Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Another pic of BOD & Umaga making up, without Guinness intervention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Hi - I need a pair of wide-fitting rugby boots as I have some custom made orthotics I need to wear. My current Canterburys leave me in agony around the toes after wearing them. Would appreciate if anyone can point me in the direction of a pair of boots that are wide-fitting. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

madds wrote: »
    Hi - I need a pair of wide-fitting rugby boots as I have some custom made orthotics I need to wear. My current Canterburys leave me in agony around the toes after wearing them. Would appreciate if anyone can point me in the direction of a pair of boots that are wide-fitting. Cheers.

Adidas Kakari are probably the widest boots I've used with the most support

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hummmm

Te'o - Addison
    Shields - Graham
    Hughes - Moriarty, Polledri

if you wanted them Eddie, you shouldn't have imported players ahead of them.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    hummmm

Te'o - Addison
    Shields - Graham

Dylan Hartley didn't leave New Zealand until he was almost 21 and played all his formative rugby there before signing for Worchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Hartley was way younger than that when he moved to England, only about 14 or 15 as far as I remember - he left school in NZ to do so

He was 20 when he joined Northampton though

jr86 wrote: »
    Hartley was way younger than that when he moved to England, only about 14 or 15 as far as I remember - he left school in NZ to do so

You could well be correct, someone mentioned to me when the whole Brad Shields thing happened over the Summer that by the time Hartley moved north he was too old for under age rugby and his first involvement with England was the development side (Saxons?).

jr86 wrote: »

he moved over in 2002 aged 16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

hummmm

Te'o - Addison
    Shields - Graham

Cant believe I am defending Eddie Jones, but did he mention those players or was it a slight of hand by Robert Kitson to slip those names into the piece to stretch out a pretty much non newsworthy article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Webbs wrote: »
    Cant believe I am defending Eddie Jones, but did he mention those players or was it a slight of hand by Robert Kitson to slip those names into the piece to stretch out a pretty much non newsworthy article

Where did you see that?

Webbs wrote: »

im just pointing out the hypocrisy in his words by showing hes imported southern hemispehere players ahead of homegrown... so he should be as "thankful" to australia and new zealand as hes suggest ireland, scotland and wales should be to them.

i dont really care what he sh!tes on about to be honest.. .hes just stirring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Teo is not an international level player imo. Shields is a disappointment and Hughes is decent. England have turned away from the pool of talent in front of them and reached for the exotic overseas lad. That being said, a lot of the problems they have are caused by the clubs. The players are flogged and there is little concern for welfare. Eddie has very little control as compared to JS. Kick on the fact that he seems to stick with the same horses, who imo are past it. It's no wonder they have nosedived.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Kick on the fact that he seems to stick with the same horses, who imo are past it. It's no wonder they have nosedived.

From the team that started the final game of the winning 2017 6N campaign to the side that started against NZ last weekend, there were 10 changes.

Maybe he was slow to do it but Jones has definitely responded and cut some of the guys who had become complacent or weren't delivering along with a number of injury enforced replacements.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a test coach who doesn't remain overly loyal to guys who have delivered for him in the past. The limited access that the coaches have to the players will always mean change is slow to happen.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Teo is not an international level player imo. Shields is a disappointment and Hughes is decent. England have turned away from the pool of talent in front of them and reached for the exotic overseas lad. That being said, a lot of the problems they have are caused by the clubs. The players are flogged and there is little concern for welfare. Eddie has very little control as compared to JS. Kick on the fact that he seems to stick with the same horses, who imo are past it. It's no wonder they have nosedived.

I don't think you can pick one player out of the starting 15 vs New Zealand or SA who is "past it" other than maybe Hartley, which is arguable.

If anything this year he's really changed the squad, not selecting the likes of Mike Brown and Haskell, starting Slade and bringing Ashton back into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think you can pick one player out of the starting 15 vs New Zealand or SA who is "past it" other than maybe Hartley, which is arguable.

And, if you believe the comments posted here recently regarding Jones' opinions of Hartley, he is viewed as absolutely critical to the side from a leadership perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah he's only 32 yet - which I found hard to believe, I assumed he was mid 30s by now - so still should have a few years left in him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Chat between O'Driscoll and Umaga with Andrew Trimble, including some insight into training with Joe

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Intense schadenfreude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Well lads anyone know of a place to stream tbe match live or to watch a replay afterwards? In a quiete spot in oz at the minute with very few irish around so none of the bars will be showing it live or doing a breakfast for it. Thanks in advance

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

kuang1 wrote: »
    What does "financial upheaval" mean?

Cost cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Cost cutting

I would have thought that they have bottomless coffers though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

kuang1 wrote: »
    Cost cutting

I would have thought that they have bottomless coffers though?

The RFU has been struggling financially for years. Most unions have. The IRFU is one of the only ones that makes a profit.

After the game yesterday Sexton had gone from 2/1 to 1/2 for World player of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/bath-rugby-v-worcester-warriors-2231651

Monthey Rugby makes its mark at the Rec. Our prop Enzo didn’t find the weather so cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

After the game yesterday Sexton had gone from 2/1 to 1/2 for World player of the year

does the game get taken into account?

Sangre wrote: »
    does the game get taken into account?

I've no idea but I'd be utterly shocked if Sexton didn't get it at this stage. I am prepared to be utterly shocked however!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I've no idea but I'd be utterly shocked if Sexton didn't get it at this stage. I am prepared to be utterly shocked however!

Voting was last week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement