Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    Could have ended up with egg on his face, but that was the most lackluster defending I’ve ever seen.

It is but looking at the lads, I'd say that's a combination of over 35s and J6. The winger who walks in front of the camera (11) is built more like a tighthead.

I'd say the lad who pulled if off has played a bit at a decent level and just decided to take the p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I have tried this many a time over the years in various forms of tip rugby - and have failed in every single attempt

Sadly, it is also illegal. A rugby ball cannot be stuck with the heel for it to be counted as a kick.

Not sure what the sanction is though. Penalty presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I imagine that was a wise investment in 1994 when they bought it. Farmland off the Naas road. No luas or m50. (although I suppose both were rumoured)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have tried this many a time over the years in various forms of tip rugby - and have failed in every single attempt

Sadly, it is also illegal. A rugby ball cannot be stuck with the heel for it to be counted as a kick.

Not sure what the sanction is though. Penalty presumably

i think its counted as a knock on off the leg... as its hit forward from the heel and not regathered before it hits the ground ??

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i think its counted as a knock on off the leg... as its hit forward from the heel and not regathered before it hits the ground ??

That makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Large income. great.
    shame IRFU didnt do anything with that site. GAA has some huge clubs around edge of city. That site could have been used so well for everything from helping new clubs to training base/centre of excellence.

Large income. great.
    shame IRFU didnt do anything with that site. GAA has some huge clubs around edge of city. That site could have been used so well for everything from helping new clubs to training base/centre of excellence.

Yeah. Undoubtedly the site will be housing. I'm in favour of any property being built at the moment.

But it would have been nice to see it being utilised for sports

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Large income. great.

Most of the GAA clubs out that direction have fairly big grounds that are well developed, but I agree, a centre of excellence would've been a great investment given the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Large income. great.

They did plenty in the end, that's a nice wedge of cash!
    I imagine the money tied up in the Aviva/Thomond Park/Ravenhill meant nothing was going to be put towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Most of the GAA clubs out that direction have fairly big grounds that are well developed, but I agree, a centre of excellence would've been a great investment given the location.
    And there isnt any real rugby clubs like that when there really should be.
    But a centre of excellence to be used by irish age grade sides, regional sides etc etc would have been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    It is but looking at the lads, I'd say that's a combination of over 35s and J6. The winger who walks in front of the camera (11) is built more like a tighthead.

I'd say the lad who pulled if off has played a bit at a decent level and just decided to take the p*ss.

I'd have to say that's the sort of showboating that would attract a good shoeing in a later ruck. But yeah it was clearly VERY social rugby :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

errlloyd wrote: »
    I imagine that was a wise investment in 1994 when they bought it. Farmland off the Naas road. No luas or m50. (although I suppose both were rumoured)

The original unextended M50 was there at that stage, ending at Firhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Alien Vs Predator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Alien Vs Predator ?

HealthyAmazingChick.webp

#neverforget

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Had a chuckle about the reason for the penalty that came up on the screen. "Illegal wheeling". After the scrum had been driven back 15 metres. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

aren't the Maori all fully pro??

CatFromHue wrote: »
    aren't the Maori all fully pro??

Yeah; most of them are Super Rugby starters and fringe All Blacks.

Sorry you are correct, I jumped the gun but it's believed to be Exeter. Unconfirmed however.
    Confirmed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

troyzer wrote: »
    HealthyAmazingChick.webp

#neverforget

Still makes me chuckle. Every time.

Not the actual act but the whingefest that followed.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Still makes me chuckle. Every time.

Not the actual act but the whingefest that followed.

I'm sure you'd be quite philosophical about it if Dan Leavy and Bundee Aki did the same thing to Barrett on Saturday.

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd be quite philosophical about it if Dan Leavy and Bundee Aki did the same thing to Barrett on Saturday.

As a fan I'd probably be pissed but I wouldn't decide to never watch Irish rugby ever again (even when they play the ABs). I know Irish rugby fans who have done this. Or at least proudly declared that they haven't watched an All Blacks game since that incident.

Also I don't think AB management would wheel out a political spin-doctor to take the media through a video and powerpoint session about the incident. Or call for assault charges.

Thats the crap I find funny. I'm just surprised there hasn't been a play written about it.

As a fan I'd probably be pissed but I wouldn't decide to never watch Irish rugby ever again (even when they play the ABs). I know Irish rugby fans who have done this. Or at least proudly declared that they haven't watched an All Blacks game since that incident.

Also I don't think AB management would wheel out a political spin-doctor to take the media through a video and powerpoint session about the incident. Or call for assault charges.

Thats the crap I find funny. I'm just surprised there hasn't been a play written about it.

I've never heard of fans like that? Is this a mythical thing like the All Blacks being on the wrong side of a 50/50 call?

I have never, ever heard anyone say they would boycott the All Blacks over that instance. Haven't seen a serious post on the matter in a long time, the only references I've come across are purely tongue in cheek.

Most of the more cantankerous noise these days is from Kiwi's telling people to get over it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd rather never hear about it again tbh. It's not even funny when it comes up tongue in cheek. It was over a decade ago. I think we can all move on at this stage....

I didn't bring it up!!

It was my mate's parents who told me that they never watch the ABs any more even when they play Ireland. They were big rugby fans, Leinster season ticket holders. In fairness I don't hear about it much any more. It was bad the first few years I was living in Ireland. People were constantly bringing it up. The last time it mentioned to me was when I got lectured about All Black thuggery at the brother-in-law's wedding in Nov 2016 and of course the BOD incident was brought up. My usual response is that BOD is over rated, wasn't that good, never would have made the ABs etc. That usually causes people to lose their **** :D

I didn't bring it up!!

It was my mate's parents who told me that they never watch the ABs any more even when they play Ireland. They were big rugby fans, Leinster season ticket holders. In fairness I don't hear about it much any more. It was bad the first few years I was living in Ireland. People were constantly bringing it up. The last time it mentioned to me was when I got lectured about All Black thuggery at the brother-in-law's wedding in Nov 2016 and of course the BOD incident was brought up. My usual response is that BOD is over rated, wasn't that good, never would have made the ABs etc. That usually causes people to lose their **** :D
    So you're winding each other up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd rather never hear about it again tbh. It's not even funny when it comes up tongue in cheek. It was over a decade ago. I think we can all move on at this stage....

My internal organs cringe when I see that photo.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So you're winding each other up. :D

I don't start the fight but if they push it, I fight dirty (obviously its a kiwi thing :D) ... and I win. Which is also a kiwi thing :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement