Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Good piece by Ian McKinley on Jaime Heaslip's The Sports Chronicle.

https://www.thesportschronicle.com/rugby/ian-mckinley-italy-rugby/

There's a few other good interviews on that site too

class article love the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

NZ new jersey. Bold choice of colour by adidas. Wasnt expecting that :)

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1057522422755311617?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    NZ new jersey. Bold choice of colour by adidas. Wasnt expecting that :)

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1057522422755311617?s=19

Strange there are no stripes on it and no stupid patterns either.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sexton is the bookmakers' favourite to win POTY with Murray second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Pretty sure there was a knock on and a forward pass for that.

I'd go for Barrett or Stander, too many breakdown's in the other tries.

I thought there might have been a neck roll in the build up to Maitland's try.

I'd agree with Barrett or Stander. CJ's is significant because of the match it was in and the score at the time. Barrett's was just a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement

Who was nominated?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Irish bookmakers?

Retalick should get the try for starting and finishing it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I see Gethin Jenkins is retiring after this weekend. Made his Welsh debut in 2002. Makes me wonder - are there any professionals currently playing who made their senior debut in the 90's?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dregin wrote: »
    I see Gethin Jenkins is retiring after this weekend. Made his Welsh debut in 2002. Makes me wonder - are there any professionals currently playing who made their senior debut in the 90's?

not sure...
    George Smith started in 2000 with the brumbies

edit: probably might not count, but Carlo Festuccia played ten minutes for Valorugby Emilia two weeks ago.... he made his debut in 1998
    hes a coach there but obviously was allowed to still play... whether thats "professional" is up to yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

dregin wrote: »

I think Stringer and O’Callaghan were the last of them, both retired last year althoug Stringer said he could have played on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Stringer and O’Callaghan were the last of them, both retired last year althoug Stringer said he could have played on.

George Smith was signed by the brumbies in 1999. But didn't make his debut till this millennium.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

England side to play South Africa. Very inexperienced pack that's down to 3rd and 4th choices in some areas. Also not convinced by the half backs or midfield. I think Farrell's a better 12 than 10. Te'o and Slade have yet to prove they are test quality.

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 21 caps)
    14 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 26 caps)
    13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 13 caps)
    12 Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors, 13 caps)
    11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 37 caps)
    10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 61 caps) co-captain
    9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 77 caps)

1 Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs, 2 caps)
    2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints, 93 caps) co-captain
    3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 13 caps)
    4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 22 caps)
    5 George Kruis (Saracens, 25 caps)
    6 Brad Shields (Wasps, 2 caps)
    7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 4 caps)
    8 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 4 caps)

Subs
    16 Jamie George (Saracens, 28 caps)
    17 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
    18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 11 caps)
    19 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 6 caps)
    20 Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
    21 Danny Care (Harlequins, 81 caps)
    22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 47 caps)
    23 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 26 caps)

It's better than the rumoured team but still not an ideal 23 to go and face a resurgent South Africa.

Should be the game of the weekend all the same, awkward kick off time though - probably going to have to record this one and watch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

It's better than the rumoured team but still not an ideal 23 to go and face a resurgent South Africa.

Should be the game of the weekend all the same, awkward kick off time though - probably going to have to record this one and watch back.

Boks are missing Le Roux and De Klerk remember. Arguably their two best backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

The Springboks should absolutely munch that England pack on paper. Think it will come down to the halfbacks though.

Sexton has been nominated for World Rugby Player of the Year.

Beauden Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Faf de Klerk and Malcolm Marx are the other nominees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Clegg wrote: »

Beauden Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Faf de Klerk and Malcolm Marx are the other nominees.

He's the only Northern Hemisphere candidate? Weird.

I'd give it to Marx, he's a freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Ashton replaces tuilagi on the bench tomorrow. A back line with him may daly and nowell all in it is very exciting

Has to be Faf. He's been brilliant all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Who was the last NH winner?

kuang1 wrote: »
    Who was the last NH winner?

Dusatoir. In 2011.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

i think the nov internationals will actually have a big bearing on this.

while marx and faf have been excellent, theyve won nothing really. one test gamne against NZ in NZ is really the pinnacle as far this year.... theyve also been beaten by Argentina

BB, while also being excellent... has had some dodgy days under the spotlight in international games.... most notably that SA game. Also, will they give it to him to make it 3 in a row?? is he as good this year as previous years?

Sexton might actually be a good bet here.... coming to the end of his career so may get the nostalgia vote. Has the winning of the grand slam in his pocket.... with his drop goal in france now the thing of legend.
    If ireland beat the ABs with him at the helm in a weeks time i think hes a shoo in.

No offence to Reiko but i dont even think hes the best member of the Ioane household :D and playing wing for NZ must be an armchair ride :)
    but seriously, his record of 22 tries in 21 game is simply outstanding
    6 in his last 4 game against rugby cmapionship level teams.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

They've all been brilliant, that's why they are nominated.

Sexton won a six nations and a tour to Australia. He was a defining player in every aspect of both of those victories and scored the winning points against France with a piece of exquisite skill at the death.

His performance against Wales was one of the best out half performances I've ever seen.

If he has a good Autumn he should get it. If we beat the All Blacks he's a shoe in.

Wouldn't be surprised if Faf gets it though, World Rugby seems all in on supporting South African rugby out of the mire at the moment.

he's a shoe in.

tut tut Venjur !

sydthebeat wrote: »
    tut tut Venjur !

I'm just putting it down as a typo.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i think the nov internationals will actually have a big bearing on this.

while marx and faf have been excellent, theyve won nothing really. one test gamne against NZ in NZ is really the pinnacle as far this year.... theyve also been beaten by Argentina

BB, while also being excellent... has had some dodgy days under the spotlight in international games.... most notably that SA game. Also, will they give it to him to make it 3 in a row?? is he as good this year as previous years?

Sexton might actually be a good bet here.... coming to the end of his career so may get the nostalgia vote. Has the winning of the grand slam in his pocket.... with his drop goal in france now the thing of legend.
    If ireland beat the ABs with him at the helm in a weeks time i think hes a shoo in.

No offence to Reiko but i dont even think hes the best member of the Ioane household :D and playing wing for NZ must be an armchair ride :)
    but seriously, his record of 22 tries in 21 game is simply outstanding
    6 in his last 4 game against rugby cmapionship level teams.

Hold on. You're downplaying the significance of winning a game against the ABs!!! You Paddies have written songs, plays and books about the winning one game against the ABs. You've made documentaries and released DVDs about it. At least SA managed to do it in NZ and in a competitive match.
    :D:D:D

In all seriousness, if Ireland beat the ABs in a couple of weeks then Sexton will probably win WPOTY. And deserve to win it. I agree about Barrett and Ioane. I don't think they have been as good as they were last year. Still freakishly good players and I'm very happy they're ABs.

As for your point that Faf and Marx haven't won anything, well that didn't stop Wood or Dusautoir :mad: from picking up the award in the past. Also don't be so quick to slag them for losing to Argentina. Ireland still has to play the Argies ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My understanding was that it covers the period of last years AIs to now, but I could be wrong on that.

Can't believe South Africa get two nominations, they've only played well twice in the last 12 months.

Wouldn't have nominated either Saffer tbh. They're getting in off the back of a few good games. Murray and Furlong have been influential for sides that actually had successful campaigns. Retallick's missed a few games but should still be there as well.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't have nominated either Saffer tbh. They're getting in off the back of a few good games. Murray and Furlong have been influential for sides that actually had successful campaigns. Retallick's missed a few games but should still be there as well.

The Boks beat England in a series and got 2nd in the RC. Faf and Marks were very influential. Retallick has been outstanding but ha only played 2 or 3 games I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement