Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

A cursory glance on twitter and social media and people seem to hate the new calendar suggestion with many suggesting the players should strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Let's see in future years if TV money can make up the shortfall.

Extreme example but the NFL is the richest league/sport in the world and only has 20 competitive weekends including playoffs.

As a supporter I find a month of games to be too much. At least the Six Nations has break weeks.
    Will it though? And relying on tv money isnt exactly ideal?
    NFL is too extreme a comparison. Nothing really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This seems like good news for player welfare? What dastardly angle am I missing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This seems like good news for player welfare? What dastardly angle am I missing?

I guess the point is more that it is the internationals that are being sacrificed rather than club games. It means 3/4 of all summer tours will be understrength - which could conceivably threaten the international game down south especially. If they also start sending shadow squads up north then the whole international game outside 6N, RC and World Cup is potentially in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It is good for players, it's a general reduction in their gameplay. The problem is that I don't really feel any of that reduction should come from the international side but they're the only side that made a hard commitment. The players have a maximum, but who is going to miss out when a player reaches their maximum, the club or the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Will it though? And relying on tv money isnt exactly ideal?
    NFL is too extreme a comparison. Nothing really like it.

I have no idea.
    I'm saying that keeping more games is not the be all end all situation. The AIs can be shortened if other things fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Is this an issue for summer tours if it’s only England that are under strength? Ireland, Wales, France and Scotland can still send full strength sides to SH and lets face it, would an under strength England side have come off much worse in SA this Summer :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would be odd for the IRFU to adopt this approach seeing as they are the ones paying the players wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I have no idea.
    I'm saying that keeping more games is not the be all end all situation. The AIs can be shortened if other things fall into place.
    Very big if

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpFex3shGXs/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=50mf2f1s7qiu

I have no information on this other than it popped up on my feed

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpFex3shGXs/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=50mf2f1s7qiu

I have no information on this other than it popped up on my feed

It's from the 2000s at some point. Has popped up on liveleak, balls.ie and various youtube channels over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Campagnaro gets named in the Italy team one minute, gets fired the next :/

https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/chiefs-to-release-campagnaro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How weird. He's younger than I thought as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rumour mill says he's joining Wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Can we let Georgia into a Seven Nations?

If for no other reason than we can play Seven Nation Army endlessly on media promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It has one review :D
    This costs too much, is extremely lazy, and is a waste of time.
    Skip this and Action Portal games going forward.

Gameplay for those still curious:

I've a friend who played inter provincial women's rugby and I'm so incredibly tempted to gift her a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Campagnaro is leaving Exeter with immediate effect.
    Going to Wasps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Quade Cooper, such a gifted athlete, pity his attitude was so poor.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1055446709520736257?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/brits-returns-to-the-stormers-for-2019/609954

Schalk Brits signs for the stormers for next season !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not sure if this is the correct thread but Coleraine should consider themselves very bloody lucky.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1026/1006815-l5k-fine-for-vile-sexist-abuse-of-female-rugby-ref/

The fact that there is no sanction against those involved is a disgrace.

Buer wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct thread but Coleraine should consider themselves very bloody lucky.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1026/1006815-l5k-fine-for-vile-sexist-abuse-of-female-rugby-ref/

The fact that there is no sanction against those involved is a disgrace.
    None of the men responsible for the abuse have been identified or disciplined.

Actual grown ups going on like this. It breaks my mind the ignorance and stupidity. How do you get to adulthood and not realise how incredibly unacceptable that kind of behaviour is.

What the **** is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

When I started reading the article, I expected something along the lines of infantile, obnoxious behaviour involving inappropriate remarks, wolf whistling etc.

When I saw that the comments were more along the lines of ""Yo, you slag, you're a f***ing disgrace, you slag", I could not get my head around how this was put to bed so easily with a fine and the offending spectators unchecked.

The club comes off terribly from this. Without further details it's hard to know exactly how it played out but the fact that they were not sanctioned suggests there was some element of wagon circling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Some more detail below. It seems they have apologised, but don't seem to have condemned the behaviour in the way, or to the degree that you would expect.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-45979149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I assume Coleraine RFC is no more flush with cash than your average rugby club, so it's pretty poxy to let the club take a 5 grand fine when all and sundry must know who the perpetrators are.

Absolutely shocking behaviour, obviously, but some people are always going to be c**ts, no matter what. What makes this really bad is the attitude of both the club and the Ulster branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I assume Coleraine RFC is no more flush with cash than your average rugby club, so it's pretty poxy to let the club take a 5 grand fine when all and sundry must know who the perpetrators are.

Absolutely shocking behaviour, obviously, but some people are always going to be c**ts, no matter what. What makes this really bad is the attitude of both the club and the Ulster branch.

The CLUB know who they are. They are the ones protecting them. They should be fined more until the do the proper thing and identify them so they can be banned.

And while we all know full well that the club know who they are, if they can’t identify them then that’s also their responsibility.

The whole thing is disgraceful. Just what the profile of the sport needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The CLUB know who they are. They are the ones protecting them. They should be fined more until the do the proper thing and identify them so they can be banned.

And while we all know full well that the club know who they are, if they can’t identify them then that’s also their responsibility.

The whole thing is disgraceful. Just what the profile of the sport needed.

The people who hurled the abuse should be banned from attending Rugby grounds on the whole island for 12 months at least. It happens with the LOI where people get banned, and the guards actively enforce a number of these bans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement