Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They should have their memberships revoked from the club. At a minimum. That's shocking carry on.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The people who hurled the abuse should be banned from attending Rugby grounds on the whole island for 12 months at least. It happens with the LOI where people get banned, and the guards actively enforce a number of these bans

If you haven't learned in 20+ years what is and isn't acceptable I'm not sure what they'll learn in another 12 months.

I'm amazed there wasn't a row in the stands, not sure I'd personally be able to stay quiet if I heard that kind of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm amazed there wasn't a row in the stands, not sure I'd personally be able to stay quiet if I heard that kind of abuse.

This.

If anyone oversteps the boundaries of obvious common decency and behaviour someone steps in. On or off the pitch.
    I echo IBF comments. The club know the culprits.
    Shocking behaviour from all concerned. Top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In fairness to the club they may not. This was a Junior match I’d imagine, since she has only be subsequently passed for AIL. There are no stewards, no supervision of supporters at junior matches. People talk about bans, how would that be enforced? These aren’t enclosed grounds. I’m sure people in the club know who was involved, but proving it might be a different obstacle. If the ref had pointed them out to either coaches, then that might be different.

Regardless of that, it reflects very poorly on Coleraine RFC or possibly their opponents.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    People talk about bans, how would that be enforced? These aren’t enclosed grounds..

people have been banned from my local club for less.

its simple, you revoke membership and make it clear they are not welcome within the gates or there will be police involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct thread but Coleraine should consider themselves very bloody lucky.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1026/1006815-l5k-fine-for-vile-sexist-abuse-of-female-rugby-ref/

The fact that there is no sanction against those involved is a disgrace.
    Very very lucky
    Actual grown ups going on like this. It breaks my mind the ignorance and stupidity. How do you get to adulthood and not realise how incredibly unacceptable that kind of behaviour is.

What the **** is wrong with people.
    People all too often lose every sense of common sense/decency etc when on sidelines at games.
    In fairness to the club they may not. This was a Junior match I’d imagine, since she has only be subsequently passed for AIL. There are no stewards, no supervision of supporters at junior matches. People talk about bans, how would that be enforced? These aren’t enclosed grounds. I’m sure people in the club know who was involved, but proving it might be a different obstacle. If the ref had pointed them out to either coaches, then that might be different.

Regardless of that, it reflects very poorly on Coleraine RFC or possibly their opponents.
    People have been banned for less. people at gate told of people not to allow into games. You revoke membership of home club as a start and warn if they do turn up police will be involved.

People have been banned for less. people at gate told of people not to allow into games. You revoke membership of home club as a start and warn if they do turn up police will be involved.

Yeah that works fine for AIL matches when there is a gate, but not at junior matches. Maybe as Syd said they can be told their not welcome on club grounds but from my experience it would be hard to enforce.

Yeah that works fine for AIL matches when there is a gate, but not at junior matches. Maybe as Syd said they can be told their not welcome on club grounds but from my experience it would be hard to enforce.
    Not having gate shouldnt be factor. If club committee/club members actively work to enforce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You can be sure that if Coleraine didn't know who they were, they'd have been quick enough to say so at the hearing and avoid the fine.

On the other hand, the general public doesn't turn up to junior games. There's no one there who doesn't have some connection to the club or one of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A quick read of UAFC on the topic and they suggest that there were a couple of long term members as well as a significant club sponsor involved. Also not the first time the club have been reprimanded.

• Advertisement

Not having gate shouldnt be factor. If club committee/club members actively work to enforce it.

Which would require a high percentage of the members knowing about the ban and knowing the people in question. As a player I wouldn’t have a clue who the people watching a game were.

Blaming a club for the actions of people watching a game, who may well not even be members is harsh on the club, that’s just my opinion on it. These guys were arseholes, it’s them who are the problem.

If what Buer said is accurate then that’s very different.

Which would require a high percentage of the members knowing about the ban and knowing the people in question. As a player I wouldn’t have a clue who the people watching a game were.

Blaming a club for the actions of people watching a game, who may well not even be members is harsh on the club, that’s just my opinion on it. These guys were arseholes, it’s them who are the problem.

If what Buer said is accurate then that’s very different.
    They represent the club though and for that its not harsh at all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A quick read of UAFC on the topic and they suggest that there were a couple of long term members as well as a significant club sponsor involved. Also not the first time the club have been reprimanded.
    Someone connected to a sponsor and (this is even worse) a former club president apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Disgraceful tbh. Male or Female reffing a game it's totally wrong to abuse the officials.

I've a mate heavily involved with the gaa in meath. The stories he tells are unreal...parents at under 9's games roaring abuse at the ref and umpires. Effing and blinding and giving dogs abuse to the officials....at Under 9's.
    He's a great man though. Stopped a game o e Sunday morning and walked up to one lad and asked him to come on to the pitch and ref it seeing as he knows more than everyone else. Big red head on yer man and not a squeak from him again!!

So the club takes the hit and passes the fines along and no individuals get mentioned.

That would be enough for me to leave a club personally.
    mfceiling wrote: »
    Disgraceful tbh. Male or Female reffing a game it's totally wrong to abuse the officials.

I've a mate heavily involved with the gaa in meath. The stories he tells are unreal...parents at under 9's games roaring abuse at the ref and umpires. =

I dread this, I won't be able to bite my lip hard enough. Can't stand indecency, especially around kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So the club takes the hit and passes the fines along and no individuals get mentioned.

That would be enough for me to leave a club personally.

I dread this, I won't be able to bite my lip hard enough. Can't stand indecency, especially around kids.

My mate keeps hammering it home to the kids about respect. He also keeps putting reminders into the various whatsapp groups for parents to mind their language on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

So the Doddie Weir Cup that Wales and Scotland are playing for in the game being played outside the International window is not contributing anything to the Doddie Weir Fund.
    Classy from both Unions.

razorblunt wrote: »
    So the Doddie Weir Cup that Wales and Scotland are playing for in the game being played outside the International window is not contributing anything to the Doddie Weir Fund.
    Classy from both Unions.

In fairness, Weir and his charity are perfectly happy with the arrangements, other people are getting outraged on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

In fairness, Weir and his charity are perfectly happy with the arrangements, other people are getting outraged on his behalf.
    I've read that both unions are donating around £10,000 via other events and fundraisers, just not donating any of the match revenue itself. It was never billed as a charity match.
    I agree with you sounds like people looking for outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think there is both sides here. They probably organised the game before deciding to get him involved. But once they did they should just have presented a trophy. They shouldn't have made the whole game about him. Selling tickets with his name on them did feel like a money grab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think there is both sides here. They probably organised the game before deciding to get him involved. But once they did they should just have presented a trophy. They shouldn't have made the whole game about him. Selling tickets with his name on them did feel like a money grab.

There is quite a few fund raisers organised around this fixture now which wouldn't be happening if the fixture wasn't.

SRU are getting £1.2m apparently. Crowd of 55000 expected.

Peter Jackson on scrum V crucified the WRU for playing a game against a team minus their French and English based players, while Wales are also missing a few English based players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Accepting the arrangements doesn't mean he isn't getting screwed, and doesn't mean that the WRU/SRU are acting honourably.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"We'll pay you in exposure" - pile of bollocks.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Accepting the arrangements doesn't mean he isn't getting screwed, and doesn't mean that the WRU/SRU are acting honourably.

No, but there hasn't been any suggestion from anyone connected with either the charity or the unions that anyone has acted dishonorably. Quite the opposite, the statement from Scott Hastings was very complimentary of the unions.

No, but there hasn't been any suggestion from anyone connected with either the charity or the unions that anyone has acted dishonorably. Quite the opposite, the statement from Scott Hastings was very complimentary of the unions.

It's fairly clear to me what they were up to; take for example how the event is described on this page of the SRU website:
    Scotland will open the autumn campaign against their Six Nations rivals and contest the ‘Doddie Weir Cup’, as both teams support the former Scotland and British & Irish Lions player who has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

Many people read into the event as proceeds from the match going to the DW trust, and bought tickets for this very reason, e.g.:

https://twitter.com/y_hail/status/1056274699037085698

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Good piece by Ian McKinley on Jaime Heaslip's The Sports Chronicle.

https://www.thesportschronicle.com/rugby/ian-mckinley-italy-rugby/

There's a few other good interviews on that site too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Neil3030 wrote: »

The cynic can't help but think that £1000.01 is a 6 figure sum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

https://www.facebook.com/worldrugby/videos/1067676063392128

Maitland for me. Just for those 2 classy out of hand passes from Finn Russell.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/worldrugby/videos/1067676063392128

Maitland for me. Just for those 2 classy out of hand passes from Finn Russell.

Pretty sure there was a knock on and a forward pass for that.

I'd go for Barrett or Stander, too many breakdown's in the other tries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement