I like hearing analysis of a match while it's still fresh in my mind - pretty much all the half decent podcasts seem to come out later in the week when you're
    already looking forward to the next upcoming match and want to hear it previewed.

Obviously if they released early in the week they're under more pressure but there's definitely a gap in the market for it imo. Surely there's at least one industrious and enterprising podcaster out there that can handle the heat?!

Nope, should happen in all circumstances. Turnovers, tackles, whatever, there’s no need for the whole team to run in with this back patting / high five bollocks.
    If not the whole team, can they send in a couple of representatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Lads are there any decent rugby podcasts (bar Off the Ball) that release episodes early in the week?
    I like hearing analysis of a match while it's still fresh in my mind - pretty much all the half decent podcasts seem to come out later in the week when you're
    already looking forward to the next upcoming match and want to hear it previewed.

Obviously if they released early in the week they're under more pressure but there's definitely a gap in the market for it imo. Surely there's at least one industrious and enterprising podcaster out there that can handle the heat?!

Second Captains is free on a Monday and they always do a review of the CC. They had Gerry Thornley and James Cawlin on yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why?

Why?
    Awec isn't a team player. High fives when rock climbing can be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If not the whole team, can they send in a couple of representatives?

The "scrum congratulating delegation". One representative from the back three, a centre, and a half back.

After each scrum penalty that's won by the front row, they must all line up and hug each other and pat each other on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Blood & Mud and Brian Moore’s Full Contact both release episodes Monday evening. Blood & Mud is a little more on the light hearted side though (this week’s episode featured a rugby themed Nirvana cover).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you don't mind a premiership heavy podcast, both eggchasers and five live with ugo monye are worth a listen and go out quite regularly. The rugby pod with Andy good and jim Hamilton are also worth a listen but are less frequent and reliable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement