Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If you don't mind a premiership heavy podcast, both eggchasers and five live with ugo monye are worth a listen and go out quite regularly. The rugby BANTER pod with Andy BANTER and jim BANTER are also worth a listen but are less frequent and reliable.

FYP :p

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why?
    Cause it's stupid, slows down the game and wastes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

awec wrote: »
    Cause it's stupid, slows down the game and wastes time.
    You need that time for the replays of that thing they did to warrant all the high-fiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I’m normally not a fan of it but in this specific case I had a little chuckle. I apologise.

That's because you're Nigel Wray.

Should have penalised him. Same with players patting opponents on the head for giving away penalties. I love a bit of sledging but clever sledging not wankery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Blood & Mud and Brian Moore’s Full Contact both release episodes Monday evening. Blood & Mud is a little more on the light hearted side though (this week’s episode featured a rugby themed Nirvana cover).

See I knew I used to listen to Brian Moore because his podcast was out on Mondays but when I looked for it on the player app I'm using there was only last weeks episode up - a google shows that the new episode was indeed uploaded yesterday. Time to ditch that ****ty, late-updating app I've been using so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah Brian Moore is pretty good. Has a great understanding of the game and good chats with guests. Ugo Monye’s pod is enjoyable was surprised. Probably the best of the English pundits on BT too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Lads are there any decent rugby podcasts (bar Off the Ball) that release episodes early in the week?
    I like hearing analysis of a match while it's still fresh in my mind - pretty much all the half decent podcasts seem to come out later in the week when you're
    already looking forward to the next upcoming match and want to hear it previewed.

Obviously if they released early in the week they're under more pressure but there's definitely a gap in the market for it imo. Surely there's at least one industrious and enterprising podcaster out there that can handle the heat?!

The 2ndRow Postcast is usually uploaded on the Sunday
    A Connacht and Munster fan discuss all the Pro14 games - they do how the Pro14 sides get on in Europe on European weekends I think (I haven't listened to this week's podcast yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mfceiling wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned here but Itoje acted the dick at the weekend (mocking Glasgow celebrating when he knew the score would be disallowed).
    I'm not a great lover of this nonsense tbh. The patting on the head or back or getting up into people's faces after winning a penalty etc.
    I saw that Nigel Owen actually penalised a player for unsporting conduct at the weekend. World Rugby trying to stamp it out.
    When we played at school the whole ethos was built on respect and fair play. Hoping it stays that way.
    Thoughts?

Billy V was involved in that too, although that seems to have flown under the radar. As has Farrells constant laughing at Glasgow players when they gave away penalties or turnovers. Of course then there was Rhodes and his hair pulling.

It's not like the club doesn't have form for this sort of thing either. There's no need for it at all and they should be getting pulled up over it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Thats probably because you didn't watch much of the Blues this year. And I don't blame you for that :mad: He's young (21) with a lot of potential. Was in the U20s last year that won the world title.

The big omission is Akira Ioane. Didn't make either squad. He was name checked by the selectors. They said they felt he was better off getting game time with the Maori. He must be starting to look overseas now though.

just as a continuation on this.....

so ben lam, akira ioane and Toomaga-Allen must all have ****ted in Hansons corkflakes at some stage... not even deemed worthy of going to the americas

id say there are already on the blower to europe looking for a start.
    so much for the all black jersey being the be all and end all and being the ultimate honour... seems like hanson is giving them out like smarties these days.

very damaging for super rugby too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Mako Vunipola has torn his calf and will miss the November tests. Couple that with Joe Marler's retirement and England are looking at fielding an international novice at loose head. Nick Isiekwe will also miss the November internationals with an ankle injury that should keep him out for 8 weeks.

Confirmed to be missing the tests

Launchbury (knee)
    Robshaw (knee)
    B.Vunipola (arm)
    M.Vunipola (Calf)
    Hughes (suspension)
    Robson (ankle)
    Joseph (knee)
    Watson (Achilles)
    Isiekwe (Ankle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Clegg wrote: »
    Mako Vunipola has torn his calf and will miss the November tests. Couple that with Joe Marler's retirement and England are looking at fielding an international novice at loose head. Nick Isiekwe will also miss the November internationals with an ankle injury that should keep him out for 8 weeks.

Confirmed to be missing the tests

Launchbury (knee)
    Robshaw (knee)
    B.Vunipola (arm)
    M.Vunipola (Calf)
    Hughes (suspension)
    Robson (ankle)
    Joseph (knee)
    Watson (Achilles)
    Isiekwe (Ankle)

Lol.

What else can you say to that? Poor bastards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

wp_rathead wrote: »
    A Connacht and Munster fan discuss all the Pro14 games - they do how the Pro14 sides get on in Europe on European weekends I think (I haven't listened to this week's podcast yet)

On the subject of Podcasts, did anyone hear the new one with Barry Murphy and Andrew Trimble? Seems to be replacing The Hard Yards (really liked Andy McGeady on that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How long did Hughes get in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

aloooof wrote: »
    wp_rathead wrote: »

On the subject of Podcasts, did anyone hear the new one with Barry Murphy and Andrew Trimble? Seems to be replacing The Hard Yards (really liked Andy McGeady on that one).
    How much BANTER do you like in your podcasts?

Coz this one is full on BANTER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

stephen_n wrote: »
    How long did Hughes get in the end?

Hearing is this evening, so we don't know yet

Wonder will he get reduced time for good attitude during the hearing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Wonder will he get reduced time for good attitude during the hearing :pac:
    Chuckle. Which one? Watching Twitter like a hawk right now. As are the disciplinary committee. :D

DpvaBGZVsAEE5j9?format=png

6 weeks for the punch, the 2 weeks for the tweet will run concurrently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Having a sentence run concurrently is the same as not having the extra sentence. Why do they even mention it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Having a sentence run concurrently is the same as not having the extra sentence. Why do they even mention it

Usually as a deterrent so that other people don’t do something similar. If he didn’t get penalized for it then it could be used as precedent in another case where the more serious incident didn’t occur.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Next time they'll take it into account. Unless he has a really nice shirt and is 7 minutes early.

England squad for Autumn internationals.

Very mixed reaction online but overall drifting towards 'not popular'. Injury crisis isn't helping.

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status/1052839622898794496

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He got the two weeks added back though, originally he was given 6 weeks reduced to 4 for mitigating circumstances of a guilty plea and remorse. The tweet negated this, as they decided it clearly wasn’t sincere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I know he's had his off field issues but Cipriani probably saved Jones's job in the summer and is the form 10 in the Gallagher Premiership. Armand again omitted

Three losses and surely EJ will get door, even if the two Vunipolas are astronomical losses. I don't see them losing to Australia at the moment though, but the SA game will be very interesting indeed. Whether a single win (discounting Japan) would be enough for him to hang on remains to be seen, but surely given the funk they're in, behind the scenes they're already weighing up alternatives

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very mixed reaction online but overall drifting towards 'not popular'. Injury crisis isn't helping.

cipriani is actually better off not being involved with that squad as it could be looking at 3 looses from 3 against SA, NZ and Aus

though i think if Aus suffered a few significant injuries before that game, they may just be looking forward to going home

jr86 wrote: »
    I know he's had his off field issues but Cipriani probably saved Jones's job in the summer and is the form 10 in the Gallagher Premiership. Armand again omitted

Three losses and surely EJ will get door, even if the two Vunipolas are astronomical losses. I don't see them losing to Australia at the moment though, but the SA game will be very interesting indeed. Whether a single win (discounting Japan) would be enough for him to hang on remains to be seen, but surely given the funk they're in, behind the scenes they're already weighing up alternatives

Cipriani is just too much of a variable. No coach would rely on him and to be honest, I think he is a weak link in tight arm wrestle matches.

I know people took issue with Luke Fitz's comments but I'd largely agree with him. I reckon there will be loads of evidence on display in Thomond as to why he isn't international standard despite being hugely talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

They need something different though to try salvage this annus horribilis, and he gave them that in the 3rd South Africa test. I think Ford has looked very ordinary at international level for a while. I'm not sure I'd start Cipriani but I think he's worth bringing as a bench option for sure

With Tuilagi finally available again he may go down the Farrell at 10 road however, with Lozowski or Slade perhaps partnering MT

jr86 wrote: »
    They need something different though to try salvage this annus horribilis, and he gave them that in the 3rd South Africa test. I think Ford has looked very ordinary at international level for a while. I'm not sure I'd start Cipriani but I think he's worth bringing as a bench option for sure

With Tuilagi finally available again he may go down the Farrell at 10 road however, with Lozowski or Slade perhaps partnering MT

Cipriani did nothing at 10 in the last game bar start against a side that had the tour sown up before kick off. That was the biggest difference between the first two tests and the third test - not Cipriani.

As for the change they really need to make? It's the guy at the top, zero doubt about that in my eyes and plenty of evidence to suggest that Jones is the central problem.

You are spot on that Tuilagi being back creates new options, but then Tuilagi isn't exactly the most reliable either with his discipline and injury track record.

I think Ford, Farrell, Slade is a conservative but reliable half to mid field pairing. England doesn't need a big change at 10, 12, 13 - they have options there. They need a better back row and locks who can keep their discipline for 80 minutes.

The back line just needs some coaching, they run out of ideas often and early and their defensive shape in the backs has been continuously exposed over the last 12 months.

Again - it all comes down to coaching and selection which brings us right back to Jones. He has come out saying he has picked a team to win the physical battle. He keeps picking teams like that and they keep losing because there is more to the game than just physicality and every top 10 team has well conditioned forwards at this stage, England need to show an awful lot more.

• Advertisement

New Zealand are going to absolutely hump them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement